View Full Version : Shows you'd like to see again on TV/DVD

Ronald1973
09-19-2006, 10:42 PM
What's a classic TV fan to do, lol? Some shows are starting to make it out on DVD (yes, finally The White Shadow made it!) but there are still many that haven't made it out to DVD and aren't being shown on TV any longer.

One show that automatically comes to mind is Barnaby Jones. I vaguely remember it as a regular series when I was a kid, but mainly remember it from reruns. A few years ago, PAX-TV started airing it again, but suddenly stopped saying that it might never be shown again! :tears: It sported an all-star cast and ran for quite a few years. It seems to me that A & E or someone would have picked it up by now, but no dice.

B.J. and the Bear/Lobo is another show that hasn't made it out to TV or DVD to my knowledge. I know this might be considered along the lines of corny TV, but I loved it as kid. With CMT picking up The Dukes of Hazzard and shows like Trick My Truck, it's a little surprising they haven't decided on BJ!

Hee-Haw. Well, it's technically out on DVD, but Time-Life is piece-mealing it to death. Out of almost 600 episodes, they've released only a handful. CMT was showing some of the episodes last month, but then inexplicably dropped it again.

So what shows would you like to see again?

Aage
09-19-2006, 11:13 PM
"My Mother The Car"? I loved that car. What was it? An Edsel?

Ronald1973
09-19-2006, 11:16 PM
I believe it was an Edsel, lol!

OvenMaster
09-19-2006, 11:31 PM
1. Without a doubt, Roswell. Yeah, the entire series is out now on DVD, but I just wish they'd re-air them. Then I could save 'em on videotape for free! :D
2. No question about it: Max Headroom. I didn't have a VCR when it was first shown and unceremoniously dumped by ABC for being too close to actual portrayals of TV executives!
Tom

Ronald1973
09-20-2006, 06:41 AM
rofl @ #2!!!!

Aage
09-20-2006, 07:21 AM
Oh yeah, Max Headroom, that's a strong n-n-n-N-NUMber 2! Number 2.

Sandy G
09-20-2006, 07:40 AM
Outer Limits. Yeah, make it B&W, DON'T "Politically-Correct" it to death, just have some good stories that scare the $#*% outta us...

ekimetsok
09-20-2006, 08:04 AM
"My Mother (voiced by Ann Southern) The Car" was a 1928 Porter.

Sandy G
09-20-2006, 08:13 AM
I think the actual car was a '26 or '27 Ford T-model, heavily modified. If I could see the front axle, I could tell, as Model-Ts had no front brakes, & a transverse spring.. Another possibility is that it was a '28 Ford A-model, but it looks more like a T.

Glen B
09-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Outer Limits. Yeah, make it B&W, DON'T "Politically-Correct" it to death, just have some good stories that scare the $#*% outta us...

Got cable ? The Outer Limits can be seen Wednesdays on Showtime Beyond. :thmbsp: Two episodes are on starting at 10:00PM tonight and on Wednesday 27th they will be showing 8 episodes.

ekimetsok
09-20-2006, 12:58 PM
It would not be unusual for "My Mother the Car's" producers to take artistic license with a prop, so hodrodding a Ford is certainly within reason. However, the lyrics to the theme song reveal:

MY MOTHER THE CAR
Theme by Paul Hampton

Everybody knows in a second life, we all come back sooner or later.
As anything from a pussycat to a man eating alligator.
Well you all may think my story, is more fiction than it's fact.
But believe it or not my mother dear decided she'd come back.

As a car...
She's my very own guiding star.
A 1928 Porter.
That's my mother dear.
'Cause she helps me through everything I do
And I'm so glad she's near.

My Mother the Car.
My Mother the Car.

Sandy G
09-20-2006, 01:16 PM
Wikipedia said the actual car was made by George Barris using a bunch of different parts from various makes. But I still think the basic chassis was either a T or A Model Ford-Back in the mid-'60s, they were cheap, readily available, strong, & could be easily modified to accomodate virtually any engine/drivetrain combination. It prolly wasn't run too much-I'd guess they had a fair amount of "stock" footage of the car, turning, driving past the camera, pulling to a stop, etc. The "Batmobile" was a '56 Lincoln Futura showcar that was similarly modified by Barris, & there were really only about 5 or 6 different scenes of the Batmobile moving, if you remember.

Aage
09-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Wow, was I off, Edsels certainly weren't around in 1928!

Thanks for the clarification, ekimetsok er, Mike.

meggy
09-20-2006, 01:21 PM
The Prisoner! (late sixties)
Patrick McGoohan was a british secret agent ("number six") trapped on a wierd island that looked like a resort in Puerto Vallarta. When he tries to escape a outer limit-ish weather balloon thing bounces along, smothers him up and brings him back to his suite so he can start all over again.

All the time he's plotting to kill the (never seen) warden "number one". I think in the end he discovers that he has been "number one", all along.

Full of sexy british women, violence, bizzare sub-plots and sub-text, it was just perfect to help mold a pre-teen's psyche.

Andyman
09-20-2006, 01:30 PM

The originals ARE available; I picked up a few discs from the library a few weeks back. They're pretty good, but tend to get preachy and predictable in their development after a while.
Best taken in smaller doses :yes:

I'm pretty sure "The Prisoner" out there on DVD too. And if you like that, Emma Peel will certainly also be on the list :thmbsp: I've got 1965 V1-6 of "The Avengers" on VHS :yes:

soundweasel
09-20-2006, 01:31 PM
"X-Files", "Outer Limits", "Twilight Zone" (original with Rod Serling) all of which I believe are available on DVD. And any/all of the "bad" sci-fi "B" movies!

Movies that I (re)view every year -- "Nightmare Before Christmas", "King Kong" (original) and "Apocalypse Now" (preferably on a hot, humid summer night). Go figure. :scratch2:

Dusty Chalk
09-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Early seasons of Reboot.

Fernzee
09-20-2006, 02:39 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing an update of Airwolf. I watched most of them as a kid, and in the last year rented the rest from Netflix.
Love that opening theme song.

Reel 2 Reel
09-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Early seasons of Reboot.

Reboot was cool...I have all 4 seasons.. I wish they would finish it ...

Hexadecimal was a Hottie!!! :yes:

Sandy G
09-20-2006, 03:53 PM
"Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea", "Time Tunnel", Land of the Giants',& of course, "Lost in Space"-all the Irwin Allen potboilers

Scorpion8
09-20-2006, 04:21 PM
UFO. Space 1999. Yea, they were cheesy but they were classic SciFi.

Sandy G
09-20-2006, 04:25 PM
"WKRP In Cincinnati"- LOVED Mr Carlson-he had absolutely NO IDEA what was going on, & wanted it that way...Also found Bailey MUCH hotter than Jennifer...

Dusty Chalk
09-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Reboot was cool...I have all 4 seasons.. I wish they would finish it ...

Hexadecimal was a Hottie!!! :yes:You liked Hexadecimal? :screwy: But yeah, that dominatrix outfit...

Me, I always liked Mouse. And in later episodes, AndrAIa (I think that's how it's spelled).

Did you see the two movies?

And what do you mean, you have all 4 seasons? Not on DVD, do you? You mean you videotaped them all, right? I have the first couple, but then my local station stopped showing them.

OvenMaster
09-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Patrick McGoohan was a british secret agent ("number six") trapped on a wierd island that looked like a resort in Puerto Vallarta. When he tries to escape a outer limit-ish weather balloon thing bounces along, smothers him up and brings him back to his suite so he can start all over again.

All the time he's plotting to kill the (never seen) warden "number one". I think in the end he discovers that he has been "number one", all along.

Full of sexy british women, violence, bizzare sub-plots and sub-text, it was just perfect to help mold a pre-teen's psyche.
My local PBS outlet showed all 17 episodes in order one year. I was lucky enough to snag 'em all on tape, and they look mahvelous! :D
Tom

Aage
09-20-2006, 08:59 PM

Yes!! Even Better than My Mother The Car! Patrick McGoohan yelling "I am NOT a number", then hopping into a Mini Moke and roaring off.

Fantastic writing for back then. It would stand up well, even today.

Ronald1973
09-20-2006, 09:58 PM
"Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea", "Time Tunnel", Land of the Giants',& of course, "Lost in Space"-all the Irwin Allen potboilers
For a while, Sci-Fi was re-airing all of those except for "Time Tunnel." I know "Lost In Space" is out on DVD, but I'm not sure of any of the rest.

As for "My Mother, the Car" I have to be honest and say I've never watched it. No one around here showed it in reruns, so that would explain it I guess. Honestly, though, after reading about the plot of the show, I've never understood why the show got such a bad rap. It was no different than any other mid-60's sitcom. Come on, 7 people stranded on a deserted island w/ all the trappings of civilization but never able to leave is pretty cooky (though I love the show! :D ). "Addams Family," "The Munsters," and most of the other sitcoms were all cheesy and weird to an extent, so why the bad rap for Jerry Van Dyke and "My Mother The Car?" Can anyone fill me in on that? :scratch2:

Ronald1973
09-21-2006, 05:29 AM
Oh, and let me add "Flipper" to the list!

Arkay
09-21-2006, 06:43 AM
A big "ditto" to the classic Sci Fi series (did anyone mention the original "Battlestar Galactica" series?) as well as "Outer Limits" and "Twilight Zone", and "The Prisoner". I would also add the original series of "The Avenger" [Emma Peel was scrumptious...], and "The Fugitive".

Not that they were any good (I doubt they were) but just out of nostalgia for shows seen in childhood I'd like to see the talking horse series "Mr. Ed", the short-lived cop comedy "Car 54, Where Are You?", and "Gilligan's Island", along with "My Three Sons", "The Andy Griffith Show", "The Dick Van Dyke Show", "Leave it to Beaver" and even that stupid series with the know-it-all maid named Hazel (not sure of show name).

I'd love to see all those old 50s "B" horror flicks, too. Subscribed to TCM (Turner Classic Movies) hoping to see some of those, but in the two years I've had it, I think I've only seen ONE. Seems those were not in the libraries (esp. MGM) that Turner bought. Oh, well.

2DualsNotEnough
09-21-2006, 07:22 AM
"X-Files", "Outer Limits", "Twilight Zone" (original with Rod Serling) all of which I believe are available on DVD. And any/all of the "bad" sci-fi "B" movies!

Movies that I (re)view every year -- "Nightmare Before Christmas", "King Kong" (original) and "Apocalypse Now" (preferably on a hot, humid summer night). Go figure. :scratch2:

I see that "Nightmare Before Christmas" is going to be released again in theatres this fall in 3D.Should be cool....
Jimmy

soundmotor
09-22-2006, 07:22 AM
1. Without a doubt, Roswell. Yeah, the entire series is out now on DVD, but I just wish they'd re-air them. Then I could save 'em on videotape for free! :D
2. No question about it: Max Headroom. I didn't have a VCR when it was first shown and unceremoniously dumped by ABC for being too close to actual portrayals of TV executives!
Tom

Now that is weird. My vidiot buddy has Max Headroom on beta from way back when and we were just talking about getting them onto a hard drive so they can be put to DVD.

soundmotor
09-22-2006, 07:22 AM
I see that "Nightmare Before Christmas" is going to be released again in theatres this fall in 3D.Should be cool....
Jimmy
I have that on laser disc.

soundmotor
09-22-2006, 07:24 AM
Early seasons of Reboot.

I'd buy those. That was pretty far out there.

soundmotor
09-22-2006, 07:26 AM
UFO. Space 1999. Yea, they were cheesy but they were classic SciFi.

UFO is available on DVD as is Space 1999. So is The Prisoner. All on my list. My wife gave me the Emma Peel boxed set of The Avengers for Christmas last year. John Steed is still the coolest.

soundmotor
09-22-2006, 07:30 AM
Anyone remember the TV series Please Don't Eat the Daisies?

A writer & his family own this huge house that is so big and has so many rooms that people regularly get lost in the upper floors? Perky wife, 2 boys & Lad-a-Dog, the dog, round it out. There was a movie of the same name but it did not have that crazy house twist as I recall. Would have been the same period as My Mother the Car.

danhagan
09-22-2006, 07:46 AM
Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman!!!!
Saint Elsewher
Molly Dodd

Sandy G
09-22-2006, 08:24 AM
Hill Street Blues....Always wanted Furillo to blow his stack at all the whiny, snivelling "children" he had to deal with...Would have given that high falutin' biach Joyce a "Good Talking To" as well...Loved the Sgt. Esterhaus/Michael Conrad character...

Dusty Chalk
09-22-2006, 05:01 PM
Now that is weird. My vidiot buddy has Max Headroom on beta from way back when and we were just talking about getting them onto a hard drive so they can be put to DVD.I have the pilot on laserdisc. My first ever eBay purchase, the one for which I signed up and made an account.

soundmotor
09-22-2006, 05:25 PM
I have the pilot on laserdisc. My first ever eBay purchase, the one for which I signed up and made an account.

That's the blipvert one isn't it?

Dusty Chalk
09-22-2006, 05:49 PM
There's also a blipvert episode, the first one, I think. The pilot was like the over-arcing storyline condensed into about 2 hours, IIRC. Mostly blipvert, though, yes. I got it because Midge Ure (Ultravox guy) did the soundtrack, unlike the rest of the series.

RussinOhio
09-23-2006, 11:16 AM
MST3K!!!!! (Mystery Sience Theatre 3000).

It was a sad day for me when I found out that the sci-fi channel dropped this series. For a while they began running repeats but then they dropped those as well sometime in 2004. Some of the episodes are available on DVD but not all of them. No more new episodes is bummer enough, but even worse there is not a single cable channel running the repeats!

I miss Mike, Crow & Tom Servo.( AND Joel & Pearl too!)
One of the wittiest & funniest shows ever created. It is missed by many fans I'd bet.

Russ

BULLWINKLE
09-23-2006, 01:30 PM
"My Favorite Martian" on sunday evenings.

Sandy G
09-23-2006, 04:52 PM
"Crime Story". Miami Vice set in 1963 Chicago & Las Vegas...

AudioKeith
09-23-2006, 06:41 PM
Agree with MST3K, Everyone knew not to disturb when it was on. A classic. Also would like to see "The Time Tunnel", the original "The Avengers" and a classic 60s cartoon show "Thunderbirds".

meggy
09-23-2006, 07:11 PM
In the goofy music Category:
The Monkees (Ever read about them making that show? Those guys sat in their trailor and got 120% seriously stoned before taping!). Too funny.

In the cartoon category:
Rocky & Bullwinkle
Wallace & Ladmo (an Arizona thing).
Old Tex Avery "shorts". When stuff was hand drawn. That was art.

Sandy G
09-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Tex Avery ! Now yer talkin'...ESPECIALLY the "Screwy Squirrel" series...Or "George 'n' Junior".... Actually, any of the ww2 "propaganda" cartoons...Pre-war "Popeyes" when Popeye & BLUTO beat the livin' chit outta each other...

meggy
09-23-2006, 07:49 PM
SG - They're just so bizzare!

Sandy G
09-23-2006, 08:04 PM
Aww, chit ! I remember the one where the cat & the mouse drink that stuff that makes 'em grow huge-priceless...And Droopy...Omigawd...And the way the characters acted when a sexy woman came around..Ahh-OOOOO-Gahh...truly inspired nuttiness...Tex Avery must have been a genius or half mad...Maybe both...

devoid
09-23-2006, 08:07 PM
I just got a CED player and a stack of discs. Looking forward to the Rocky and Bull Winkle one.

RussinOhio
09-24-2006, 12:04 AM
An old series even before MY time called" Science Fiction Theatre". The Sci-Fi channel used to run the repeats back in the late 1990's. In case you don't know, think cheap version of "Twighlight Zone".

I enjoyed this old show with all it's cheesiness! :banana:

Russ

Dusty Chalk
09-24-2006, 02:04 AM
I have Tex Avery on laserdisc.

whell
09-24-2006, 09:42 AM
"Night Court"! A comedy with a heart.

Sandy G
09-24-2006, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I never could decide who I loved the most- Selma Diamond or Florence Halop...

Reel 2 Reel
09-24-2006, 10:16 AM
Yup...I gotta agree...bring back night court... even if its in re-runs... I havent seen it in a loooong time....

I dont know bout you ...but I always had a case of the hotts for Markie Post!! :thmbsp:

She was a hottie!! :banana:

Earlsays
09-25-2006, 12:20 AM
Man, why can't they bring back or remake GOOD shows....like BJ and the Bear...A man and his monkey now there's a concept I can't get enough of :thmbsp:

Dusty Chalk
09-25-2006, 01:43 AM
Reminds me: Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp.

theodoric
09-25-2006, 09:43 AM
The Avengers has been out on DVD for years.

I'd like to see The Green Hornet re-released.

onepixel
09-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Lots a great shows mentioned. I'm sure lots of them will reincarnate as movies, since Hollywood can't seem to come up with anymore original ideas.

I liked Northern Exposures. I saw the show in reruns only, it was fun and quirky. I watched the cartoon "the Flea" on Saturday mornings with my daughter years ago. And I thought a talking sponge was strange, the Flea was a superhero with dead pan humor and his side kick was Little Wooden Boy. A stick doll.

soundmotor
09-27-2006, 07:34 AM
I dont know bout you ...but I always had a case of the hotts for Markie Post!! :thmbsp:

If you look up "80's Hair" in the latest Webster's Collegiate dictionary, that picture is in there; really!

:yes:

BuckNaked
09-27-2006, 03:04 PM
I'll second the Night Court 'Markie Post' nomination.
Let me throw in I Dream Of Jeannie. Nobody hotter than Barbara Eden at 20 years old. Catch her in Voyage to the Bottom of The Sea (or was that 20,000 leagues Under The Sea?), I love a woman in a perfectly tailored uniform! I can;t imagine who they'd put in the role, but I could fantasize Jennifer Love Hewitt in the outfit.

I want to see UltraMan again. Things are never as you remember them, but I was a huuuge UltraMan fan as a kid.

DanTana
09-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Fernwood Tonight

TriodeGuy
09-28-2006, 06:26 PM
A short lived show that aired on Fox in the early 90's called Profit....died before its time.

Cop Rock, I'm like one of only 3 people on the planet that actually liked this show.

JerryM
09-28-2006, 07:14 PM
I'd like to see Ben Casey again. He was my hero was I was a kid. Made me want to be a doctor. Kildare was a wimp, but Ben Casey was a mensch.

I'd also like to see The Fugitive. The original B & W from the mid 60s with David Janssen. Great TV drama.

Also gotta mention Dobie Gillis. With Bob Denver as Maynard G. Krebs ("work!!!") Very funny, and a better character than Gilligan, IMO.

Sandy G
09-28-2006, 08:10 PM
"The F.B.I.'... Don't know if I liked the show or enjoyed listening to the announcer say in that Voice Of God tone, "Starring Efrem Zimbalist, Junior....." <grin>

chili555
10-04-2006, 08:01 PM
I'll second Hill Street Blues. One of my favorite scenes:
Sgt. Mick Belker drags handcuffed shady character in by his sleeve; yells, "Sit, hairball!' and shoves him into the chair adjacent to his desk. Deposits box of...ahem, adult appliances, videotapes, whips, etc. on the corner of the desk. Rolls booking report form in the typewriter and yells, "Name?" Shady character replies, "Curtis....Curtis Interruptis." Belker answers ringing phone. "BELKER!" Sweetly and quietly says, "Oh, hi, ma." Curtis rolls eyes.

TVTeufel
10-04-2006, 08:58 PM
[QUOTE=TriodeGuy]A short lived show that aired on Fox in the early 90's called Profit....died before its time.

I agree. Very strange & compelling show...all six episodes of it.

Two others.

Due South, & China Beach. :thmbsp:

Ron.

grateful
10-04-2006, 09:35 PM
How about Twin Peaks and Soap both had good writing and great humor. Very off beat

BridgedToMono
10-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Twin Peaks, of course. Dr Who is my vote. I'll shed a bit of taste and add Riptide and Viper. Forgive me.

Dusty Chalk
10-05-2006, 01:18 AM
I thought Twin Peaks was on DVD...? Well, at least Season One is...and I think I remember seeing the final episode was available...

bentpencil
10-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Sky King
Aquanauts
Sea Hunt
Highway Patrolman
Combat

I'm not old, am I?

Jim Eck
10-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Anybody else remember Brothers? Joe the Toe Waters, brothers, Cliff and Lou. That show was very much ahead of its time, and hilarious.

I hear that Cliff has died since. I also hear it is going to be released on DVD.

Jim

jblmar
10-06-2006, 01:05 PM
The Honeymooners (1955-1956).
The Invaders
Dobie Gillis
Night Gallery
Soupy Sales

Many other 1960s TV shows.

Ron

AudioKeith
10-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Two others.

Due South, & China Beach. :thmbsp:

Ron.[/QUOTE]

China beach :yes: Have the pilot episode on video but haven't seen the regular shows anywhere on DVD or video.

madpioneer
10-06-2006, 04:58 PM
Six Million Dollar Man
cheesy I know but when I was a kid it was dabomb!
Available in the UK but not here yet. :sigh: