View Full Version : Sony Problem?

jstout66
09-02-2006, 08:49 AM
I'm not familiar with solid state stuff at all, especially Sony. But I wanted to run a symptom by you and have you take a guess on what the problem could be. Years ago, I got an early 80's Sony 13" monitor/reciever from a thrift store. Gave it to my parents for a spare in the bedroom. The set has seen little to no use for years. Mom went to turn it on the other day, and says the red power light comes on but no sound or picture. I'm guessing flyback? The only reason I think it might be that is that I had a 19" Sony of similar vintage and it did the same thing. Took it in, and it was the flyback. I don't understand how it could be that tho. With both sets they worked fine, and just didn't come on the next time they were powered up. I'm not going to attempt to fix this one or take it in. Just curious as to what you think? Also, I'm going to pitch it, unless one of you want it for the cost of shipping. It's a cool looking set, which is why I got it. Doesn't look like the run of the mill Trinitrons of that era. I'll get the model number when I go up there tomorrow if anyone is interested. I think it's from 1983. It's not cable ready. Does have primitive OSD (channel, volume bar, and I think it says "muting" when mute is hit) It's got the cool remote that has channels 2-13 on it. I'll post the model number tomorrow. Also, if no-one wants the set, but needs the remote, hit me up as well.

willyrover
09-02-2006, 09:24 AM
First thing I always check on TVs with bad behaviour is for "cold solder" joints. Rescued several TVs this way - almost always a bad joint where the flyback is soldered to the board. I guess the flyback is so chunky that if it is unsupported, eventually these solder joints fail.

In fact, the JVC set I have been using for almost 10 years was rescued from the garbage pile at a friends apartment building and had this problem. At the time the TV was only about 2 years old.

jstout66
09-04-2006, 10:07 AM
The set is a KV-1358R (made in March 84) and the remote is a RM-712 The set is getting pitched tomorrow, so if anyone wants the tv hollar. I will keep the remote around if anyone could use it. Both free, except for cost of shipping.

Tom_Ryan
09-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Sure, I could use it. Let me know the ship cost to 92126. Tom

jstout66
09-04-2006, 06:29 PM
It's yours Tom. PM or email me your address and I'll get it dropped in the mail.