View Full Version : Channel Tuner Module needed for 1985 Sylvania

Jimmy2
08-28-2006, 10:23 AM
I posted this message before but got no response. Perhaps the title was not specific enough. My question more simply put is heather or not television tuner modules are interchangeable between sets made the same year by different manufactures and where I can get one.
Thanks again,
Jimmy2

Does any one know where I can get a replacement tuner module for a 1985 Sylvania 25 inch "Digital Remote Tuning" model color television. I heard that the electronics are the same for a few other television manufacturers sets made that year like Phillips.
Other considerations are whether it is worth it to replace the tuner if it costs over $50.00 or just buy a new television. I am not the greatest solderer either....
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jimmy2

Bill R
08-29-2006, 06:37 PM
You would need the chassis number and the tuner module number. Magnavox, Philco, and Sylvania all used similar Philips chassis. I do not remember if it is a plug in or solder in set up though. The part may also be no longer available. If that is the case the only option may be to find a similar set and remove the tuner. Just depends how much you like the set. I have an 84 Magnavox and like it, but the picture tube is almost dead. I had been looking out for another set with a good tube to replace it. It would not be cost effective to buy a new or rebuilt tube.

Good luck,
Bill R

holmesuser01
08-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Go and read my post on your original question at the other place.

andy
08-29-2006, 09:32 PM
There was one Philips tuner from the 80's that had a problem with the PLL chip failing. They seemed to have near 100% failure, so I wouldn't trust a used tuner. The tuner I'm thinking of was about 3"x5" and 1" thick and would be soldered to the main board. I seem to remember that there was a green label with the part number glued to the tuner.

If that sounds like the tuner in your set, post back and I can provide more information. It was possible to replace the PLL IC with a substitute that was much more reliable. The PLL IC should still be available, but the entire tuner for such an old set will be hard to find.

Geoff Bourquin
08-30-2006, 09:11 PM
If the tuner is part number 340 309 1003 (a common tuner in mid 80s), you can still get them at Tritronics. I think the last one I got frrom them was about $35.00 plus $25 core, plus shipping. That the tuner with the bad PLL chip. It has a new number now, I think its 483521047005.