View Full Version : One reason I've been trying to make space lately...

jpdylon
08-26-2006, 01:09 AM
I have a CL wanted ad for roundies, but I got a response from someone who didn't even know if his set was color or not....

I went over and had a look. It was a beautiful blonde cabinet. I opened it up to find a philco Golden Grid. I'm thinkin 54? Guy says it doesn't work -- i rally don care at this pont. It even has the CRT warranty card and setup booklet.

He says make me an offer! WEll, he didn't like 20, 30 or 35, so 40 dollars out the door it was. Its only problem cosmetically is the Protective CRT hump took a beating and is missing a chunk out of it.

So what ya'll think? A score, a waste of time? Anybody have a godo idea what year it is?

tgunner
08-26-2006, 01:17 AM
Oh man, that cabinet is absolutely beautiful, almost perfect condition! Especially the philco metal on the front. Tube bump: can't find one of these anywhere? if not.... who cares? I don't know much about tube tv chassis, but it definately needs a dusting, and please, please! look at that hand wired fuse thing! As far as year, the tube warranty card says 56, so I would guess 53-55.

devoid
08-26-2006, 01:22 AM
As you know...

Eric H
08-26-2006, 02:00 AM
Hey Jordan, nice set! :-)

It'll work great too after you recap it, this set will play great from Satellite or DVD with no retrace lines. You got yours for $25 less than I did. :thmbsp:
http://www.vintagetvsets.com/philcof.htm

I've always figured it was a 1953 model based on ads.

Sandy G
08-26-2006, 07:01 AM
Damnation, Jordan, that's a purty set...yeah, I'd say 1953-55, somewhere in there...

jpdylon
08-26-2006, 09:26 AM
Yeah, i took the back of the set off before I bought it and looked at various things that someone had done. The hand wired fuse thing was kinda disturbing, but the rest I can deal with. And yes devoid, I know where the HV lead goes :D :tongue:

Eric, that's what I hope my set to look like. It does have a sweet picture.

jpdylon
08-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Anyone got a 21EP4a or 21EP4b? I stuck mine on the tester and it has an open cathode :tears: I'll probably stick an inquiry in the TV swap board.

I thought about using an exterrior short from cathode to a heater pin, and using a 1:1 isoformer to try to get the possability of a raster, but I have my doubts as to if this will work.

David Roper
08-26-2006, 04:43 PM
That's one of the "old tricks," and well worth the time it will take to try it.

Steve K
08-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Jordan:

I have an old 21 inch Hoffman from about 1953 which may have the CRT you need for your set. It is in storage at my office so I will check Monday to see what the number is.

Steve

jpdylon
08-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Thanks a bunch Steve. Please let me know what you find.

Eric H
08-26-2006, 07:06 PM
Jordan, I got a new 21EP4 from Kaye-Halbert TV, perhaps he has another?

I tossed my old tube already, it would make a good picture but was really tired.

Tubejunke
08-26-2006, 11:47 PM
Jpdylon, I say go for it as far as it being a keeper. To me the 50's Philcos are the most reliable sets there are. I'm the guy that has the 56 Philco that has always played fine with no recap since I bought it in 1983. Thats another thread but in case some new folks see this my original 21ZP4B CRT is getting weak. I still need one.....

jpdylon
08-26-2006, 11:53 PM
Thanks Eric, I'll send him an e-mail to see if he has one. Would be a good excuse to finally meet him in person and gawk at whatever tvs he has too :D

Steve K
08-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Jordan:

I just checked and tube that is in the Hoffman is a 21YP4. I do not think that subs your tube as this one has electrostatic focus and not magnetic. I think the tube size is the same and I never tried putting a focus coil on an electrostatically focused tube.

Let me know if you think it will work. If Charles has the correct one let me know when you come up to this area.

Steve

jpdylon
08-28-2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks for checking steve. I honestly have never subbed a electrostaticly focused tube fo a magneticly focue one. I'm no so sure it woud be worth the effort. If it weren't so much $$$ I would just have the damn thing rebuilt.

Bill Cahill
08-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Hi. I know the trick for subbing. permanently remove magnet assembly.
Put a junper wire from pin 6 , focus grid, to Red wire. That will give you the focus voltage you need. Bill Cahill

Eric H
08-29-2006, 09:29 PM
The biggest problem with subbing the 21EP4 is that it has a vertically flat face like a Trinitron, other tubes are curved in both directions and won't fit the mask correctly.

jpdylon
08-30-2006, 12:31 AM
hmmm.... still in need of one. Gonna stick a wanted in the swap board.

jpdylon
09-03-2006, 06:16 PM
OK, so Charles (Kaye-Halbert TV) was ever so kind enough to give me a 21FP4C. The demensions are exactly the same as the 21EP4. The only differnence is that the EP4 is magnetically focused, and the FP4 is electrostaticly focused.

So what say ye, o experts of the tele? Is it possible to obtain focus with the magnet assembly, or does a voltage need to be taken from the G1 or G2 supply?

If the second is the case, does anyone have the flat jumpers to connect the pins?