View Full Version : Show us your early color tv collections!

doug621ts
08-22-2006, 04:02 AM
:banana: My name is Doug Peel and im new on this, I would like to see some of your early color tv collections! Here is two of mine. Hope to hear from you collectors!

Adam
08-22-2006, 04:45 AM
My two early color sets. 63 Philco, it uses a ctc-15 chassis, it currently isn't working. The dials on the radio light up, it looks really cool in the dark. I also have a working ctc-15, here's the before and after pictures.

G.B.
08-22-2006, 09:51 AM
Doug621ts, Welcome , I sent You a Personal.

Sandy G
08-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Yeah, both you fellers are pretty new, Welcome to AK ! I have a '65 Zenith roundie that was my grandad's, first color set I remember being around...One of these days, I'm gonna haul it down to Terry's & cajole him into gettin' it goin' again. Anyway, hope y'all enjoy yr time here...We got quite a few TV Nutz here...No matter what yr friends 'n' family tell ya, You AIN'T weird...They're just unenlightened...<grin>

John Folsom
08-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Doug,

Some of these photos may have been posted in provious threads, but many photos were lost during the great AK server crash. So here are a few.

First, my avitar, the Zenith 15" set. Next is the Sparton, which has a 16" metal bell prototype CRT, and last is the Motorola TS900 15" set.

And phoots of my Silverton were posted in this thread:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77887&page=1&pp=15

I will psot som more photos later, if there is interest.

old_tv_nut
08-22-2006, 09:34 PM
John F, what does the logo say on the Sparton? Can't tell if it's just "Sparton" or something else.

old_tv_nut
08-22-2006, 09:35 PM
:banana: My name is Doug Peel and im new on this, I would like to see some of your early color tv collections! Here is two of mine. Hope to hear from you collectors!

I don't see the pix - does everybody else see them?

Sandy G
08-22-2006, 09:39 PM
What is the one in the roll-around cart? A Dage ? How many of 'em are still operational?

John Folsom
08-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Wayne, the Sparton just says "Sparton". Sandy G, the one in the roll around cart is the Zeinth. The side panels and top come off for easy access. Zenith made a small number of sets, but like Silvertone (and others), decided not to enter the Color TV market until the technology had matured a bit.

Here are a few more.

First, the GE Model 15CL100 15" set. This set uses the odd 6BU5 pentode high voltage regulator tube (I think this was the only set to ever use that tube).
Second the Sylvania 15" set, and third the CBS Model RX90 15" set. This was the forerunner to the CBS 205 19" set which was sold commercially. The color bars are of the RX90, using the Hickok 656XC NTSC color bar generator circa 19555.

Eric H
08-23-2006, 12:53 AM
Here it is, my entire vintage color TV collection, impressive isn't it. :lmao:

kx250rider
08-23-2006, 01:26 AM
I don't see the pix - does everybody else see them?

They're on his first post. I got tripped up for a minute too...

Charles

Tom_Ryan
08-23-2006, 02:10 AM

Hi Doug,

Have't visited with you for a while. Say, is the living room of your house in Ontario still filled with TV sets? By the way, I finally restored the RCA CTC-9 I got from you a few years ago. It had a really good 21CYP22 CRT with strong like new emission on red green and blue guns. Of course, the big challenge, as you may recall, was the cabinet. Spent hours and hours fixing the verneer and refinishing it. Finally got'er good looking. Then house organizing finally placed the set under wraps in the back bedroom. I'll post some pic once I dig'er out.

Tom

doug621ts
08-23-2006, 02:36 AM
Hey Adam...love the color combination sets you have! Wonderfull picture! Hey John! What can I say about your color sets! They are just awesome!!! Never seen a Sparton color set picture!
Hi Tom! Been awhile! I dont live in Ontario anymore but live in Upland now, I have some of my collection in storage and some in my home. Look forward to photos of the CTC9. Lets see more of you collectors out there post your photos!
To see my CT-100 and my blonde CTC5 I have the pictures posted under "b&w and projection sets" section.

doug621ts
08-23-2006, 02:42 AM
Doug,

Some of these photos may have been posted in provious threads, but many photos were lost during the great AK server crash. So here are a few.

First, my avitar, the Zenith 15" set. Next is the Sparton, which has a 16" metal bell prototype CRT, and last is the Motorola TS900 15" set.

And phoots of my Silverton were posted in this thread:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77887&page=1&pp=15

I will psot som more photos later, if there is interest.

Hey John

I would like to see more pictures when you get a chance...your "Avitar" is a studio monitor or?? Who actually made this unit? I have a friend locally who had the GE 15" color set in a blond cabinet with all field test tubes in the set. Unfortunately the set was riddled with termites and the set was sold for a song....what a shame!

David Roper
08-23-2006, 03:00 AM
John's av is a Zenith prototype set of 1953. You're getting thrown by the rack-mounting...it's just they way they did it. Solid, innit?

doug621ts
08-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Here are two of my color sets, I have a RCA CTC4 "Director" but in poor shape and i dont have a photo.

old_tv_nut
08-23-2006, 09:29 PM
man - all I can say is - more drool on my keyboard

roundscreen
08-24-2006, 08:48 AM
Here is a picture of my living room. The sets in this room are the ones I have been working on this summer. :yes:
Ed

roundscreen
08-24-2006, 08:55 AM
Here it is, my entire vintage color TV collection, impressive isn't it. :lmao:
I like your set. The brass trim is really cool. Is that a ctc 7 or a 9?
Could you please post a picture of it running.
Ed

doug621ts
08-24-2006, 12:10 PM
Here is a picture of my living room. The sets in this room are the ones I have been working on this summer. :yes:
Ed

Really neat! On the far left, is that a CTC10 or 11? Is that up and running?

roundscreen
08-24-2006, 06:27 PM
Really neat! On the far left, is that a CTC10 or 11? Is that up and running?
I picked up that set in 93 and It is a philco ctc 11 clone. That set is working but the vert creeps up from the bottom after it is on for a hour. It has been in this room for quite some time and I will have to fix it over the winter. When I first got this set There was no color, The video was washed out and the sides were caved in. The vertical problem showed up about a year ago and replacement of the vertical tube did not fix it so I am sure it will not be an easy fix.
The crt and flyback are in perfect shape and the boards are not burned up so It has many hrs left on it too.
Ed

wa2ise
08-24-2006, 10:02 PM
The vertical problem showed up about a year ago and replacement of the vertical tube did not fix it so I am sure it will not be an easy fix.

Ed

Leaky caps will do that. If you haven't already, replace all the wax caps in the vertical section.

John Folsom
08-24-2006, 11:48 PM
This is kind of a follow up the post by Kaye-Halbert TV about the Muhtz projection tv

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=779191#post779191

The question was asked when Muntz first made a color TV. This is likely one of the first Muhtz color TVs, Moled 721 CV. It is a RCA CTC-5 chassis in a Muntz cabinet. No redesign was performed by Muntz. This is the Deluxe version of the CTC-5.

doug621ts
08-25-2006, 02:49 AM
This is kind of a follow up the post by Kaye-Halbert TV about the Muhtz projection tv

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=779191#post779191

The question was asked when Muntz first made a color TV. This is likely one of the first Muhtz color TVs, Moled 721 CV. It is a RCA CTC-5 chassis in a Muntz cabinet. No redesign was performed by Muntz. This is the Deluxe version of the CTC-5.

Hey John

Is this great set in your collection? Looks to work wonderfully! :thmbsp: Knowing how cheap mad man Muntz was its a surprise the set is a "Deluxe" and not a "super".

John Folsom
08-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Hi Doug.

All the sets I have shown are in my collection (yikes, in my house!). While the Muntz works well, I did not show the whole story. Here is photos of the other side of the cabinet. The hole was factory cut, it has a routed edge and is painted, and was covered by a piece of sheet metal with wood grain contact paper, held in with screws. Whatever escutcheon was there originally is gone now. Guess I will just have to put something there which "look" reasonable, as I will likely never find a picture of what it originally looked like.

During the CTC-4 CTC-5 era, RCA was trying very hard to get color TVs into the hands of customers, so they offered "turnkey" color TV solutions to other manufacturer, like this Stromberg Carlson Model 102 CM, which is a CTC-4 clone. I have not yet restored this set, but when I first got it, I put it on the variac and brought it up and managed to get it to work after a fashion. It is on my "to do" list.

bgadow
08-25-2006, 01:04 PM
John, I am really glad that you (and others) are posting pictures like those. There is no way most of us would ever get to see such rare sets.

Here is one third of my color roundie collection. On the left is my CTC-5 Whitby, on the right is my CTC-11. Some of the others may still be posted on here somewhere but I'll try to get some fresh shots of them this weekend.

Steve D.
08-25-2006, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=John Folsom]Hi Doug.

All the sets I have shown are in my collection (yikes, in my house!). While the Muntz works well, I did not show the whole story. Here is photos of the other side of the cabinet. The hole was factory cut, it has a routed edge and is painted, and was covered by a piece of sheet metal with wood grain contact paper, held in with screws. Whatever escutcheon was there originally is gone now. Guess I will just have to put something there which "look" reasonable, as I will likely never find a picture of what it originally looked like.

Hey John,

Thanks for the photos of that really rare Muntz color receiver. If that was a factory cut opening in the side of the cabinet, and this is a direct clone of an RCA CTC-5 deluxe chassis, what do you speculate was accessed via the opening? I see the on-off brightness control in that section, same as the RCA, but RCA did not see fit to have such an access panel in their versions. Also, is that the original channel selector knob? Much different then the RCA. And finally, is there a pencil box for the color controls under the screen? Lots of questions I know. I also don't see a Sams listed for this set which begs even more questions.

-Steve D.

John Folsom
08-25-2006, 08:25 PM
I can only speculate as to why Muntz had the hole cut in the cabinet. Did Muntz even make the cabinet? I don' know. I can only assume there was some decorative escutcheon plate that covered the hole, for reasons unknown.

The cloth covered panel below the CRT hinges out and down to reveal the controls. Kind of awkward, but all part of its charm.

The guy I got the set from reports he got it from the original owner (illinois), and that she was told to keep the dust out of it, so she regularly took the back off the set and vacuumed up the dust! I once again assume that these would be the original knobs... but who knows? If anyone ever gets any independant inof on this Muntz TV, I sure would like to hear of it.

Steve D.
08-25-2006, 09:19 PM
John,

Thanks for the close up photo of the hinged pull down panel. Certainly is more reliable then the spring controlled door on the RCA CTC-5 pencil box.
I'll try and locate a newspaper ad for this set on my next trip to the library. Although Muntz's ad budget was slmmer then most other brands. I also notice that even with the CTC-5 Deluxe chassis there is only one speaker. RCA had 3 speakers ("Panoramic Sound") on all their Deluxe series sets. Muntz economics at work?

-Steve D.

John Folsom
08-25-2006, 09:33 PM
Steve D,

The pull down door has a VERY heavy duty spring on it, making it awkward to hold the door open while you adjust the controls. ANd yep, only one speaker. Likely the cabinet styoe did not lind itself to the multiple speakers like RCA used, which would have needed to be mounted on the front of the cabinet.

I would appreciate your keeping an eye out for an advertisment. I wonder how widely Muntz would have marketed the set? I assume this set was sold out of the Chicago area...?

John Folsom
08-25-2006, 09:37 PM
bgadow,

How do you find the performance of your CTC-5? After recapping my Muntz CTC-5, I find the performance to still be kind of "muddy". I have aligned the IF and chroma sections, but still I do not find it to be a stellar performer.

Eric H
08-25-2006, 10:49 PM
The odds of this having a picture of that set are slim but still it's intriguing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Viewmaster-Reel-RARE-Muntz-TV-Models-from-the-50S_W0QQitemZ170020650685QQihZ007QQcategoryZ411QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

John Folsom
08-26-2006, 12:15 AM
Geez Louise, Eric H! How do you find this stuff??

But you are probably right, it is unlikely to feature any color TVs. I think the smart move would be to contact the winning biddr (not me), send 'em a picture of my Muntz and ask if it is featured.

thanks!

doug621ts
08-26-2006, 03:46 AM
John, I am really glad that you (and others) are posting pictures like those. There is no way most of us would ever get to see such rare sets.

Here is one third of my color roundie collection. On the left is my CTC-5 Whitby, on the right is my CTC-11. Some of the others may still be posted on here somewhere but I'll try to get some fresh shots of them this weekend.
Hey Brian

Couple of nice sets there and with great color pictures! Your CTC11 model was the first color tv I ever saw as a kid and im hoping to find that exact one for sentimental reasons. Could you give the model number of that set? I cant tell but does it have safety glass or the bonded CRT?
Doug

doug621ts
08-26-2006, 03:54 AM
I can only speculate as to why Muntz had the hole cut in the cabinet. Did Muntz even make the cabinet? I don' know. I can only assume there was some decorative escutcheon plate that covered the hole, for reasons unknown.

The cloth covered panel below the CRT hinges out and down to reveal the controls. Kind of awkward, but all part of its charm.

The guy I got the set from reports he got it from the original owner (illinois), and that she was told to keep the dust out of it, so she regularly took the back off the set and vacuumed up the dust! I once again assume that these would be the original knobs... but who knows? If anyone ever gets any independant inof on this Muntz TV, I sure would like to hear of it.
Hi John

Concerning the channel knob, im near certain its original as i had a mid 50's Muntz black and white with the controls on the side and the channel knob was basically the same in design to the one on your set. Im curious, are the legs original? Im asking because they are abviously not a matching "blonde" color to the rest of the set. That set has to be as rare as it comes!
Doug

bgadow
08-27-2006, 10:28 PM
A couple more pictures of my collection are here

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55897&page=3&pp=15

Those are the pictures I took of 5 of the 6 running. Here I have attached a picture of the 6th-no, it wasn't too shy for the last photos, I just couldn't get back far enough to fit it in the picture! (CTC15, the one I've had the longest)

John, my CTC-5 has some quirks. I have almost entirely recapped it (missed some mostly in the audio section). Until it warms up it has problems related to contrast/brightness/agc/horizontal. I had been all through the hv/horiz section when first getting it to work but I feel the problem is probably in that general area. When all is right it can do a pretty good job, but maybe a little more washed out than the newer sets. If you look at the photo in the last post the 11 looks a little better than the 5 but in some other pics I did side-by-side the 5 looks better. In that 5-at-once pic it is hard to tell but the 5 really looks good compared to the rest, though I think the camera had much to do with that. Someday I will dig into it again. I am kind of afraid to jinx it as getting it to work was quite an ordeal.

Doug, the model number on the 11 is 212 G 805 MV. It uses a seperate safety glass-I guess a bonded tube was an option then or else was about to be made standard. Mine has a rebuild with a bonded glass.

doug621ts
08-28-2006, 02:36 AM
A couple more pictures of my collection are here

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55897&page=3&pp=15

Those are the pictures I took of 5 of the 6 running. Here I have attached a picture of the 6th-no, it wasn't too shy for the last photos, I just couldn't get back far enough to fit it in the picture! (CTC15, the one I've had the longest)

John, my CTC-5 has some quirks. I have almost entirely recapped it (missed some mostly in the audio section). Until it warms up it has problems related to contrast/brightness/agc/horizontal. I had been all through the hv/horiz section when first getting it to work but I feel the problem is probably in that general area. When all is right it can do a pretty good job, but maybe a little more washed out than the newer sets. If you look at the photo in the last post the 11 looks a little better than the 5 but in some other pics I did side-by-side the 5 looks better. In that 5-at-once pic it is hard to tell but the 5 really looks good compared to the rest, though I think the camera had much to do with that. Someday I will dig into it again. I am kind of afraid to jinx it as getting it to work was quite an ordeal.

Doug, the model number on the 11 is 212 G 805 MV. It uses a seperate safety glass-I guess a bonded tube was an option then or else was about to be made standard. Mine has a rebuild with a bonded glass.

Thanks for that info. Bryan! Again your sets are great! The color and picture on your CTC15 is fantastic! There is nothing like watching a round tube color set with that rich vivid color! Your CTC5 in your other photo had a very nice picture though you mentioned in had some "quirks"... looks great to me!
Doug