View Full Version : Lots of loud popping from my Chromacolor II...

tv beta guy
08-19-2006, 05:38 PM
Remember that 1977 Zenith Chromacolor II I got a few months ago? http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=694313#post694313

Been working great till today. I turned it on. Picture started coming up normally, and as I walked away, followed by numerous *POP POP POW POP* as I ran to go shut it off. The picture was still displayed, but it was shrinking in and out violently as it did that.

I took the back off and gave it a quick lookover. I don't see or smell anything. I did put it back together and very quickly just turned it on. It didn't pop or explode, but now makes a sickly buzzing sound from the HV area. I immediately shut it off.

Anyone have an experience with this, to help narrow down the problem or what to look for? I've never had this happen before.

jstout66
08-19-2006, 06:26 PM
I read thru the old posts. It sounds like the tripler, which I suspected was on the way out from your description when you got it. I would contact Moyers and give them the model and chassis number. There is also a capacitor kit they sell, which was a common failure on those sets and really should be replaced if you're replacing the tripler.

tv beta guy
08-19-2006, 06:47 PM
Yeah, sorta figured that. Guess I shouldn't have been lazy about it and just replaced it then.

I'll contact them Monday.

kx250rider
08-20-2006, 01:22 AM
I agree on the tripler... It's a common problem. You might be able to put a glob of RTV silicone over the crack (IF you can find it), or just replace it. NTE or ECG-526A is the update for all the early Chromacolor IIs. (later ones had a plug on the tripler).

Charles

andy
08-20-2006, 03:33 AM
I fixed a lot of cracked triplers with RTV when I was in high school. It was a common problem over 10 years ago. I never had a recall on one I fixed this way.

jstout66
10-15-2006, 10:53 PM
Hey Mike, Did you ever get your set going? I was going thru my parts and I came across some NOS Zenith triplers. If you can get me the part-number and it's one I have I will give it to you. That's a nice set and I would hate for it to not be working for you.

tv beta guy
10-15-2006, 11:09 PM
No, I haven't even touched the set since it broke (been swamped with work from school and my job). I was going to call Moyer's, never got around to that either :p

I'll have some time Tuesday to open it up and check.

While back on the subject, anything else that needs updated in this set that I should know?

tv beta guy
10-28-2006, 09:55 PM
jstout66,

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner on this, as I haven't had a chance to take a look until now.

The HV tripler is # 212-149.

jstout66
10-31-2006, 07:31 PM
does anyone know if there are other cross numbers for this. None of mine have that part-number on the box, and I know my triplers are for Chroma 2's....