View Full Version : I feel vindicated!!

rca2000
07-11-2003, 02:35 AM
Recently, a member worte that he had a zenith roundie color set, with a 6bq5 audio out, and only a 3x5 speakr. He stated that it had exceptionaly good sound. I AGREE. I had one of those sets like that over 20 years ago, and I could not believe how good the sound was. Then, I began to see zeniths with 6z10 outputs, and the sound was inferior on them even with bigger speakers, so i began to think i had imagined it. Now ,I know how right I was. Room-filling sound, through a 3x5 oval speaker.It is a shame that zenith ever went to the 6z10 compactron,but I guess they were just being "cost concious".as the price of color tv came down.

I also had a 26kc20qs, like DRH, that had TWO 5x7 speakers, space command, and a good crt. I remember watching the video to qiuet riot's "cum on feel the noize"on that old roundie, about 20 years ago. The sound seemed to shake the floor!!. Too bad, I was too shortsighted to hang on to those old sets, but at the time ,they seemed easy enough to get(sigh.) If I could only had forseen the future....

Rob
07-11-2003, 08:59 AM
Jack,

The 6BQ5 is an actual high quality audio tube that packs a lot of power in such a small envelope. It has good distortion specs and is popular as a class-A SE amp and also push-pull or even parallel push-pull in many Hi-Fi circuits from the 60's. It has seen a resurgence of interest in recent *new* tube amplifier offerings.
I'm listening to two P-P 6BQ5 monoblocks right now!

Rob

Charlie
07-11-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by rca2000
I remember watching the video to qiuet riot's "cum on feel the noize"on that old roundie, about 20 years ago. The sound seemed to shake the floor!!

Geez was it that long ago?!? My God... this means we are starting to get old!

I have four sets with 6BQ5 audio outputs... the two coffin-size Curtis Mathes sets, a 21" Motorola, and the 17" Predicta. They may all have different size speakers, but the 6BQ5's definately give them all big sound... even the cheezy little Predicta speaker. :D

drh4683
07-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Hello,

That was me talking about 6BQ5s vs the inferior 6Z10. Not only does the 6Z10 not sound as good, its always one of the first tube to go bad! Take your tube tester and do a life test on a 6Z10 that you havent tested or replaced. 100% of the zeniths I find need a new 6Z10. A New 6Z10 wont even move the meter on lifetest, so I know its not some odd filament characteristic. regardless of the 6Z10, zenith was still the best! However, RCA had a nice sound with that 6AQ5 that they used for a long time. When zenith went to the 6Z10 around 1966 and up, an rca would sound better with that 6AQ5, (if the circuit board didnt turn to toast:D ) I must say, mounting the audio out on the circuit board was probably the worst idea. Atleast they should have come up with some kind of insulating spacer with cooling fins or something. That would be cool:cool:

kc8adu
07-11-2003, 08:21 PM
isnt a 6z10 just a 6bn6 and a scaled down 6bq5 in the same envelope?