View Full Version : bet you don't see a portable entertainment center like this often!

jpdylon
08-10-2006, 09:07 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-WESTINGHOUSE-MINI-COMBO-TV-PHONOGRAPH-RADIO_W0QQitemZ270016409238QQihZ017QQcategoryZ3638 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

THought this was pretty cool. I've never seena radio, phono, and tv in a small package like that. Hybrid maybe? Its got a lot of venting for a all transistor set, and its too cramped for an all toob setup methinks...

Another in the UK:
http://cgi.ebay.com/GENERAL-ELC-SHOWNTELL-RADIO-PHONO-VIEWER-TV_W0QQitemZ220016203580QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3638QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Chad Hauris
08-10-2006, 11:29 PM
It's probably an all tube TV with a transistorized radio and phono amp.
I've been amazed at how small, cramped and hot some all tube type sets are such as Admiral 9" b/w portables.

kx250rider
08-11-2006, 01:00 AM
RCA had one in the 50s that had a 14" tube, nice wood cabinet and a built-in 45-rpm player under a lid. They're RARE, but they show up on eBay now & then. They had the same chassis as the 14" metal portable. No radio.

Sharp and Sankyo (not Sanyo) made one in the late 70s with a 12" tube, AM-FM, & Cassette or 8-track.

Charles

jstout66
08-30-2006, 10:11 AM
I bought this set and it arrived yesterday. I'm surprised it arrived in 1 piece due to the LOUSEY packing job by the seller. I even asked them to double box, and figured they would with their flat shipping fee of $45.00. I've gotta pop the back off and test some tubes as I am not picking up VHF, tho UHF is fantastic. The turntable and radio work, and yes.... it's an all tube set with one feature I hate. Instant On. I'll report back shortly on what I find and am hoping no circuit boards burned to a crisp. Kind of a cool set up for a tv... I've noticed that Westinghouse seemed to put out some "funky" stuff back in the day.

jpdylon
08-30-2006, 01:36 PM
If you're still getting UHF, go for the VHF oscillator, as the RF amp tube is working fine. having the instant on probably means that the boards have alway remained hot from the tube heat and you will more than likely have solder joint issues if this has circuit boards.

I would stringly suggest finding a way to disable the instant on, or at least keep the set on a wall switch. The instant on was the 2nd cause for CRT death next to techs putting on brightners just for the money.