View Full Version : Spotted a Sylvania Superset today

Eric H
08-06-2006, 09:32 PM
There was a 25" tabletop Superset at one of the thrifts today, I left it there for several reasons but it was kind of interesting.

The date was 1979 but this thing looked like an RCA from the late 60's
It had an enormous wood grained metal cabinet and weighed a ton, it also was a remote set but it was a mechanical one.
When I plugged it in it came on and started clunking through the channels and wouldn't stop! :D
The CRT lit up but it looked pretty dim, couldn't really tell too much cause it wouldn't stop flipping channels long enough to see anything. :no:

I sometimes wish I had room to bring stuff like this home and play with it.

Bobby Brady
08-06-2006, 10:15 PM
I think even such later sets will eventually be worthwhile collectables.

rca2000
08-07-2006, 09:18 AM
It has an E0-3 chassis in it. It is NOT a phillips Sylvania, either. It has a PLL type horiz and vert. oscillator, with no hold controls. I am curious to find out how it works, if at all. Like many of them--it has the 3 panels on the chassis-- if, video/chroma and deflection. It is a cold set, with a tripler for HV and series pass regulation.

The cabinet is a small console, and in pretty good shape.

I ALMOST did not get it, but I decided to get it, and got it for $5. I wanted an E0-1 or 2, but it is not a bad set after all, from what I see.

JCFitz
08-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Is that a 21" screen size.If it is I bet it's identical or nearly indentical to the set my grandmother bought new in 1975.Her first solid state and also 1st color replacing a Wards b/w console from the 60s.I played the crap out of that tv when I was little.That tv had 1 diode fail under warranty and it played without a hitch til a big lightning bolt hit the antenna blowing the booster power supply off the back of the set leaving a big hole and blew the rotater control on top completely apart leaving a hole in the ceiling where a piece hit.Lightning jumped from the unplugged tv and anyenna boxes to the nearby outlet frying an old electric clock and some wiring behind the wall and the circuit breaker.They repaired the tv.In the box of parts were the rectifiers,filter cans,audio output txstors and the speaker with the cone ripped out of the frame.The back still had the hole.When they brought it back the antenna wasn't fixed yet and that night another storm hit the house and they had to degaus the tv.That was in 1984.Tv played until 89 when the yoke connector burnt a hole in the board.I hardwired it and it continued playing a couple more years and I noticed the tube getting weak(predominately blue) and it wouldn't rejuvenate.It did but fell right back down.I put a brightener on it(looked fairly good then) and took it to an auction in 1994.In 1999 the guy that bought it said his mother was still using it.Last I heard.That tv wouldn't die.I suspect the instant on made the tube weak.If it had been a 25" I would have founnd a used good tube and kept it.The 21" rectangular tube wasn't too common.
:worthless

It has an E0-3 chassis in it. It is NOT a phillips Sylvania, either. It has a PLL type horiz and vert. oscillator, with no hold controls. I am curious to find out how it works, if at all. Like many of them--it has the 3 panels on the chassis-- if, video/chroma and deflection. It is a cold set, with a tripler for HV and series pass regulation.

The cabinet is a small console, and in pretty good shape.

I ALMOST did not get it, but I decided to get it, and got it for $5. I wanted an E0-1 or 2, but it is not a bad set after all, from what I see.

kx250rider
08-08-2006, 02:01 AM
HEY!!!!?: Does that have the black face delta gun tube? I am interested if so! In '79, I'm not sure if they had gone to the inline gun yet.

Charles