View Full Version : What's a Z-Tac

Eric H
08-05-2006, 02:49 AM
What's a Z-Tac? I'm guessing the Z stands for Zenith.
Any relation to a Tic-Tac? :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ZENITH-SPACE-COMMAND-ZTAC-TV-REMOTE-CONTROL_W0QQitemZ330015208425QQihZ014QQcategoryZ73 374QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

compucat
08-05-2006, 08:44 AM
It looks to be some kind of programmable remote. It says addressable control on it. Perhaps it is an early form of universal remote. Iteresting that it has parental control. It looks like it is from the Seventies - long before such features were available I would think. :scratch2:

Chad Hauris
08-05-2006, 12:02 PM
This remote transmitter looks very similar to those for the Space Phone models of around 1982 or so. It should be an infrared type.

3Guncolor
08-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Z-TAC was a addressable encoding system made by Zenith for cable systems in the 80's. They made the whole system, cable boxes, headend equipment and the control system.
That is one of the remotes that was used with the cable box. It was way ahead of everyone at the time and worked very good but Zenith blew it in the end on that system too just like the rest of the company.

Tom_Ryan
08-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Z-TAC = Zenith Tiered Addressable Convertor

maxm
08-20-2006, 09:41 PM
I just found one of these in a resale store for $1.50, and figured it would make a nice "period" remote for my 1983 13" Portable.
The remote I got looks like its never been used, no ware on the buttons or faceplate. It's missing its battery cover though, but I noticed that every remote in the store was missing it cover... Does somebody steal these and have a collection of thousands on display in their house that they can show off to their friends?

This seems to be the lower end model, as it doesn't have the additional buttons that the one in the auction has.

This is my first "old" remote, and I really like the construction with an aluminum faceplate and real plastic buttons that have switches that "click", not those modern "mushy" buttons.

The remote works great with my old portable and my newer 1999 27" Zenith, whose remote I photographed next to the Z-TAC, to see how they have evolved over 20 years.

ARC Tech-109
09-09-2006, 12:38 AM
That remote was used with the Zenith ST-1000 series TAC cable converters. I believe they were 465 KHz modulated Ir remotes with 3 high output LEDs in the front. You can not only use them as a remote but also as a hammer, window prop and classroom disruption device in schools that use older Zenith sets... Been there done that. They also have a very long range and the reference ceramic can be changed to 455 KHz to make it work with other Zeniths as the digital commands are the same but carrier rates are different.
Kind of a late reply but I've played with many of these and upset many a teacher with them!