View Full Version : rca roundie in Washington

frenchy
08-04-2006, 11:42 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ANTIQUE-RCA-VICTOR-COLOR-TELEVISION_W0QQitemZ110017011173QQihZ001QQcategory Z38034QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

David Roper
08-05-2006, 12:21 AM
I think he's just a bit too optimistic.

Eric H
08-05-2006, 12:40 AM
Looks like it's a remote model?
A bit high considering the condition of the cabinet but that 12 of Harrys went for over $400 not working.

compucat
08-05-2006, 08:37 AM
If the CRT is good and it obviously works it is probably worth it. The deal breaker for most people is the lack of shipping or sometimes the cost thereof. Most sellers of consoles will not ship. That's one reason I jumped on the Zenith roundie that Harry offered. He ships and from past experience, he knows how to pack. That set looks like a CTC-11

oldtvman
08-05-2006, 06:54 PM
a little too pricey for me

Phil Nelson
08-26-2006, 11:03 PM
This set is still for sale and within driving distance of me.

Any second opinions on value/desirability?

Also, is anyone sure about the model number, and have any comments on relatively serviceability compared to other early-ish color sets?

Thanks.

Phil Nelson
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Chad Hauris
08-26-2006, 11:18 PM
I bought mine for $50.00 at an estate sale...it had been priced at $350.00 and did not sell for that much so they made me a deal. There must have been one on ebay that sold in the $300.00 range for the estate sale dealer to get that price figure.

wcarroll
08-27-2006, 09:56 AM
This may actually be a CTC10. I have a RCA catalog that shows the CTC11's and it's not in there. Looks like the set on the left in this picture: CTC10 (http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=Collections&id=Pic00048) :scratch2:

rcaman
08-28-2006, 10:10 AM
hey those in the picture are my sets. and both are ctc10,s glad you found the picture. steve :banana:

Phil Nelson
08-28-2006, 06:46 PM
The owner is offering to trade it for something in my collection.

Any other thoughts on what is the fair value for this item?

Phil Nelson

wcarroll
08-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Phil, The seller's original starting bid of $350 does appear a bit high at first, but also doesn't seem too far off if it really does have a new picture tube and if it really does work as well as the seller states. I think it would be a good one to get if you could do it as a trade and also be able to pick it up locally. This would also allow you to back out of the deal if you were first able to inspect the set in person. I'm not sure how the supply is for color roundies in your area, but they are quite rare down in Louisiana. Plus, I sure would like to read all about the restoration on your site! :yes:

Wes

Phil Nelson
08-29-2006, 01:29 AM
I'm not sure how the supply is for color roundies in your area, but they are quite rare down in Louisiana.

Ha-ha, very funny. Please don't rub it in :-)

At least you live halfway between the coasts. Here in the Pacific NW -- what I call the Wrong Coast -- people advertising an "estate sale" include the word "antiques" on their sign if they have a broken Hot Wheels and a few hairless My Little Ponies.

Phil Nelson

Phil Nelson
09-27-2006, 02:03 PM
I'm still debating whether to trade for this. The seller is interested in a 1951 mono amp that I got about 10 years ago and haven't used more than a few times since.

That's more than fair from a dollar standpoint, but transportation is an issue. My wife has an SUV, but I'm not sure it's tall enough to transport this TV standing up in the back. (Even assuming I had the strength to lift it up that high -- uffda!) Which would mean pulling out the chassis and CRT, I guess.

Is the CRT mounted on the chassis so that they come out as a unit? Or mounted on the cabinet?

Phil Nelson

wcarroll
09-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Phil,

The CRT is mounted to the cabinet and the chassis is mounted upright on the left side of the cabinet (viewed from behind). So, you could remove the chassis, but the CRT is best left in the cabinet for transport. Yes, this set is very heavy, but two guys should be able to lift it OK. You might try laying on its side to fit in your SUV.

I really hope you decide to save this set. If you don't do it, who will? :D

Wes

blue_lateral
09-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Transport it face down if you can. Take off the knobs or whatever so it doesnt get damaged. Line the truck with something soft, I use an old sheepskin matress topper. Block up as necessary with styrofoam if there are knob shafts or protruding parts of the cabinet. I lay those microfiber rags from costco on any styrofoam, to keep any dust from grinnding into the finish.

rcaman
09-28-2006, 11:00 PM
the chassis and tube are seperate. the chassis is quite heavy. steve

rcaman
09-28-2006, 11:01 PM
what kind of suv are you talking about. i have a 03 tahoe and it would not set up in it. steve

Phil Nelson
09-29-2006, 12:18 PM
Transporting face down sounds like the way to go. I would remove knobs and supply padding, of course. If it's too heavy to lift intact, I guess I could remove the chassis to reduce the weight.

Still haven't heard from the owner whether we have a deal for sure. He seems to be one of those folks (like my Dad) who only checks email two or three times a week.

bgadow
09-29-2006, 10:20 PM
I have a CTC-12 in a similiar style cabinet, a little narrower. My Dakota has a cap on it and the set would not go in standing up. It would just barely go in on its side. If all the bolts are tight it should ride fine.

Phil Nelson
10-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Uff-da! After a long day of driving, my "new" color roundie is home.

It played fine, with a nice bright picture, just before I picked it up.

It took two strong men (the owner and his 83-year old Dad), plus me, to grunt it into the back of the SUV. Turned out, after three tries, that face-down was the only way it could possibly fit.

What fun. "Whoa-whoa-WHOOOAAA! You're gonna tear the headliner!!!" And so on.

Yes, we removed the knobs first and laid it on a bed of quilts & whatnot.

It's still crammed in the back of the SUV because my wife and her sister took off for an overnight trip and both of my able-bodied male offspring have escaped to college.

I can't come up with any scheme where I can get the danged thing out of the SUV on my own without [A] damaging the TV or [B] damaging my back or [C] damaging both.

Somebody told me that patience is a virtue, but it's hard to be patient when you have a new project sitting out in the carport :-)

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Phil Nelson
10-03-2006, 12:21 AM
OK, I slid it out the back of the truck with the aid of an old door, a wooly blanket, and some cardboard.

The cabinet needs a total refinish, but the picture doesn't look too shabby, considering the electronics haven't been touched in decades. (Sorry for the hasty snapshots.)

Phil Nelson

Phil Nelson
10-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Oh -- and looking at the back of the chassis in daylight, I see a faint stamp with CTC-11C, so I guess it's not a CTC-10!

It's missing the channel indicator and one of the little bottom knobs. Looks like another dinky knob is missing from the ONE-SET FINE TUNE hole above the channel selector. Anybody got any spares? (I know, ha-ha, but you can't blame a guy for asking.)

blue_lateral
10-03-2006, 12:54 PM
I need that same or similar fine-tuning knob for my ctc9. I haven't found anything that will even fit through the hole. It might be down to making one or something. Good luck.

John

jstout66
10-03-2006, 12:55 PM
actually Moyers Electronics (1-800-577-6001) may have NOS knobs for it. Give em a call along with the model number. NICE set by the way!

wcarroll
10-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Glad you got it home OK! Interesting that it is actually a CTC11 chassis... Is there any model number for the set on any of the labels or on the cabinet back?

bgadow
10-03-2006, 10:43 PM
I knew you didn't have the patience to wait it out...I know I never do! Looks great!

Phil Nelson
10-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Interesting that it is actually a CTC11 chassis... Is there any model number for the set on any of the labels or on the cabinet back?
The back is conveniently missing (of course). These photos show the front, what looks like a CTC11 stamp on the back of the chassis, and the label on the bottom of the cabinet shelf.

wcarroll
10-04-2006, 11:21 PM
The SAMS for the CTC11 chassis shows three different part numbers for the contrast, brightness, vertical hold and horizontal hold knobs. I suppose that the differences are in color or trim depending on the model of the set. The part numbers are 109274, 107605, and 109571 in case you want to run them by Moyer's.

Your set looks a lot like "The Winfield", except for some differences in the feet on the cabinet. Does your CRT have the safety glass bonded directly to the tube?

Wes

Phil Nelson
10-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the tips on the knobs!

Re safety glass, there's no separate safety glass in front of the CRT, or any indication that there once was such a thing. Just the rounded CRT face poking out into the bezel. So perhaps the safety glass is bonded to the CRT. This is my first early-ish color set, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Phil Nelson

blue_lateral
10-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Your picture of the tube layout shows 21fjp22, which has a bonded glass. It should be frosted. Also common during this period is the 21fbp22, which is the same tube without the safety glass. They usually have a dark tinted, curved safety glass laid on the front of the tube with a black rubber or vinyl gasket. It looks lust like the front of the tube when installed, but isnt frosted.

John

Phil Nelson
10-06-2006, 01:48 PM
I phoned Moyers about knobs, and the guy said, "They're all gone!"

Guess it's time to hit some swap meets and look for some guy with a box of a zillion old knobs.

Phil

bluenorm
10-07-2006, 11:01 AM
hi phill

welcome to the CTC 11 club.

Phil Nelson
10-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Say, does anyone have a close-up photo showing the channel selector? The photo of a CTC-10 in the Antique Trader TV book shows a peekaboo type knob, where the selector uncovers the number on a plate behind it. My CTC-11 has a generic looking selector knob, without the peekaboo opening, but it may be a non-original replacement.

Just wondering what to look for if I'm rummaging around at a swap meet.

bluenorm
10-09-2006, 03:16 PM
There two types of tuner knobs for you CT11 , one with the vhf only and one with the uhf, both of them looks the same. some ct10's tuner knob could be use

your is model 213g225mu (drummond) only with vhf and/ or 213g225mv with uhf

we have the same tv

wcarroll
10-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Phil, See attached pictures of the knob from my CTC11. There should be a gold disc in the middle of the knob that is missing right now. The channel numbers appear in the stationary window and you can also view the current channel from the top or side. My knob has a "U" setting even though the set does not have a UHF tuner.

Wes

Phil Nelson
10-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Excellent! I may never find the real thing, but at least I know what I should be seeking.

Phil "bringing those photos to the swap meet" Nelson