View Full Version : RCA CTC203 whining, buzzing chirp.

RetroHacker
07-22-2006, 12:19 PM
I've got a CTC203 that doesn't work. When plugged in, it produces what I can best describe as a whining, buzzing, chirp. Opening the set, I found a dime sized disc of metal with a part number 100-01A A1719 inside the set - it's the degauss thermistor, only it's fallen off it's legs. This shouldn't be the cause of the problem, as it should only take out the degauss circuit. This is one of those wacky switchmode solid state sorts of problems - what am I looking at here? Surely one of you RCA gurus out there has seen this one before.

Thanks!

-Ian

devoid
07-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Start by checking the horizontal output transistor. If it's chirping the supply is OK other than a possible shorted diode off the transformer. That's my input at the moment but there could be other things like a bad flyback.

Geoff Bourquin
07-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Usually a shorted horizontal output, like Devoid says. Also check the little coil between the horizontal drive transformer and the base of the output transistor. A bad connection there probably caused the transistor to short.

rcaman
07-22-2006, 09:14 PM
i believe the coil is marked l4104 i think. if you continue to run it like this you will take out your power supply. put you a rca output in not a generic and resolder that coil and it will be good to go. coil is tied to the base of the horizontal output. the set will work fine without the degaussing thermistor till you get a replacement. you can also unsolder the horiz. output and see if you got sound on the set. good luck steve