View Full Version : Need advice--please don't hate me!

veg-o-matic
06-30-2003, 09:33 AM
I know I'm going to make some enemies here, but I'm at wits end over this set!
Got an Olympic CB137 that I've had two different places and neither one can get the dang thing going. It's a gorgeous blonde set I got from Captainmoody last year and I don't want to trash it. Nor do I want it to just take up space.
So what I want to do (here it comes...) is take out the picture tube and slide a new color set in the cabinet. I know, I know, but at least I'm not turning it into a liquor cabinet!
I've got the Sams for it but it doesn't mention how to remove the tube. Anyone got any advice? There's a bracket-y thing on the top of the tube bolted to the cabinet and it looks like there's another bracket bolted to the bottom. Please bear in mind that I'm rather fumble-fingered and would like to do this without killing myself or losing an eye!
I'll make sure to take a picture of the original and post it before I begin my unfortunate hatchet-job.
Thanks, and I'm really not a bad person!
Bob

Steve D.
06-30-2003, 02:23 PM
Bob,
If you feel all else has failed and you cannot bring the set back to life. I guess recycling the cabinet as a housing for a color set is ok. Not my first choice but better then nothing. Perhaps someone can use the old chassis and pix. tube. If the chassis is separate from the pix tube remove it first along with any thing else that might get in the way, (tuner, speaker ect.) Lay the cabinet face down on a blanket to remove pix. tube. You will at least have gravity on your side as you loosen retaining brackets.
Remove any neck componets to ease lifting. Do not handle the tube soley by the neck. Beaware of residual high voltage. WEAR GLOVES & SAFETY GLASSES! And
have a spot picked out in advance to place the pix tube on. Watch your back as some of these tubes are heavier then you think. If the chassis and pix tube are one unit, leave set up right and lossen all connections, bolts and brackets and slide out. This will be very heavy. Use the same precatuions. Good luck.
Steve

Eric H
06-30-2003, 06:49 PM
Hi Bob, what size screen is this thing? If it's bigger than 12" I suppose we can forgive you for scrapping it :D

I could use a 21EP4 CRt (hint, hint) ;)

Eric H
06-30-2003, 10:35 PM
Good idea, post a picture before you start cutting.
Maybe someone will take a shot at fixing it and buy it from you!

veg-o-matic
07-01-2003, 09:54 AM
Eric:

Dude, if I can get the pic tube out without killing myself or losing an eye, it's yours! Sorry, but I left the paperwork at home and I can't remember the tube number. It's a 21-something, that I know.

If it's something you can't use (or anyone else for that matter), I got another question. I read on another site that the easy way to release the vacuum in a CRT is to snap off the little glass thingie that resides under the tube cap. Anyone ever done this? Should I notify my next of kin?

As for selling the set, nope. Like it too much and it goes really well with my Silvertone stereo console.

Bob

veg-o-matic
07-03-2003, 10:22 AM
Eric:
According to the Sams, the picture tube is a 21CBP4A. Something you can use? Anybody? I think it's the original CRT as it has the Olympic logo painted on it.

Tubejunke
07-05-2003, 12:28 AM
:eek: Eric, Please dont release the vacume from that tube. Even though it may not be the popular round 40s variety it is still a 50 year old vital part that they just dont make any more. Now the big buck 40s collectors may not give a rats *** about these but as time moves on the 50s and even 60s sets will be more and more collectable and valueable. I know space is an issue with most folks. I cant keep every CRT I come across. I am lucky enough to know a "big buck" guy who seems to apreciate later than 1950 stuff. He comes and loads up his van one or twice a year. Sometimes trade, sometimes free. Keep the hobby alive. Pass it on....

Greg