View Full Version : Local clubs are still the best!

Dave S
07-19-2006, 04:57 PM
A lot of nice stuff has become available through eBay, but local clubs are still the best way to find a good deal.

I have always wanted to add a Sony 8-301 to my collection, but I wasn't willing to pay what they're going for online, and only a couple of real beat up parts sets have surfaced locally through the years. Last Friday at our local radio club meeting a fellow collector, who knew I would be pleased, offered this one to me for several times what he paid for it at a garage sale. (He had invested the princely sum of ten dollars! :D )

It came with the case, which has no rips, all the knobs and buttons are intact as well as the hood, and (I might not have risked this myself but he plugged it in when he got it) it still even kinda works!

At the same meeting, an Admiral 19A11 in near mint condition went for $50. Ya gotta love the local clubs!

--Dave

http://audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20919&stc=1
http://audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20920&stc=1

El Predicta
07-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Recently I got the same set from a local (VRPS) club auction for $50.00. Here's another: I got 10 filing cabinets full of Sam's Photofacts for $10! and a Predicta Holiday for $70.
The real value of club membership, like AudioKarma is the sharing of knowledge and ideas.

vintagecollect
07-19-2006, 06:51 PM

Dave S
07-19-2006, 08:10 PM
Here's another: I got 10 filing cabinets full of Sam's Photofacts for $10!
Great deals like that are the reason I can no longer completely close my garage doors!

Vintagecollect: In one way, the Sony 5-303 was my first "vintage" TV; I had one when they first came out! I have a shelf full of them now, but I hadn't noticed your photo before. It definitely displays nicely that way!

--Dave

Sandy G
07-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Why do so many of those 8-301Ws look like they've been rode hard & put up wet? Yours doesn't, but so many of 'em look like they've been thru the Battle of the Bulge...

Tony V
07-20-2006, 02:27 AM
I wish there were clubs (unless there are some i'm not aware of) like that around here as it would be fun to see what you could stumble upon. I saw a restored one of those at an antique mall in PA i went to one time along with a Sylvania Halolight and was impressed on how nice they played. The Sylvania was lazer sharp and had a bluish tint to it instead of the normal gray which took me back as i've only seen a picture that sharp on a Zenith. Nice find!
Tony