View Full Version : Got a Zenith Space command PORTABLE BW set tonight!!

rca2000
07-18-2006, 01:03 AM
I keep finding 'em!! This week, it was a vintage tv set, much like one I had over 20 years ago, but "dumped"(I was yong and dumb, or something.)

This is a 16f27(1961) chassis. a 19" portable. It is NOT clean, with some rust on the cabinet(not real bad, and the front looks pretty good) and some "crud" all over the bottom and back. It is still in my van, I will try and get pix's soon. But hey, a tranny-powered metal Zenith, WITH remote and for FREE(a "shopping" find!!)-- it is hard to beat that, in the tv world!!

jpdylon
07-18-2006, 01:23 AM
nice grab, and with the remote yet. You can always blast the cabinet and repaint if you want it looking cherry. I think the CRT and chassis were bolted together, so remember this when trying to remove the chassis. While you have everything apart would be a great time to take the safty glass out and clean it along with the face of the CRT.

These point-to-point wired zenith chassis are probably some of the best tv chassis ever-- period. Get this set working right and you'll be happy for a long time.

rca2000
07-18-2006, 05:58 PM
And it does KINDA work. I get HV, the power tuner works, sound(with some buzz) and a picture of sorts. the CRT appears to be good, (a 19cxp4, I think) and original. It produces an acceptably bright picture.

However, I CANNOT get the vertical to stop rolling or fold over. It will roll one way, then the other, and "stop", but PART of the picture will be flashing over the other, and I hear the VO transformer buzzing with the flashing of the picture.

But all in all, not a bad find. Some rust on the top(as the pictures show,) but the chassis is NOT bad, only dirty(VERY). I suspect this thing has sat for 30 or more years since last fired.

Adam
07-18-2006, 08:13 PM
That's a really great find. I like those Zenith b&w portable sets, I got two of them, one with SC one without.