View Full Version : some more TV finds

drh4683
07-09-2006, 10:52 AM
I didnt expect to find a bunch of TV's this weekend. Lately, I havnt found much of anything. I went to an estate sale in Berwyn and found 3 vintage sets. Im currently trying to downsize my collection but I had to take these anyway as you know what would have happened otherwise.
First set I found in the basement was a '68 zenith space command 400 color console. I was surprized to see such a set with space command 400. I had no idea zenith still made a space command 400 color TV as late as 1968. After getting home and checking my references, this model is the very last space command 400 color set. Only one model was made that year and this is it. Considering all of the models to choose from that year (close to 50 color sets) this is a rare find. CRT was weak, otherwise it worked.
Upstairs in the bedroom was a 1959 zenith space command 300 console. A very "50's" looking set with dual speakers. CRT was dead in this one too. I zapped it and it came to life strong. Then in another bedroom was a 1973 philco table color set, hybrid of course. This one no HV. Got them all for $20.

andy
07-09-2006, 01:03 PM
CRT was dead in this one too. I zapped it and it came to life strong.

I had a Zenith with that chassis and I found that the CRT was totally dead when I first powered it on. After about an hour of running, it looked like new. Something about those Zenith CRTs causes them to temporarily lose emission after sitting unused for a long time. Even after only a few weeks of disuse, it took a good 10 min to come back to 100%. Being powered off for shorter lengths of time wasn't a problem though.

I'm telling you this so you don't zap the CRT again if it looks bad after sitting for a while.

polaraman
07-09-2006, 08:01 PM
drh4683,

You should change your name to Space Commander! You seem to find all the Zenith remote control sets.

polaraman

drh4683
07-10-2006, 06:03 PM
polaraman,
Ive thought about that too! LOL!! Its funny, I never found space command sets before. Now, if Im lucky enough to find these old sets, they end up being space commands. I just wish I had more room darn it! My collection is so huge, but its filled with sets I really like (such as the space commands) so its hard to let anything go.

As for the CRT in the 59 zenith, I gave it a simple zap with my B+K 440 and it came back to life almost like brand new. Even after a cold start up of the set, the CRT is bright and sharp as new. The remote didnt work, due to an open filament in the 5Y3 on the SC chassis. Tells me the set was plugged in with the chassis active untill the tube finally gave up. Ive run into open filaments on the 5Y3 before in the early SC sets. I havnt done much with the color set yet, but I havnt attempted to zap it. All I did was raise the filaments for about 5 minutes and it helped but still not too good. The philco does actually work. The picture flashed in on me with good color but has very bad horizontal shrink on both sides. So that one needs a check of the horiz. sweep or possibly the power supply. Will keep you updated with the progress.

Tony V
07-12-2006, 02:29 AM
Doug can you PM me as i have tried to PM you several times and your box has been full.
Thanks,
Tony