View Full Version : Interesting curb side find: 1961 JVC

tv beta guy
06-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Saw this sitting beside the road and picked it up. At first, when I picked it up, from the logo on the back, I thought it said RCA Victor on it. Got home and looked at it, and it said JVC. Model #PTV-19, made in Japan.

Outside it really needs cleaned up, and is missing all the knobs. Interally it is all loose dirt and looks almost brand new. It is just missing one tube which I have to identify yet. Otherwise it is complete.

Dave S
06-24-2006, 05:07 PM
I wonder if that's a Predicta picture tube in there?

Eric H
06-24-2006, 05:53 PM
Man, look at the quality of that thing! The tube shields look mil-spec.

veg-o-matic
06-24-2006, 09:06 PM
Didn't JVC make Delmonico sets? I always thought they were pretty cheap (Consumer Reports certainly thought so.)

veg

Tony V
06-24-2006, 11:51 PM
From the looks of that tube socket it might use a 5U4 there. I have a tv from around the same era as that one and it still had one in it. Only trouble is that those JVC's used some odd ball tubes so it might not be that number but it should perform the same function. Its interesting to see a JVC that old old though and it looks like it has some potential. Dave thats not a Predicta tube as its more rectangular than the Predicta's were. I bet it would fit ones like the newer Setchell Carlsons though.
Tony

Celt
06-24-2006, 11:53 PM
I think I see the word "Delmonico" just beneath the neck of the pic-tube. Interesting set!

tv beta guy
06-25-2006, 12:09 AM
Yeah, it is a Delmonico, as that sticker says.

And I do think I have a 5U4 laying around somewhere. Thanks Tony :)

robert1
06-25-2006, 11:00 PM
That is not a 5U4 socket. the deflection yoke plugs in there. you will need to fish the yoke leads out from behind the chassis apron

tv beta guy
06-25-2006, 11:09 PM
That is not a 5U4 socket. the deflection yoke plugs in there. you will need to fish the yoke leads out from behind the chassis apron

oops :p I didn't have time to even look at the TV this weekend, other than taking the back off, but that was it. The CRT was also unplugged as well when I got it.

I may attempt to slowly bring it up on power later this week then, see what happens.

bgadow
06-26-2006, 01:22 PM
Very American looking...I can just picture the Japanese engineers dismantling suitcase portables from RCA, GE, Emerson, Admiral, etc, and distilling them into their own design.

nasadowsk
06-26-2006, 06:10 PM
<i>Very American looking...I can just picture the Japanese engineers dismantling suitcase portables from RCA, GE, Emerson, Admiral, etc, and distilling them into their own design.</i>

Steal the cabinet design and build a better set from scratch seems more like it. Most 'portable' sets of that era from the US weren't as nice inside, save for S-C (of course!).

Then again, what's 'portable' here isn't in Japan.

I wouldn't mind an early Japanese tube set, though I'd probbably want Panasonic or such.

And they're NTSC so you can watch them here!