View Full Version : Rca Xl-100 Ctc-97

Cosmic Charlie
06-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Hi, This is my first post on the TV boards. I spend most of my time in audio, altho I do come here from time to time, and I have done a search for my problem. I have an old 1970's? 19" RCA XL-100 that my parents bought new. They used it probably 15-20 yrs trouble free. I can't remember why they retired it. The other day I was cleaning out one of the bedrooms and came across it. I took it to my bench, blew out 30 yrs. worth of dust and for the hell of it I plugged it in. Bingo I have picture, I have sound, actually quite a nice picture, with good color. Now for the problem, On a few channels, ch.3 mostly there are some parrellell white lines that go from the left top of the screen to the right top of the screen. These lines are not solid they start with like a 1" dash a 3" dash 6"solid line a few 1" dashes and so on. There is like 4 or 5 of these broken lines that are always present on 3 or 4 channels. The chassis is a CTC-97. I was hoping someone here may have had some experience with this problem or this particular unit. Or if maybe this unit had an inherent weakness in a certain circuit that always had problems (bad diodes, bad resistors, bad solder joints). Well I apreciate anyone who takes their time to read my thread, and possibly respond with some advice, or suggestions, or guidence. Thanks to all, all you fathers have an enjoyable fathers day. CC

rca2000
06-17-2006, 06:17 PM
It is sent along in the video signal, to discourage copying of the programming. Many tv's don't show it. but some do........

There may be a modification to get rid of those...but I don't really know what it is....

wa2ise
06-17-2006, 07:02 PM
It also might be teletext or closed caption data in the vertical interval. The vertical blanking circuit may not be working well if the vertical height is good. Or maybe the vertical height is a little short. Capacitors around the vertical chip may be getting weak.

andy
06-17-2006, 10:19 PM
It's not macrovision, but it is data (such as captions) in the vertical blanking interval. It's common for old TVs to let some of this appear on the screen. You can't count on any TV made before about 1980 to completely blank the signal in the VBI. Modern TVs do a better job of turning off the picture when the scanning beam goes from the bottom back to the top.

Cosmic Charlie
06-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks alot for the replies. I will take them all into consideration. While searching the internet, for possible answers, I stumbled across in google groups, a posting about this problem in this very same chassis. In the thread a person was trying to troubleshoot the same symptoms. Among the replies and suggestions where mentioned two 220 kOhm resistors that would go off spec. R-116, and R-117, they say they test okay in circuit but to change them out anyway. Has anyone encountered this, that could confirm or deny that this may be a possible fix. I don't have a SM or a schematic for this unit so locating these resistors will be a puzzle in itself. I know I'm asking alot of you guys, but I was just hoping that someone may have come across this problem in the past. This is a very heavy built Television and it does have a very nice picture, except what I describe in an earlier posting. Im not so concerned with the lines, persea, running thru a cable box I must leave the set, set on ch. 3 which is the worst offender. I'm more concerned with further damage that may occure if the problem is not corrected. Well thanks alot anyways, anymore suggestions, all are welcome. Is there a website that may give some insight CC

Bill R
06-18-2006, 09:26 PM
I would try the vertical height adjustment first. According to the Field Service Guide there should be 3/8 inch of overscan. That would make the lines not visible.Those resistors are in the 180 volt source to the vertical stage. They are located on the pw300 board, and are connected to the base of Q3019 and Q3021. c3071 could also be leaky it is a 30mf 250volt capacitor. Like I said though I would start with the height adjustment first.

Bill R

Cosmic Charlie
06-19-2006, 06:39 PM
Thanks, Bill. I pulled those two resistors, that I mentioned, and checked them and they check out OK, reinstalled them. That vert hgt adj did away with most of the problem, still very faint lines, but much better. I've never worked on a TV before, this one is very neatly laid out and everything is nicely labled, makes it much easier to find componants. thanks to all who tried to assist me. CC