View Full Version : Dishonest eBay Seller?

rld-tv01
06-14-2006, 06:39 PM
I put a bid on this Automatic tv on eBay. The seller cancelled all bids after 1 day with "the item no longer available" as the reason.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6288669051&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

He relisted with buy it now for $650 and it immediately sold.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6288940851

I wrote a formal complaint to eBay about this one. Both the seller and buyer have high feedback so eBay probably will not kick them off eBay.

ybaolywa
06-14-2006, 06:46 PM
Sorry to hear it happened to you. I bet that takes place a lot on rare, vintage and like items. Ebay should act on your complaint & at the very least warn them. Hope they respond.

azguy1878
06-14-2006, 07:09 PM
the guy that bought it probably made on offer, so the seller relisted it for $650 as the BUY IT NOW so that theres a record of the transaction..i see it happen all the time..

smoker76
06-14-2006, 07:16 PM
I hope a deserving person got it.
I never imagined such a screen.
I would love to see that TV working.
Did one have to be dead on center viewing to see properly?
Seems a side view would be off shape.

Eric H
06-14-2006, 07:17 PM
the guy that bought it probably made on offer, so the seller relisted it for $650 as the BUY IT NOW so that theres a record of the transaction..i see it happen all the time..

Yep, not dishonest, just irritating :yes:
Actually more honest since eBay gets their cut this way.

vintagecollect
06-14-2006, 10:15 PM
guess tv's worth that when restored??

I had the same thing happen to me-- WORSE. My high bid didn't meet reserve, so seller sold immediately for same amount. In this hobby, a more realistic price is done ususally in a handshake deal. This more stable way of TV buying really doesn't happen anymore.
:thumbsdn:

It's a shame since you don't have to worry about outbidding highest bidder at last minute. When you go to sell item, next highest bidder will want OR you lose a lot of cash!! Please be mindful when bidding.
:sigh:

My best deals lately have not been w/ eprey.
:scratch2:

ChuckA
06-14-2006, 11:19 PM
rld,

Look at the time when the item was pulled and when the item was sold; and tell me it wasn't a setup. Pissed me off too.

bgadow
06-16-2006, 11:50 AM
I guess I'm dense but I just don't see how, most of the time, it benefits the seller to end early. It seems that the maximum potential will not be realized until the last second of the auction so why settle for some offer? A couple times I have had offers on things I was selling, and they were generous, but they were less than the final selling price. If they want it that bad they should put their best bid forward and wait a few days.

Eric H
06-16-2006, 12:12 PM
The buyer was Digitalusaguy, no way anyone would have outbid him anyway, he's a "deep pockets" buyer :yes:

kx250rider
06-16-2006, 12:46 PM
The buyer was Digitalusaguy, no way anyone would have outbid him anyway, he's a "deep pockets" buyer :yes:

Some day I want to get to see his collection :D

I know through a mutual friend that he has some pretty nice stuff, and he's in the Santa Barbara area. He's bought a lot of stuff from me on eBay too. Not sure if he's on this board.

Charles

Phil Nelson
06-16-2006, 02:36 PM
tell me it wasn't a setup.

No lie. 3 minutes after it was pulled, it's relisted and sold with Buy It Now.

I still don't get why the dude didn't just pull the auction and sell it off the books. A couple of years ago, I went to look at a very desirable McMurdo Silver radio. The owner said, "Give me a check right now, and I'll cancel the auction saying the radio fell off the back of my pickup." (His price was twice the honest value, so I declined.)

I'm kinda burned out on 7-inch TVs, but I definitely covet this model. Wasn't there another one on eBay within the last year?

andy
06-16-2006, 06:04 PM