View Full Version : Brought home another RCA

Charlie
06-10-2003, 08:25 PM
I brought home another set from "the attic" today. When I first saw this set a few months back, i thought it to be a CTC7 Anderson set. It's dark in this old shop attic, so looking around involves a flashlight (one that needs new batteries). Once I got this set outside in the sunlight, I realized it wasn't an Anderson. Turned out to be the CTC9 Winslow set.

The cabinet is hurtin pretty bad on the top, and I hope to be able to fix that up with a trip to Home Depot. The front and sides are in pretty good shape and should clean up nicely.

This one has the 21CYP22-A and checks out with good emissions. Unfortunately, someone got a little rough with the pins and bent one way over. Hopefully I will be able to get it back in place without it coming off. Even if it does break off, it looks like there will be enough sticking out so I could solder it back on.

The chassis looks complete with no apparent failures. However, I did find 3 loose damper tubes in cabinet. Maybe a clue? Also, a quick glance under the chassis found a tube soldered into a circuit using two of the pins. I didn't go as far yet as to figure out which circuit it is or what that tube is hanging out in there. In any case, it is there and someone was creative and trying to make up for some problem.

Rob
06-10-2003, 11:19 PM
Charlie,

Way to go! That must have been fun trying to get it home. You didn't carry it down from the attic yourself did you?

That one is worth putting new veneer on the top.

Too bad about the CRT pin. No way that will survive straightening. Just don't loose the wire that is on this pin. You might be better off replacing the whole male plug for one salvaged from a dud CRT! That's what I'd do.

Rob

Charlie
06-10-2003, 11:34 PM
It wasn't too bad getting down. Luckily, I had some help from a friend of mine. I had already removed the chassis from this set, so that helped out as far as the weight.

Right now, I am trying to get the safety glass off using the instructions on the front of the Sams. It says to start prying from the ends on the trim, but it doesn't seem to want to let go, and I sure would hate bending it.

I am glad that this set is an upright model. That will save on space considering on how wide some of my other consoles are!

Rob
06-10-2003, 11:48 PM
Charlie,

The brass around the window on my CTC-4 has tabs that go through the front of the cabinet. You have to remove little clips from the inside before the brass trim will come out. This might be the way your's is. Also, if this is the case...make sure you don't let the glass fall on the floor while you are dinkin' around inside the back of the set.

Rob

Charlie
06-11-2003, 12:15 AM
I finally got it. Turns out the insrtuctions were right, just not completely clear. Sure would have been a lot easier if they had just used some small screws.

Eric H
06-11-2003, 12:20 AM
Charlie, that little tube underneath is the 3.58 oscillator. My 7 has one too, not sure when they went to metal crystals?

rcaman
06-11-2003, 08:01 AM
i have the same set good cabinet and great picture. good luck with the set. steve

Charlie
06-11-2003, 09:51 AM
Eric,

OK, I see! Being that this is the earliest color chassis I've played with, I would have expected the metal crystal.

I found the remains of a repair ticket in the set last night with nothing written on it other than the customer's name and a date of 1975. I am assuming that this was the last time it was brought into the shop and probably was retired at that time.

rca2000
06-11-2003, 11:17 AM
I happen to know where a small quantity of nos bases are for the 21"color tubes. If you need one ,let me know, and we can work out shipping and purchase amtters.

Charlie
06-11-2003, 02:09 PM
From Unimatic's thread on his CTC9, i am aware that this is the Winslow. Does anyone out there happen to have anything with the style model number? This set had no back, so I don't have that info. Thru process of elimination of a couple of sources, I have come to the conclusion that this is the 210CT822. Can anyone verify this for me?

Thanks.

captainmoody
06-11-2003, 02:27 PM
Hi Charlie,
Nice find! Did you bring it home in the trunk of the '67 Ford?

Steve D.
06-11-2003, 04:59 PM
Hi Charlie,
Nice find!
Your Winslow is Model #210-CK-875 CTC-9A. The # you posted is for the CTC-9 "Boswell" table model in ebony.

Charlie
06-11-2003, 06:47 PM
Capt,

Had I been desperate, and with Rob's help, I could have managed it into the trunk of the Galaxie. Would have needed a few extra cushions in there to protect the sides. Luckily, my kid brother is in Florida right now on a vacation trip, so I swiped his truck for a couple of days! :D

Steve,

Thanks for the info on the number. I appreciate it! :)

captainmoody
06-11-2003, 09:09 PM
Thats good! I had a '67 LTD a few years ago that I restored and it seemed like whenever I drove it I came across tv sets! I liked that deep trunk that it had.

Charlie
06-15-2003, 09:27 PM
A few days ago, I took some soap and the garden hose to the chassis of this set. Cleaned up pretty good. There is a little bit of rust around the rear edges, but not bad.

Today I decided to try giving the chassis its first taste of electricity in 28 years. I put in about a dozen tubes, and then went through the long painful process of slowly raising the power to it. After a few hours of increasing the voltage bit by bit (and so far no bad surprises), I connected a wire for an antenna and a test speaker. Hey! We got some sound going on here! :D I was able to tune in the local stations pretty good. I let it run this way for about an hour. No smoke, no sparks, no hot parts.

I did notice that the first IF tube had a noticeable increase in brightness when I would put the tuner on channel 4. Not exactly enough to light up a room, but just enough to say "hey, that's odd!" Swapping it out with another 6BZ6 cured that.

So far, the only thing noticeable is that the flyback has had some work done on it. Looks like some of the leads were changed, and looks like a little bit of wax dripped from it. Doesn't look too bad... I've seen far worse. There is also the fact that there were 3 loose damper tubes rolling around in the cabinet. For now, I will put this on the list of possible failures (although it may turn out to be good).

Charlie
06-20-2003, 09:26 PM
Okay CTC-9 owners.... I need some help. I've got a stray wire just chillin out with nothing to do. I'm trying to figure out where he goes. :dunno:

It's located on the top side of the chassis towards the rear. It comes thru a hole right between the two 6CG7 tubes in the color section. It has brown insulation. I am assuming it connects somewhere around the fuse block and that heavy duty resistor. If anyone could take a look at their 9, I would appreciate it! :D

Eric H
06-20-2003, 10:18 PM
Could it just be a gimmick or a test point?

Charlie
06-20-2003, 10:29 PM
eric,

I had considered that, and it looks that it could very well be. They point to a TP1 on page 14 in the Sams 459-1. The picture is not entirely clear right there and it's kinda hard to make out exactly what the arrow points to. I had traced the other end to the underside and it connects to the same place as R159. In the schematic, there is a test point on one side of that R159.

rcaman
06-20-2003, 10:40 PM
it is indeed a test point. i believe you ground that wire for the adjustment of the 3.58mhz oscillatar. steve

Charlie
06-20-2003, 10:50 PM
Cool! Then a test point it is! Thanks for your help guys. :)

Unimatic1140
06-21-2003, 06:39 PM
Hey Charlie, very nice find, congrats! I haven't even begun work on my Windslow yet, I'm saving that for my winter project. Keep up posted.

Charlie
06-21-2003, 07:20 PM
Thanks, Uni. I am in the process of gathering caps for it right now. I've got everything I need except that 2 mfd cap that goes on the video board.

I think I will find my problem in the HV. I've let the chassis run without the horz and HV tubes in place, and everything seems OK. The flyback looks like it might be at fault. I see a little burn spot on one side of it that looks like might have leaked HV. Doesn't look severe, but just enough to probably cause a problem. I'll wait till I get the new caps in before turning on the HV.

There is one thing about this set I've learned so far... getting the chassis in and out of the cabinet requires holding it prefectly straight! If you tilt it ever so slightly, it gets wedged in the cabinet. There is a piece of wood just above the tuner that gives almost ZERO clearance when trying to remove the chassis. :(

Charlie
06-27-2003, 07:33 PM
Got my first picture out of the CTC9. It ain't great, but at least it's alive. Not much audio either. Still have some things to go through. Picture is pretty unstable and obviously isn't filling the screen completely. Later tonight I will try swapping some tubes out.

Main problem turned out to be a high voltage leak at the flyback. A temporary piece of cardboard in the path of the arc stopped that. Will get some silicon caulk to fix that. Also, the 2mfd lytic on the video board was completely shot.

Two of the electrolytic cans turned out being backwards in the set compared to the layout in the Sams diagram. Didn't realize it till I had half of them changed. Talk about pissed off! So, that gave me an excuse to go drink a few beers before rewiring everything a second time around. My attitude was a little better after a few drinks!

I fly out Monday to meet the ship in Bayonne, NJ, so today is probably the last time I get to play with the set till I return. I have to spend this weekend getting ready to go. That sucks... just when I felt like I was making progress! Oh well... I'll have something to look forward to when I return in late August.

rcaman
06-28-2003, 07:19 AM
the set is looking good. i have an extra flyback for my 2 ctc9,s and my 2 ctc10,s and one for the sears silvertone i bought of ebay. moyer electronice probley has one for your ctc9. i would buy an extra even though you might fix yours. i always try to buy an extra fly for my sets just in case. try moyer at. www.moyerelectronics.com tell them steve sent you.
also remember to solder the boards in your ctc9 most important is the ground connections at the chassis. steve

Charlie
06-28-2003, 11:32 AM
Thanks, Steve. I will look into that. This flyback has already been worked on before, so an extra spare would probably be a good idea.

Here's another shot without the camera flash turned on. The previous photo kinda got washed out from the flash. :o

Charlie
06-28-2003, 11:38 AM
Also,

If anyone happens to have any spare knobs they wouldn't mind parting with, I could use a few. My channel selector and vol/bright knobs are a bit worn. Most important, I am missing a color/tint knob (the one on the left in the photo).

Thanks

wiseguy
06-28-2003, 06:04 PM
hi charlie,you say your picture tube is an "21CYP22A"
how do the reds look on it..?,it looks great so far,nice set!!
I have a ctc-5 coming yet and put my ctc-7 up for sale,but not on e-bay,i just dont know yet what kinda room i will have once i move..
terry

Charlie
06-28-2003, 11:52 PM
Terry,

It does have the 21CYP22A. Here are some quickie colors. The reds seem okay so far. The screen needs to be demagnetized.

Haven't had much to do any further work to it. Been itchin' really bad to go out there and change the last few caps, but I spent most of today tieing up loose ends before returning to sea. Will be packing and shutting down stuff in the house tomorrow. I hate getting ready to go back to work! :(

rcaman
07-07-2003, 04:00 PM
my ctc 9 chass i restored also had vertical hight problems after all electrolytic caps were changed. i changed all the orange drops on the vertical output board and everything is fine now. i guess they had a lot of stress on them even though they were orange drops {or mine were brown} steve

rcaman
07-07-2003, 04:02 PM
there is also a black beauty cap on the horizontal osc. board change that also. i believe it is .01 @ 600v steve

Charlie
07-10-2003, 10:14 AM
Steve,

Thanks for those pointers. I still have 3 lytics to change... an 80 mfd and two 160's. I swapped out the black beauties on the horz. board and AC line in. If it turns out I cant get the picture to open the rest of the way, I'll tackle the old orange drops you suggested.

Unfortunately, this will all have to wait till late August when I return home. I am at work on the ship right now, and we'll be docking in Philly in another hour or so. Our last port was Searsport, Maine (wow that place is small). Being at work kinda has a bad habit of getting in the way of TV work! :eek: