View Full Version : Another nice zenith 21" on ebay

drh4683
06-09-2003, 08:33 AM
Here is a another nice 21" zenith. I live within his 100 mile shipping radius, so I hope to be the high bidder as I have very few round sets. They are always on the east coast, for once one is close by!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2178586111&category=3638

veg-o-matic
06-09-2003, 08:48 AM
Dang! Well, hope you get it. If I were closer, I'd buy it right out from under you! It's just what I've been looking for.

Charlie
06-09-2003, 10:24 AM
Wow! They had kept that thing in the attic? I bet that was quite a job getting it in and out of there! I wonder what other goodies they have... that SS Impala is pretty cool, too! :cool:

Rob
06-09-2003, 10:54 AM
Good luck on this auction Doug! Very nice looking metal set.

Charlie, I had one of those 1967 Impala SS's. Mine had the 396 with 4-spd in the console. Nice car. I bought mine when it was just 4 years old. White outside with red leatherette interior and bucket seats. I sunk a small fortune into that car.

Rob

rca2000
06-09-2003, 11:51 AM
But, i live in Ohio, and that is just too far for me to drive. My old van is not up to the probably 1200+ mile trip, each way. But, at least I know, the set will end up in good hands. If I win that old Zenith roundie combo,on e-bay, I can assure everyone that it will NOT be gutted, but I will probably put it in my basement, across from my other zenith roundie, my 29jc20 set.

Good luck, and I hope you get it!! that chassis is the late 1963 version, and uses a 6hf5 horiz. out tube. I had one of those sets, about 20 years ago, but, I was young, and dumb, and ,well... it did not survive today.

drh4683
06-09-2003, 12:56 PM
Interesting to note, I have a service manual for that chassis and it lists the 5010 model as a "table" tv? Looks to huge to be a table tv. I know some of the table sets had threads on the bottom for screw in legs. Since this is a metal cabinet tv, it may be a table type set. We know the back cover is correct, it fits the back of the tv. Anyone know?

drh4683
06-09-2003, 01:27 PM
I did some more checking in my service manual. THe parts list indicates that it is a metal cabinet table tv. Also, there are optional wooden legs for the cabinet for $10! So all is good, its an original tv.

Charlie
06-09-2003, 01:31 PM
Yes, those legs probably unscrew out of there. i have two RCA round color metal sets in the garage that do the same. One of them have the "woodgrain look". They have little rubber feet under there as well for putting on a table. Yes, it would look kinda big sitting on a table. I remember in grade school there were 25" Magnavox color sets on big carts with wheels and one of those early mid-70's VHS monster VCR's. I would guess that most of the ones bought without legs went to schools, hospitals, etc. If a person was trying to get a color set at a low price, they would get the metal box with legs.

drh4683
06-10-2003, 09:06 PM
I have some news about that tv. I noticed that when I was outbid on the tv the other bidder was also from milwaukee. I found this highly ironic as I have never seen "hifi" bid on tvs before. After some investigation, these two guys "xrayrad" and "hifi" are buddys bidding up the $ on each others auctions. Please nobody bid on it as these two sneeks will jack the price through the roof. I am not going to tell ebay, because I dont want to lose out on a nice tv because of a couple of dishonest people. I'll save that till after I get it! (I hope!!)

rca2000
06-10-2003, 11:21 PM
If you don't bid aginst me. I am about to become the owner of that big combo zenith.,if the people who own it now can arrange some help to get it to my van. A fter all ,I will be coming from ohio, and that is a furnuiture store,so that should not be a problem for them, if they want to get rid of it. (my e-bay name is dreamboy6l6, I did not want to change it, and lose my positive rating). It is a shame ,that those guys are playing the old "shill" game with you. such conduct makes e-baying much LESS fun!!

Rob
06-10-2003, 11:29 PM
Dreamboy,

You don't lose your feedback record when you change ebay names. It follows you. You just get cool shades for a month.
I changed my handle a couple of years back from using my actual email address to rcavictim. Feedback record never changed. If it did there would be a lot less people trying to be halfways honest.

Rob

drh4683
06-11-2003, 06:19 PM
Thats a nice combo. I would consider bidding on it if it were closer. No worry, its all yours. I hope I can get this zenith for not too much over $50 as it will only cheat me the higher it goes just to have it. I am probably going to use esnipe at the last 6 seconds so the guys dont have a chance to bring it up.

wiseguy
06-11-2003, 06:46 PM
I am in wisconsin also,i am not bidding on it.. and dont want it..
i didnt know there was anyone in milw area who is into collecting these old set.... but i guess the popularity is growing..
terry

Rob
06-15-2003, 10:33 PM
drh,

I see you were successful winning the auction on this Zenith! The price didn't go nuts either. You did good. :)

Rob

rca2000
06-15-2003, 10:50 PM
Now there is another nice roundie that will not be turned into a bookcase, fish tank, or otherwise. I hope that the crt is decent, and you can get the old girl running good.

Let all of know how the set turns out.

drh4683
06-16-2003, 12:55 AM
Yes, the tv has been saved! I will have the guy drop it off here at my home! I will get some more photos of it as well and let you all know how it all works out!
Doug

drh4683
06-23-2003, 12:36 AM
The guy delivered the set to me yesterday, and was pleased with the appearance. Basically, the steel cabinet is mint, no dents or scraches anywhere. On ebay he said it had scraches. None to be seen, so that was a huge plus. I was a bit scared when he handed me the chassis sticker off the high voltage cage, this told me he was inside the tv messing around. After he told me all about his other old sets, I knew he must have tried to work on this one but gave up and sold it. Yes, it didnt work when I got it. Had a bad focus problem. The 1v2 was missing from its socket, and the socket was pretty well burnt up. This was the second socket, as this one had bad soilder connections and you could tell someone cut the rivits off the hv cage to remove the old one. After putting a new 1v2 in, the socket started glowing red with smoke. Put in a new socket, new 1v2 and we have good picture! The 21FBP22 tested basically like new. I didnt need to mess with the bias control, each color gun was strong. Only thing left to do was get a color to come in. The 6JU8 in the zeniths is a common fault for color loss. Most tubes were original zenith, only needed to replace some of the color tubes. Anyone know why these focus sockets burn up? This is the 3rd socket in this set. Solder connection are good now, and I read 4 kv off the heater, so I know its working fine.
Here are the pics of the set displaying color bars.

drh4683
06-23-2003, 12:40 AM
The chassis is like new too, no rust or anything, barely any dust to begin with. (forgot to put the 26KC20 sticker back on the hv cage as you can see)
All in all, this worked out well. Even though he bid up his own auction, it was worth what I paid.

Steve Hoffman
06-23-2003, 09:32 PM
He bid up his own auction? What a creepazoid!

drh4683
06-23-2003, 10:12 PM
yep, pretty dissapointing steve. You could tell as all of his other auctions had the same bidder in the history. Its funny, he is into old tvs too. I think he gave up as he couldnt figure out what was wrong with this set, so he put up on ebay. I emailed him that its fixed and that it has a wonderful picture. Havnt heard anything back. Oh well, its in good hands now.

Steve Hoffman
06-23-2003, 10:14 PM
It's in great hands now!

Enjoy it!

Jeffhs
06-28-2003, 01:08 AM
DRH4683,

Your recent acquisition is a Zenith 29JC20 from 1963. The last time I saw one of these was 31 years ago, when I was in high school. We had one in our electronics lab that looked as if it was in good shape and probably should have worked, though I don't know if anyone ever tried to fire it up or not. No sense even thinking about that now, though; that set probably went out with the trash long after I graduated in 1975.

The roundies are collectors' items today, even if they aren't quite antiques yet. I had a Silvertone roundie from 1964 (RCA CTC12 chassis) that I picked up in 1970. It had a lot wrong with it (circuit breaker was bad, on-off switch on volume control was shot, convergence was way, way off, etc.), but I managed to get it working after a fashion. Sadly, though, the set met its demise three years later when the video-output tube socket broke out of the video circuit board. :(

Your new ebay find is a Zenith, however, with a hand-wired chassis (Zenith didn't use printed circuits in any of its TVs or radios until the late 1970s or early '80s). You won't have tube socket problems (or any other kind of trouble associated with PC boards) with that set. Not meaning to belittle or attack other manufacturers, Zenith of Chicago in its early days, because they believed in hand-wiring all their sets (radios in the 1920s through the '50s, being joined by televisions from the 50s on), enjoyed a reputation for very high quality throughout the United States; remember their former slogan, "the quality goes in before the name goes on"? Case in point: I have a Zenith radio which was built in 1951; hand-wired, solid metal chassis, the whole nine yards--this set had "Zenith" written all over it, not just on the front panel. The last time I had it on, a month or so ago, it was working unusually well for being over 50 years old--the set even has its original filter caps, or so it seems. If that doesn't speak volumes for the way Zenith built things before they went to Korea in the '80s (they had already begun production of radios and stereo gear there by then; I had a Zenith stereo system from 1982 until 1999 that was made in Korea and which worked quite well over those years), I don't know what will.

Good luck with your new/old Zenith. I'm sure that set will work quite well on cable if you use a converter ahead of it, or on an antenna if you choose not to go that route. You have a set which was made to last, which is more than I can say for some of the inexpensive color sets coming from the Pacific Rim (Korea, Japan, etc.) these days. (There are still some excellent color TVs, radios and so on coming from the Far East made by Sharp, Sanyo, Sony, Hitachi and so forth, however, but one always pays through the nose for them.)

As a Zenith devotee for many years, I am somewhat disappointed that it moved its production facilities to Korea :( but I guess that's where the company figures it will make the most money--and as I think everyone knows (or should know), businesses always go where the big money is, even if it is out of the country.

Kind regards,