View Full Version : Cruising down the road and I found this:

holmesuser01
06-10-2006, 02:49 PM
A Crosley 21" console with doors on the front! :banana: It is model F-21CDLH made by Crosley, a division of AVCO Corporation in Cincinnati. I paid $2 for it, and gave the guys $3 to hoist it into my truck! I'd do it, but I am recovering from abdomen surgery 4 months ago.

When I got it home, 2 neighbors unloaded it for me and stuck it in my garage. All I've done so far is pull off the back and have a look. No tube rectifier in this set, unfortunately.

The seller says it works. I dont believe him, as it is full of spider webs and dampness. I can smell the mildew too. A few days in the garage (at 100 degrees) should help dry it out before I run it on a variac.

I dont have a master SAMS list, but I bet I have a photofact on this one. I have hundreds of early SAMS on these sets. Can anybody look it up and post it here, please?

My roommate is going to refinish the cabinet while I work on the insides. He does that for a living. This set will end up in the living room--next to the 1962 Magnavox console stereo system. Im glad I found it.

Had a dream last night about an old 21" Zenith that I had eons ago that had a Cobra turntable in the bottom of it. Funny how things happen when you think about it.

Bruce

Adam
06-10-2006, 03:36 PM
F21CDLBU1 /CDLH /CDLU = 223-5 (production change bulletin 274-1)
That should be 1953/1954.

"Had a dream last night about an old 21" Zenith that I had eons ago that had a Cobra turntable in the bottom of it." - I dream about old sets all the time, too.

holmesuser01
06-10-2006, 06:38 PM
THANKS ADAM!!! Now to dig thru the file cabinets... :sigh:

Since I had nothing better to do this evening, I pulled each tube and tested it on my ancient Heathkit tube checker that was last updated in 1955. All tubes are original, except the 3-6CB6 IF tubes, the audio output tube, and the sweep tubes, a 6AX4, and a 6BQ5GT.

The kine is a 1958 RCA tube, a 21QP4/QZ4. It has an ion trap.

I have to pull the chassis to get at the HV rectifier. I had an old Motorola once that had the HV tube under the chassis... A pain to service!

All tubes check OK, except the 6BQ5, and the 6AX4. Willing to bet that the 1B3 or whatever it uses is shorted out too. We'll see possibly next weekend, when a couple of friends are coming over to visit. We'll pull the chassis.

I dont have a working cam right now. Someone ran off with the cable that runs between the digi cam and the computer. Need one for a Vivitar. Ideas?

Bruce

Chad Hauris
06-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Does the camera have a place for a memory card? I know some types can either use internal memory or a card...I have always found removing the card and putting in a card reader to download to the computer easier than trying to connect to the camera.