View Full Version : Old B&W sets as "decor"

Carmine
06-08-2003, 06:14 AM
I made this photo for a long-distance friend who wanted to see a picture of my "50s" bedroom. Since it shows my eyeball Zenith set in it's normal enviroment, (along with an old Capehart clock radio) I thought I'd show it here.

The set is hooked-up to a cheapo VCR which hides next to the far side of the bed, on a small shoe shelf, where it cannot be seen. However, if I aim the remote at the Zenith's screen, it will bounce back and hit the VCR. The Zenith logs about two hours use per week, and has never given any trouble.

This picture was taken in 2000, and I've since ditched the ugly 80s phone for something more period correct, along with the previous owners black miniblinds.

FWIW, the house itself was built in 1927.

kc8adu
06-08-2003, 10:03 AM
what are those white triangular things on the ceiling?

Rob
06-08-2003, 10:36 AM
kc, That bedroom is equipped with airbags! Builders hide them better now with modern costruction materials. :) Well maybe they're corner bass traps.

Seriously, Carmine I like the color and that wall lamp is cool. That looks like a nice big bedroom. I wish I had space like that.

Rob

Charlie
06-08-2003, 12:37 PM
Carmine,

You set that up really nice! Dig that big-ass dresser with round mirror! :cool: You did all this work yourself (paint, lights, etc)? Hmmm.... I have a thought for those triangles, but perhaps I won't post it here. :o

Your Zenith definately feels at home!

Steve D.
06-08-2003, 01:59 PM
Hey Charlie,
Interesting unspoken idea. Certainly no "reflection" on you.

Tony V
06-08-2003, 02:20 PM
Hey Carmine,
Cool bedroom! I'm in the process of doing the same thing through out my place. With all the vintage tv's and radios i have...that in the fact that my house is old too...i figured it was better going with vintage themed room's as i'm not parting with my collection. What better way to display and use your collection than having the rooms look the way they did when this stuff came out. I even have my kitchen done retro with the round top refridgerator and all. I know this isnt for everbody but it works for me. Do you have the rest of your rooms done this way or did you just stick to the bedroom? Good job!
Tony

Charlie
06-08-2003, 03:54 PM
Right on, Steve D! :naughty:

Carmine
06-08-2003, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the compliments on the bedroom.

RE: White triangles.

This style of house is known as "1 1/2 story". It's not a true bunglow, because the upstairs is not a finished attic (has a bath and another bedroom). However, much like a finished attic, the outer walls are knee walls (5'). A large peak with a window at the front creates a full height ceiling in one area, and thus triangles in the corner....and yes as Charlie suggested, I've had similar ideas for the triangles... ala vintage projection TV.

Kamakiri
06-08-2003, 07:54 PM
Let me know when you'd like a Zenith black dial console, I've got one that could be yours :)

wiseguy
06-08-2003, 08:03 PM
COOL..,what does the bathroom look like?..
:)
the wiseguy

Carmine
06-30-2003, 07:54 PM
Ok, here are a few more of my sets. I'll start with a better picture of the eyeball Zenith...

(BTW, the hum bars in all photos are from the digital camera. How do you guys get screen shots without the dark lines???)

Carmine
06-30-2003, 08:07 PM
Got this one from Captain Moody.

It sits in my yet-to-be-finished dining room. I don't really intend to keep it here, but 50% of the house is just rough drywall, so for now anything goes!