View Full Version : Neat stuff found beside the road.

Eric H
05-27-2006, 11:15 PM
I saw half a beat up old suitcase lying next to the road last weekend, I could see it was full of vintage picture slides so I jumped out of the car and grabbed it!

Some of the first slides I looked at were Christmas pictures and had old TV's in them!

Here's a couple good ones, looks like Pop got a new shotgun for Christmas while some lucky lady got a new clothes hamper! :lmao:

The first one is one of those green 16" Philco's from around 1950 or so, can't tell what the other one is but the rabbit ears have seen better days.

Eric H
05-27-2006, 11:21 PM
I think this one is a Motorola?

kx250rider
05-27-2006, 11:41 PM
Not sure, but that 16" console with the bad rabbit ears COULD be my usernamesake; a Kaye-Halbert. They had countless cabinet styles, and that looks like the classic 242 chassis in a cheap cabinet. Could also be something else, but it sure looks like one!

Charles

Sandy G
05-28-2006, 07:21 AM
Oh, Dear God, check out that dress...<grin>

wajobu
05-28-2006, 08:07 AM
I like the "look" on the gentleman's face in the first slide...with the shot-gun....gittin' ready to git some mornin' vittles!

Always interesting what one finds on the side of the road...in the 1960s I found a pile of 1940s, 50s and 60s baseball cards...kept them for years...worth a fortune today...but no one in my family will 'fess-up about where they are!...probably long since in a land-fill during one of my parents' house purges! :puke:

Sandy G
05-28-2006, 08:41 AM
Naw, the dude w/the shotgun reminds me of Jack Nicholson, in a way...Fixin' to blow the TV, & everybody else away...Ain't that a pleasant thought for a nice Sunday morning ?!? <grin>

cosmicdust
05-28-2006, 09:24 AM
Hiya,

Hiya,

I pointed the Christmas tree out to me wife and said it looks bad. She said that is not possible for all Christmas trees look beautiful.

The Christmas tree looks kind of beaten up though don't you think? Looks more like a giant weed! It's definitely not a fir; me thinks it's a wild cedar.

The lady looks absolutely regal, like my Auntie Pat who was from that era. She passed away just a few years ago.

Thankee :-)
cosmicdust

andy
05-28-2006, 11:10 AM

intotubes
05-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Man, the color in those old photos are outstanding. No fade at all. Must be Kodak. :)

luvvinvinyl
05-28-2006, 02:08 PM
That tree is a balsam, a species which has fallen out of favour, in many areas. I kind'a like 'em.

Sandy, you know your mother had a dress JUST like that. And you thought she looked beautiful in it.

Army
05-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Those pictures take me back to childhood, could have been our house back in the early sixties :yes:

The guy in the first frame looks pretty happy. Looks like he got a Remmington model 48 semi-auto shotgun, heck of fast cycling gun. I own a 20 and 12 gauge. The twenty was my fathers, may fond memories of hunting together! :thmbsp:

Thanks for sharing those Eric :cool:

Eric H
05-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Hiya,

Hiya,

I pointed the Christmas tree out to me wife and said it looks bad. She said that is not possible for all Christmas trees look beautiful.

The Christmas tree looks kind of beaten up though don't you think? Looks more like a giant weed! It's definitely not a fir; me thinks it's a wild cedar.

The lady looks absolutely regal, like my Auntie Pat who was from that era. She passed away just a few years ago.

cosmicdust

I hadn't noticed the tree, it's a bit rough isn't it! :yes:

Some members of this family must have been fairly well heeled, there are pics of Hawaii, Disneyland and Grants Farm in St. Louis, Missouri.
There's also a picture of Hollywood park in Inglewood and The Dunes in Vegas.

Speaking of elegant, this lady is interesting, she looks like a movie star or Mrs Cleaver.

wa2ise
05-28-2006, 04:06 PM
http://www.geocities.com/wa2ise/radios/familyalbum-phtv.jpg

This was Christmas 1951 at my grandma's house. Tree looks quite similar to the one at the top of this thread. Grandma lived about 20 miles north of New York City, so this look may have been the standard for Christmas trees nationwide back then. No tinsel on Grandma's, that stuff had a habit of shorting out the lights. The vertical decorations you do see are just painted and twisted strips of metal. As these don't bend or drape, they are not likely to short the lights.

Note the Philco TV to the left.

In the pictures at the top of this thread, the TV looks like a bakelite Admiral console.

Posting question: I used this picture of Grandma's tree in an older Audiokarma thread, and the server won't let me attach/upload it again. Herre I linked to my own web page to get it to show here. That would indicate that there is some way to "attach" the old uploaded image in another thread, but it's not at all obvious as to how to do that. I can understand the server operators not wanting duplicate image files eating up too much storage space, but there should be some way to refer to the old image in a new thread.

TV Engineer
05-29-2006, 06:09 AM
The set with the bent rabbit ears is a low end RCA, 2T51 or similar model no.

cosmicdust
05-29-2006, 09:15 AM
Hiya,

All these pictures remind me so much of my Auntie Pat; she passed 3 years ago at my place. A strong, handsome woman she was. She was 84. She had a RV Campground she managed with her husband (who passed before her) in beautiful Maine. She sold that and moved to Washington DC. She was the Executive Vice-President for The Girl Scouts of America before she retired.

Her last few years were spent with us. She lived a good life and was a great fan of Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis.

When she died my wife (my wife's Father was Auntie Pat's younger brother) was right beside her holding her hands. I was there too. She died like a happy lark in a beautiful room at my place. This room we now call: The Aunty Pat Room :-)

cosmicdust.

Phil Nelson
05-29-2006, 11:02 AM
There are zillions of tree farms in this state, and, yes, a lot of trees are pruned so they look like a child's drawing of a Christmas tree.

Grainger49
05-29-2006, 11:09 AM
You think the lady of the house will have a use for the shotgun after receiving a clothes hamper???

cosmicdust
05-29-2006, 11:23 AM
Hehheheheh Grainger, that's funny .......

wa2ise
05-29-2006, 04:25 PM
You think the lady of the house will have a use for the shotgun after receiving a clothes hamper???

Hopefully she also got some fun presents as well.....