View Full Version : RCA's CT100 the ancester of RCA's CED videodisc

wa2ise
05-23-2006, 04:22 PM
Found a copy of RCA's "Communicate" magazine from sept/oct 1981, with an "advertisment" for videodisc. "Next revolution in the science of home entertainment by the same company that brought you the last one". See the partial picture of a CT100 set at the upper left corner morphing into a videodisc player.

Next image is the cover of an internal semimonthly RCA Labs magazine from nov/dec 1981 suggesting that employees buy a videodisc player for Xmas. Nothing else about videodisc in this magazine, but I was a new employee pictured inside.

Steve D.
05-23-2006, 06:53 PM
I owned one of the last CED models RCA produced. I guess it was around 1984. There were several stores in So. Ca. that sold CED discs exclusively. This was RCA's last attempt to market an American designed & built video disc system before GE bought the company and discontinued CED. CED movie discs were produced for several more years after player production ceased. Laser discs would have killed the CED in any case. Of course DVD ended Laser and so it goes...

Here is a great site devoted to CED history:

CED Magic - The RCA SelectaVision VideoDisc Web Site
Address:http://www.cedmagic.com/selectavision.html

Steve D.