View Full Version : Trans-Oceanic Royal 7000!

centaurus3200
05-07-2006, 01:39 PM
hi all,

i'm mainly a vintage audiophile, but i found a pretty nice Royal 7000 for $40 at a vintage radio swap meet. it's an ealier model, probably 1968 or so. I've ALWAYS wanted one of these babies!

everything is intact, including the unopened earpiece. it was part of someone's collection. his cat apparently liked it too and took a leak on it! damage is really no big deal, a little bubbling on the aluminum at the top of the case around the handle. but, you know collectors, he just couldn't stand to look at it. so, he sold it to me at a very fair price.

my question to you is that everything seems to work well. AM and FM reception is awesome. i do get some stations on the SW bands, but not a bunch like i was hoping for. we do live in a bit of a canyon in northern California. is this most likely the problem? or are there just not as many SW stations as there used to be?

I'm a radio neophyte. does aligning improve reception or just aligns the dial to match the stations?

for reference, AM and FM play clearly and loudly with not static.

thanks,
Robby

Fisherdude
05-07-2006, 08:49 PM
$40 isn't a very fair price, it's a steal! I wouldn't mind having one of those myself.

As far as living in a canyon, yes, that will definitely hurt your reception. Plus, summer isn't as good as winter, and we're just coming out of the bottom of the 11-year sunspot cycle, when shortwave propogation is at its weakest.

On the other hand, maybe you're just not listening to the right frequencies at the right time.

Try 5.9-6.2 MHz at night, 9.5-10 and 11.5-12 in the evening or later at night, and around 15-15.5 during the day. Those are roughly where you should look, and you should definitely find lots of stations. Plus, you could try adding a short (15' or so) piece of wire to the external antenna connection.

And, pictures are always welcome!

PS, yes, alignment will help performance, it the set needs it. I wouldn't necessarily assume that it does.

glen65
05-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Excellent unit,
I just have to wonder if the cat still lives after pissing all over
his radio.

stereofisher
05-10-2006, 08:39 PM
hi all,

i'm mainly a vintage audiophile, but i found a pretty nice Royal 7000 for $40 at a vintage radio swap meet. it's an ealier model, probably 1968 or so. I've ALWAYS wanted one of these babies!

everything is intact, including the unopened earpiece. it was part of someone's collection. his cat apparently liked it too and took a leak on it! damage is really no big deal, a little bubbling on the aluminum at the top of the case around the handle. but, you know collectors, he just couldn't stand to look at it. so, he sold it to me at a very fair price.

my question to you is that everything seems to work well. AM and FM reception is awesome. i do get some stations on the SW bands, but not a bunch like i was hoping for. we do live in a bit of a canyon in northern California. is this most likely the problem? or are there just not as many SW stations as there used to be?

I'm a radio neophyte. does aligning improve reception or just aligns the dial to match the stations?

for reference, AM and FM play clearly and loudly with not static.

thanks,
Robby

:worthless Would love to see a pict....Eric

centaurus3200
05-13-2006, 09:53 PM
well.... if you insist ;-)

:worthless Would love to see a pict....Eric