View Full Version : Solaris

old_tv_nut
05-05-2006, 09:35 PM
Just saw the George Clooney movie version (recorded off Dish) and liked it enough to sit through - noted in credits it's based on story by Stanislaw Lem. Haven't read any of his stuff in years, now wondering:

1) is it very true to the book?
2) is the Russian version of the movie worth buying? ($35.99 new at Amazon)?

dr*audio
05-05-2006, 09:46 PM
I read the book first then saw the George Clooney movie. I liked the movie but it leaves out alot of cool stuff in the book. I don't want to spoil it for you, lets just say that with CGI they could have done alot of the things that happen in the book. I highly recommend the book. I heard the Russian movie is very good, haven't seen it, I plan to. I can't say much more without spoiling it, other than there's a very good and interesting reason these people are there studying the planet and all of it was left out in the movie.

bjarmson
05-26-2006, 11:24 PM
The Russian version is a lot different than the Clooney version (which basically makes it into a love story, albeit a weird one). It's probably closer to the book (which I read a long time ago, and have an incomplete memory of), in that it reflects a lot of the book's mysterious, incomprehensible nature. I'd recommend that you check your local library system or eclectic video store for a copy, before paying $40 for it. It's not eveybody's cup of tea.

markthefixer
05-26-2006, 11:58 PM
You don't have to BUY it, Netflix has it, I just checked...
The Russian version, 1972;

" Director Andrei Tarkovsky's science fiction cult classic presents an uncompromisingly unique and poetic meditation on space travel and its physical and existential ramifications. Scientist Kris Kelvin travels to the mysterious planet Solaris to investigate the failure of an earlier mission. When his long-dead wife appears on the space station, he realizes that the planet has the power to perceive human desires and make them a reality."

You can check out a few reviews of it too, on Netflix..

Their cheapest plan is 9.99 a month, one dvd at a time, as fast as you can send them back and get new ones...

dr*audio
05-27-2006, 08:16 AM
I pickup up the Russian version at the library last week and watched it. I liked it alot better than the George Clooney movie. It is much truer to the book. It is slow moving in parts, though. There are a couple sections I would have cut out altogether, or shortened. All in all, a great film, and the woman who plays the girlfriend is hot!

Holst
05-31-2006, 10:15 AM
I really liked the Clooney movie but inspired by you guys I just ordered the Ruskie version. Thanks for the tip!

sorenj07
06-01-2006, 03:30 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised, I saw this movie and it was kind of weird but very thought-provoking and (I thought) well-paced, but I expected people to hate on it for not being upfront. I basically share y'alls opinions but I haven't seen the original Russian movie or read the book.

Holst
06-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Watched the Ruskie version Saturday. I decided to watch it in Russian with English subtitles. I got the Rusicico version and the subtitles passed by too fquickly in spot's, so I will go for the English dub with the wife this weekend.
The two versions we similar, I thought. A lot of the same shot's. The Russian version spelled things out with greater care.
The actress who played Hari was outstanding and the Russian version was at times, spookier. Right now I think the new version is better, but I have a hankering to see some of Tarkovski's non-scifi flick's. I have a feeling I will like them. He said Solaris was the least favorite of his own films.

I've ordered the book now. It's probably where I should have started.