View Full Version : More improper set noises

Richard D
04-28-2006, 08:22 PM
I put a no name 20" flat face throw away set I received as a gift in my den/workshop. After a couple of months the horizontal frequency whistle gets so bad I have to turn it off. Other times if I put a flat blade screwdriver under the front right corner and twist the chassis it almost stops. Probably a flyback with loose laminations. I am sure it will last thirty years like my Zenith. Or maybe 30 days. I use it mostly for background noise when working on the bench or computer.

Carmine
04-28-2006, 09:21 PM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Richard D
04-28-2006, 09:31 PM
I DID NOT BUY THE SET. MY four neices age 7 to 13 chipped in and bought it for me. I looked again and it's worse than I thought. Beside the whine and poor picture the name on the set is HAIER. I guess the set made in China tried to invent a european sounding name.

Carmine
04-28-2006, 09:37 PM
The smilies are laughing with you, not at!

Beware... "Haier" makes fridges too. At least a 20" set won't require a dolly to get to the curb!

kx250rider
04-29-2006, 01:55 AM
I DID NOT BUY THE SET. MY four neices age 7 to 13 chipped in and bought it for me. I looked again and it's worse than I thought. Beside the whine and poor picture the name on the set is HAIER. I guess the set made in China tried to invent a european sounding name.

Well, it's the thought that counts... Whether a Haier TV set, a handmade card, or a 5-carat diamond, the value is the same in this case :banana:

Charles

larschr
04-29-2006, 02:01 AM
My mother had the same problem with her 28" Finlux. I removed the 2nd anode lead and reattached it, and the problem was gone.

Geoff Bourquin
05-03-2006, 04:34 PM
I've seen some of the "no name" sets do that, and the problem was a coil in the horizontal circuit (linearity coil?). The top of the core is glued on and if the glue cracks the top of the core just sits there like a little hat and squeels its head off. If the set is tipped, the loose core might fall off. You could glue it back on and it should work OK. I like JBweld for something like that. (Also have seen that on a couple 52 inch RCA HD projection tv)

compucat
05-04-2006, 07:10 AM
I think Haier is the latest made in China brand. Wal-Mart has just put their window air conditioners on the shelves and they all bear that name. I guess they had to come up with something else once everyone found out that Apex was junk.

Sandy G
05-04-2006, 07:30 AM
I read somewhere Haier was the largest maker of certain "white goods"-fridges, window A/Cs, etc in China, & they were looking to aggressively expand into America...EVERYBODY wants to "Play the Palace"...

OvenMaster
05-04-2006, 08:09 AM
I've seen this Haier stuff especially in Wally World. Cheaper than anything else, for TVs, bar fridges, microwaves, etc, but just remember, you get what you pay for.
Tom

compucat
05-04-2006, 10:48 AM
The plastic parts on the Haier air conditioners feel really soft and flimsy. I have a Goldstar window unit that is well made and several years old - still running. Also, a Goldstar microwave from 1991 that has only needed a fuse and a magnetron tube in 15 years of regular use.

Korea is coming along. China has a long way to go except for Tecsun made radios which are actually quite good.

Why is quality so elusive today?

cabinover
05-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Because nobody wants to pay for it....everyone wants it NOW and CHEAP.

bgadow
05-04-2006, 01:10 PM
yep, that says it. China could make as good a quality as Japan but nobody wants to pay for it so it's all junk-junk-junk. The price of a new 19" color tv should probably be over $500, maybe closer to a thousand, when compared to the price of other things. (I could use one of those inflation adjustment calculators to find out) If they were hand made entirely in the US they would have to be to pay for the labor. But instead of the price going up lots of electronics & appliances have stayed constant or gone down in price since the sixties. Check out the prices on basic washing machines-they have barely moved at all in decades.

blue_lateral
05-04-2006, 01:27 PM
I have heard not to use JB weld on inductors because it contains ferrous metal. I dont know for sure if this is true. I might use a different kind of epoxy unless I knew for sure. YMMV.

John