View Full Version : Favorite Monster movies...

Mr Natural
04-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Some of my top ones were:

Rodan

Attack of the Giant Crab Monsters

The Brain from Planet Aros

retrokeeper
04-14-2006, 12:03 PM
Any movie with effects by the greatest special effects artist,the grandfather of stop-motion,Ray Harryhausen.You know the titles...."Jason and the Argonauts","Valley of Gwangi",any of the Voyage of Sinbad movies!! :yes: :thmbsp: Rob
p.s....Ray was in Seattle for a lecture a couple of weeks back,and I missed it :sigh: Wish I could have been there,but they sold out on the tickets :thumbsdn: , could have had him sign my 5 Laserdisc movies I have by him....bummmer,and I could have got his book...super bummmer....and he could have signed it.......ultimate bummmer!!

Jim Eck
04-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Forbiden Planet
any of the Bela Lugosi movies
Boris Karloff as Frankenstein

Don't really care for the new hack em up gore movies. they aren't the same as the old classic monster movies.

Almost forgot The Attack of the Killer Tomaotes!

:thmbsp:

Jim

dr*audio
04-14-2006, 12:40 PM
The original "King Kong."
The original "Dracula."

RussinOhio
04-14-2006, 01:26 PM
Original Frankenstien
ALL the old Godzilla movies (The cheesier the better!)
Alien
Aliens
Original King Kong
New King Kong
Pumkinhead
Night Of The Living dead (original, 1968)

...there's some more I'm not thinking of at the moment.

Russ

jeffw
04-14-2006, 01:34 PM
I getting the willies just thinking about "The Creature From The Black Lagoon".
B&W,a swamp,& those long fingers!

Andyman
04-14-2006, 02:41 PM
"Fiend without a Face" was pretty kool.
Invisible alien brains that jumped up and sucked your brain out!!

Or "The Tingler" w/ Vincent Price and the backbone crushing creature that feeds on fear.

You want cheesy, try the gi-ants in "Them".

Damn, I love them old monster movies

junkaudio
04-14-2006, 03:07 PM
hope somebody understands me: the new king kong was mindblowing for
me :thmbsp:

junkaudio
04-14-2006, 03:30 PM
one of my favorite is also monster of the blue logoon in 3d!! :banana:

Sandy G
04-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Anyone remember "The Leech Woman" ? Yeah, "Night of the Living Dead" was pretty good...I also liked the 1979 "Dawn of the Dead"-the one that was set in the shopping mall

junkaudio
04-14-2006, 04:09 PM
night of the living dead scares me to the bone :thmbsp:

Eddiemunster
04-14-2006, 10:20 PM
MONSTER ISLAND-greatest monster orgy of all time...

Bogframe
04-19-2006, 09:11 AM
Dracula (Bela Lugosi)
Frankenstein (Boris Karloff)
Son of Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman
Invisible Man
King Kong
Son of Kong
Mighty Joe Young
Mad Monster Party

Shain
04-19-2006, 09:55 AM
When I was a kid, a local TV station always had a Sat night (10:00PM) scarey movie.

There was a guy (Dr Sanguinary) that dresed up in a goolly (sp) costume, with his face painted white, and played all the scarey horror stuff they could find. Played all of those listed above, and about everything made.

One of the first I can remember (besides Frankestein) was "10,000 Leagues Under The Sea". (or something like that). I think it was a Jules Verne book??
It was a 50s movie that featured a 1800s style submarine and a under sea monster that tried to eat the sub. COOL factor all the way :banana:

One of the first I heard on HT 5 channel was Jurassik Park. Great audio !

WhiskeyRebel
04-19-2006, 11:30 AM
late 70s or early 80's CBS movie-of-the-week: Dark Night of the Scarecrow. I must have been in 6th grade when it came on and it was all we talked about in school the following Monday.

Mr Natural
04-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Living in NY as a kid, we had each weekend, Chiller Theatre (WPIX-ch11), which the intro used to scare me to death with scenes from various monster movies, like Plan9 and She Devils.
Later on, Zacherlie used to host it, at night, after his afternoon kids show with cartoons.
He also did a stint on WNEW-FM.....once saw him open for the Grateful Dead on Haloween!

thedelihaus
04-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Steve guttenburg in "Don't Tell Her It's Me".

Whoopie Goldberg in "Sister Act" and "Sister Act 2".

Anything with rosie O'Donnell.

All the "Look who's Talking" movies.

Frightening!

Sandy G
04-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Amen on ANYTHING w/that horrid Rosie O'Devil.....

bordeno
04-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Monster's Ball :smoke:

2DualsNotEnough
04-19-2006, 01:48 PM
"Destroy All Monsters"!Bright,vivid 60's Japanese color,more monsters than you can shake a Panzer Tank at,and my boy,Godzilla.
Mr. Pibb+Redvines=Crazy Delicious!!!!!!!! :thmbsp:
Jimmy

SPL db
04-19-2006, 02:01 PM
John Carpenter's remake of "The Thing" :thmbsp:

Scott

NewYorkView
04-26-2006, 09:58 PM
Living in NY as a kid, we had each weekend, Chiller Theatre (WPIX-ch11), which the intro used to scare me to death with scenes from various monster movies, like Plan9 and She Devils.
Later on, Zacherlie used to host it, at night, after his afternoon kids show with cartoons.
He also did a stint on WNEW-FM.....once saw him open for the Grateful Dead on Haloween!

Man, do I remember those days. :sigh:

NewYorkView
04-26-2006, 10:01 PM
The original "Tales from the Crypt" movie. A classic! :yes:

Bogframe
04-27-2006, 08:34 AM
Add me to those who shivered to Chiller Theater! Remember that 6-fingered hand coming out of the swamp? Chiiiiillllllllerrrrrrrrrrrr!

Sbarber
05-05-2006, 03:05 PM
Mine are all from the atom-age fifties and include "20 Million Miles to Earth", "X the Unknown", "The Monolith Monsters", "The Giant Behemoth", "Kronos", "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms", and "Caltiki, The Immortal Monster". I also really enjoyed "The Black Scorpion".

Cleve
05-05-2006, 03:36 PM
Lots of favorites - "Rodan" was probably the first Japanese giant monster movie I saw as a kid - maybe 5 or 6 when I first saw it. When a trio of police are wading through the flooded mine shaft - tethered together by a rope - and one of them is seized by an (unseen) giant insect larvae, dragging him and the others to a horrible off-screen doom - that was one of the scariest things my young eyes had ever seen.

Another awesome scene - when the mine engineer ends up separated from the others in the rescue party - he's trapped in a huge cavern filled with dozens of the giant carnivorous insects. Then the Rodan hatches from an egg - and the once terrifying monster insects are instantly reduced in stature to merely tasty grubs, which the hatchling hungrily devours - the contrast between the monsters in size and menace is amazing - and I don't think the emotional effect has ever been duplicated before or since this film was released.

DanTana
05-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Predator!!!

Eric H
05-05-2006, 10:00 PM
The Blob, great 50's atmosphere.
Eegah, absolutely horrible in a good way, watch the MST3K version. :yes:

Sandy G
05-05-2006, 10:06 PM
There was some dreadful movie I remember catching just a snatch of when I was a tadpole..it had something to do w/these things that looked like horseshoe crabs, that would attach themselves to yr back, & w/this HORRIBLE squishing sound, would suck all the life out of you. They COULD be pulled off right at first, as some guy did to this girl-one had just landed on her-they flew, too- but that's about all I remember about it.The noise they made was sorta like the noise you make when swirling water around in yr mouth, when rinsing yr teeth...

Debassige
05-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Tarantula (1955)
The Thing from Another World (1951)
Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) / Revenge of the Creature (1955) / The Creature Walks Among Us (1956)

for some reason B&W is scarier than color :scratch2:

Toasted Almond
05-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Chiller Theater was where it was at. Jon Zacherlie was (probably still IS) the real deal. Weird to the gills. Good looking too!

I was generally not afraid of anything I knew I could outrun. When I was scared, smoke came off those sneakers. The Creature? I could crawl faster. Frankenstein? Not a chance of touching this kid. The Mummy? I'd run backwards two steps ahead of him and shoot rubber bands in his face.

I was scared shit of...

The Wolfman
Bela
The Thing (James Arness)
Rodan (The parts Cleve mentioned are burned into my head forever. Goro was the guy who got separated from the rest of the guys and saw the grubs getting eaten.)
Godzilla
Little girls who can spin their heads around 180 degrees. There's something really wrong about that.

Sbarber
05-06-2006, 04:42 AM
Tarantula (1955)
The Thing from Another World (1951)
Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) / Revenge of the Creature (1955) / The Creature Walks Among Us (1956)

for some reason B&W is scarier than color :scratch2:
I like these also, especially "The Thing From Another World", and "The Creature Walks Among Us". Jeff Morrow, who was in "The Creature Walks Among Us", "Kronos", and another one of my favs, "This Island Earth" was one of my favorite B movie actors. Also loved Mara Corday, who was featured in "Tarantula", and "The Black Scorpion". If no one has seen "The Black Scorpion", give it a shot. While it's low budget shows through at times, it still has some eyepopping stop motion effects supervised by Willis O'Brien. Watch for the seen where the guy gets pulled off off a telephone pole by one of the giant scorpians. Scared me to death when I was a kid, and still a potent seen. Also, the underground sequence is good, with a variety of giant creatures. Great sci-fi fun from the fifties!

Sbarber
05-06-2006, 04:46 AM
Pardon some of my bad spelling in the above post. It was 5:30AM, and I was getting ready for work!

RussinOhio
05-06-2006, 07:09 AM
I like these also, especially "The Thing From Another World", and "The Creature Walks Among Us". Jeff Morrow, who was in "The Creature Walks Among Us", "Kronos", and another one of my favs, "This Island Earth" was one of my favorite B movie actors. Also loved Mara Corday, who was featured in "Tarantula", and "The Black Scorpion". If no one has seen "The Black Scorpion", give it a shot. While it's low budget shows through at times, it still has some eyepopping stop motion effects supervised by Willis O'Brien. Watch for the seen where the guy gets pulled off off a telephone pole by one of the giant scorpians. Scared me to death when I was a kid, and still a potent seen. Also, the underground sequence is good, with a variety of giant creatures. Great sci-fi fun from the fifties!

Oh yeah! "Black Scorpion"....freaked me out as a little kid. The scene where the guy gets pulled off the telephone pole by the giant scorpion is STILL cool & creepy to watch! I love that old classic. I can never think about a scorpion without thinking of that movie.

Russ

Sbarber
05-07-2006, 04:58 AM
Yeah, one of my favs. Borders, at my local mall, has "The Black Scorpion" reissued on DVD. I own this and many of these other movies discussed here on DVD. Ebay is also a great source for these films. It's awesome having these childhood memories permanently preserved on DVD!

Jim Eck
05-07-2006, 09:13 AM
How about Elvira, The Mistress of the Dark.

We had a local Saturday night horror show that showed a lot of the great old movies, put on by one of the local siding companies, The Acre Creature Feature.

As a kid it wasn't really a monster movie but about the scairiest movie I remember was Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds. I hide under a blanket for a lot of that movie.

Jim

JerryM
05-08-2006, 03:20 PM
One of greatest titled movies ever--the 1958 classic, I Married a Monster From Outer Space.

I remember seeing a double feature of that with The Blob. Must have been 6 years old, and I was scared out of my wits.

Sbarber
05-09-2006, 08:15 AM
One of greatest titled movies ever--the 1958 classic, I Married a Monster From Outer Space.

I remember seeing a double feature of that with The Blob. Must have been 6 years old, and I was scared out of my wits.
Oh yeah, how could I forget that classic! Tom Tryon as an alien, great John P. Fulton disintegrating ray effects and awesome alien creature make-up make "I Married a Monster From Outer Space" a classic '50's sci-fi movie. Speaking of effects by John P. Fulton, has ayone seen another '50's classic that he worked on called "The Colossus Of New York"?

holmesuser01
05-09-2006, 05:11 PM
I recently rented all of the Hammer Corporation remakes of the classic horror films. They are all really fun to watch. "Horror Of Dracula" (1958) scared me to death when I saw it in 1964 at a drive-in. It all came back to me when I saw the DVD's, which, by the way, looked fantastic, except for the first theatrical reel of Horror of Dracula. From reel 2 on, it was sharp as a tack!

Grainger49
05-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Does Forbidden Planet count?????

Sandy G
05-09-2006, 05:45 PM
I remember the 1st horror flick I saw was some turkey-"The Evil of Frankenstein"- or something. Believe it was 1964, I would have been 7. Don't remember being scared-of course, my mommy & my daddy were on either sides of me...no bad ol' monster would have DARED tried to get me !!! <grin>

Sbarber
05-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Does Forbidden Planet count?????
You bet! Academy award nominated for "Best Special Effects" in 1956 and lost out to "The Ten Commandments". Great sci-fi! I love the scene where the ship creates it's own eclipse with Altair 4 at the beginning of the movie. Also love the tour of the technical wonders left by the long gone Krell.

Jim Eck
05-10-2006, 04:43 AM
You bet! Academy award nominated for "Best Special Effects" in 1956 and lost out to "The Ten Commandments". Great sci-fi! I love the scene where the ship creates it's own eclipse with Altair 4 at the beginning of the movie. Also love the tour of the technical wonders left by the long gone Krell.

Leslie Neilsen, Robbie the Robot, James Drury and Anne Francis (Hottie) all went on to further their careers, great movie!

Jim

Sbarber
05-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Leslie Neilsen, Robbie the Robot, James Drury and Anne Francis (Hottie) all went on to further their careers, great movie!

Jim
Yeah Jim. Wasn't Anne Francis gorgeous? Love the outfit she wore in that movie.

Grainger49
05-10-2006, 12:44 PM

What, no mention of Walter Pidgeon and Earl Holoman (Police Woman)?

Holoman is the cook!

Yeah, I loved that movie. I saw it when it was first out when I was a kid. Warped me for life!

Jim Eck
05-10-2006, 03:25 PM
What, no mention of Walter Pidgeon and Earl Holoman (Police Woman)?

Holoman is the cook!

Yeah, I loved that movie. I saw it when it was first out when I was a kid. Warped me for life!

Didn't Robbie make him up some home brew?

Jim

Grainger49
05-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Kentuckey Burbon.

And no hang over!

That's not right!

Mr Natural
05-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Kentuckey Burbon.

And no hang over!

That's not right!
"And it's smoooth too!"

corporalcripp
05-15-2006, 06:15 PM
How could anyone forget this? Frank Gorshin was in it.About a bunch of amorous "teens" being set upon by aliens in the nightime.The aliens went up in smoke when a light was shined on them.
It Came From Outer Space-Richard Carlson as an astronomer who finds that aliens have taken identities of people.Turns out the aliens were only repairing their ship so they return home.Think it's from a Ray Bradbury story.
It Conquered The World-Think it's Roger Corman's work.About a giant turnip-looking alien that spits out bat-like creatures to....oh,just see it.
Monolith Monsters-nice twist onthe monster attacks Earth theme. Shaft shaped crystals from outer space grow to enormous size,crumble under their weight,start growing anew,crumble, crushing everything under them,repeat,..just add water-lot's of water.

Sandy G
05-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Anybody remember "The Green Slime" ? Or another green themed movie- Soylent Green ? The "Green Slime" monsters looked like big boogers, & went "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEE" all the time. Soylent Green was made about the time the first energy crisis hit, I always thought it was a bit preachy. Still, Edward G. Robinson & Charlton Heston were GREAT in it. I think Edward G. died right after it was made.

Cleve
05-15-2006, 06:52 PM
It Conquered The World-Think it's Roger Corman's work.About a giant turnip-looking alien that spits out bat-like creatures to....oh,just see it.

"And I'm Peter Graves!"

Toasted Almond
05-15-2006, 06:54 PM
"It Conquered the World" made it into a Zappa song called "Cheepnis" from the "Live at The Roxy and Elsewhere" album. Seems "The Maestro" enjoyed budget sci-fi flicks, the cheaper the better.

Sbarber
05-15-2006, 07:41 PM
How could anyone forget this? Frank Gorshin was in it.About a bunch of amorous "teens" being set upon by aliens in the nightime.The aliens went up in smoke when a light was shined on them.
It Came From Outer Space-Richard Carlson as an astronomer who finds that aliens have taken identities of people.Turns out the aliens were only repairing their ship so they return home.Think it's from a Ray Bradbury story.
Monolith Monsters-nice twist onthe monster attacks Earth theme. Shaft shaped crystals from outer space grow to enormous size,crumble under their weight,start growing anew,crumble, crushing everything under them,repeat,..just add water-lot's of water.
The first flick that you mention with Frank Gorshin was "Invasion of the Saucer Men". Hilarious movie! "It Came From Outer Space" was from a Bradbury story, and directed by the great Jack Arnold. He is the man that brougt you "Tarantula", "The Incredible Shrinking Man", and "Monster on the Campus" among others. Who didn't love the Corman cheapies, which have been mentioned thruout this thread, with one of my favs being "Not of This Earth". You are the only other person besides myself to mention "The Monolith Monsters" in this thread. A truly standout fifties sci-fi movie. As they grow they suck the silicates from everything around them. Grant Williams, who was also "The Incredible Shrinking Man", was great in this old flick. Good script and good special effects by Clifford Stine make this a true classic.

Mr Natural
05-16-2006, 06:21 PM
"It Conquered the World" made it into a Zappa song called "Cheepnis" from the "Live at The Roxy and Elsewhere" album. Seems "The Maestro" enjoyed budget sci-fi flicks, the cheaper the better.
I have been listening to that cut for the past several years, every alternate Thursday morning. A DJ on Stonybrook radio (90.1 WUSB) uses it as her intro. Hysterical!!! "Nooooo! Pull it baaaack!!"

That is cheepnis....and he's some more.......

Sandy G
05-16-2006, 06:57 PM
Anyone ever see the 1973 flick "Sisters"? It had Margot kidder, Charles Durning, & a bunch of unknowns in it. Wasn't too creepy a movie by itself, but the MUSIC...Aye Yi-Yi !! It was by the late master Bernard Herrmann, his last score, IIRC, & boy did he go out on a bang. The music alone will make you pull the covers up over yr head...

SPL db
05-17-2006, 12:19 AM
The original "Tales from the Crypt" movie. A classic! :yes:

Where's my cake, Bedelia? :D :thmbsp:

Scott

corporalcripp
05-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Jeff Morrow was in this stinker.Looked like a blown-up rubber chicken swooping thru the air,snatching airplanes,uh,let me stop for a bit,I'm laughing too hard.............
Invader From Mars
Love this one,even with clearly visible zippers on the backs of the Martian drones-and that head in the bubble,weird,man.
Island Of Lost Souls
This is the first film version of the HG Welles story,Island Of Dr. Moreau.Stayed true to the original story line.Had Bela Lugosi as the Sayer Of The Law character.
Freaks
Not really monsters but circus freaks who take revenge on the circus Beauty for taking advantage of her midget husband.
How come only two of us in this thread mentioned Monolith Monsters?
It Came From Beneath The Sea
R Harryhausen got cute in this one,he had only 6 arms on the giant octopus,anyone notice?

ManFromPorlock
05-17-2006, 08:41 PM
I can't remember the name (if I ever knew it -- saw it on TV) but for me the one greatest scene is in a Japanese monster movie where the monster, a giant turtle, is cornered by the army; it is doomed, until it pulls its legs into its shell, begins to rotate, turns into a flying saucer and flys off! :D

For dramatic chutzpa, I don't think that can possibly be topped.

Sbarber
05-18-2006, 05:13 AM
Jeff Morrow was in this stinker.Looked like a blown-up rubber chicken swooping thru the air,snatching airplanes,uh,let me stop for a bit,I'm laughing too hard.............
Invader From Mars
Love this one,even with clearly visible zippers on the backs of the Martian drones-and that head in the bubble,weird,man.
Island Of Lost Souls
This is the first film version of the HG Welles story,Island Of Dr. Moreau.Stayed true to the original story line.Had Bela Lugosi as the Sayer Of The Law character.
Freaks
Not really monsters but circus freaks who take revenge on the circus Beauty for taking advantage of her midget husband.
How come only two of us in this thread mentioned Monolith Monsters?
It Came From Beneath The Sea
R Harryhausen got cute in this one,he had only 6 arms on the giant octopus,anyone notice?
The Jeff Morrow stinker you mention is "The Giant Claw". I think Mara Corday was in that also. I remember reading somewhere that the actors had no idea what the monster looked like during filming. When they finally saw it they were horrified, and not in a good way.

Jim Eck
05-18-2006, 05:47 AM
Anybody remember Giant Robot? Very cheesy Monsters as well as cheesy robot.

Jim

noprayer
05-18-2006, 08:14 AM
This is my all time fav movie. The first time i saw it was at Northridge Mall and a local radio station used to have midnight movies there. After Dawn Of The Dead was over it was about 2:30 in the morning and they had the cheesy mall music playing as we were walking out. You just knew that there were zombies waiting for you around the corner!!! To this day i still get chills when i go in to a mall because of that experience! I think i was all of 12 years old at the time too.

corporalcripp
05-18-2006, 06:35 PM
This one kills me.An alien in a gorilla suit with diving helmet afixed with rabbit ear antennae! He's on Earth to finish the job of killing off the human race.In his cave hideaway are various "alien" devices,including a bubble making machine(!) and jacob's ladders.Godawful dialogue,acting,and even the legendary Elmer Bernstein contributes a clunky score.Hard to believe Ed Wood had nothing to do with this one.

pathologymd
06-04-2006, 07:17 PM
ManFromPorlock,

The amazing spinning/flying turtle is Gamera (or Gammera)! I just saw that movie on my box set of 50 sci-fi movies for 19.95! I was impressed that the movie actually had Bryan Donlevy (one Professor Quatermass) in it.

Bill

SoCal Sam
06-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Original Godzilla with Aaron Burr, "Blob" or "the Thing" with Steve McQueen (I think, memory is poor), Mothra, Calling All Monsters, Attack of the Gargantuas (??, the one with a Green Gargantua vs. a Brown Gargantua).

Cleve
06-04-2006, 10:01 PM
This one kills me.An alien in a gorilla suit with diving helmet afixed with rabbit ear antennae! He's on Earth to finish the job of killing off the human race.In his cave hideaway are various "alien" devices,including a bubble making machine(!) and jacob's ladders.Godawful dialogue,acting,and even the legendary Elmer Bernstein contributes a clunky score.Hard to believe Ed Wood had nothing to do with this one.

You should see the Mystery Science Theatre 3000 version of "Robot Monster". It was one of their funniest episodes ever.

Sandy G
06-04-2006, 10:01 PM
Yeah, "Mothra" was one I never could quite figger out-but I've never seen the whole enchilada from end-2-end. The little miniature Jap girls that were always singing or something-WTF was THAT all about ?!? And was Mothra evil or just kinda big & clumsy? Doncha just LOVE English badly dubbed into a Japanese movie where what they say & what their mouths are doing are nowhere near the same?

Dusty Chalk
06-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Alien -- I still can't watch it unless I am in a very specific mood (I.E. to be scared). The pinnacle of "atmosphere" and tension-building -- nothing even happens for like 40 minutes, and there's no blood for about half the movie.

If Alien was an allegory for struggling by one's self with a disease (I.E. cancer), then Aliens was an allegory for an epidemic (I.E. aids) -- I love the way the director seems to build the tension, and then just turns it into an action movie.

Getting old school, the one with the giant concrete statue...can't remember the name, three syllables, something like Daikugin...maybe something with a Z...that one creeped me out as a kid.

Sbarber
06-06-2006, 04:18 AM
Alien -- I still can't watch it unless I am in a very specific mood (I.E. to be scared). The pinnacle of "atmosphere" and tension-building -- nothing even happens for like 40 minutes, and there's no blood for about half the movie.

If Alien was an allegory for struggling by one's self with a disease (I.E. cancer), then Aliens was an allegory for an epidemic (I.E. aids) -- I love the way the director seems to build the tension, and then just turns it into an action movie.

Getting old school, the one with the giant concrete statue...can't remember the name, three syllables, something like Daikugin...maybe something with a Z...that one creeped me out as a kid.
I think the movie about the giant statue is called "Majin, the Monster of Terror". If I am not mistaken, this is a Japanese film set in ancient times. Someone here might be able to correct me if I am wrong.

Cleve
06-07-2006, 06:57 AM
Doncha just LOVE English badly dubbed into a Japanese movie where what they say & what their mouths are doing are nowhere near the same?

Thank goodness for DVDs. Usually, they'll include the subtitled, Japanese language version of the film, which I greatly prefer. Although some of the early 60's dubs weren't too bad, like in "Godzilla vs the Thing"

zachary1988
11-24-2006, 11:55 PM
I am trying to find out the name of a Japanese monster movie where there were two huge same looking monster, one was brown and the other a grayish color. The brown one was good and came from the mountains and the grayish was not so good and came from the sea. The brown attempted to convince the grayish monster not to be mean and destroy towns but couldn't do the convincing and both ended up fighting and in the ocean. Thanks in advance, Ed.

Cleve
11-25-2006, 08:33 AM
"War of the Gargantuas" starring Russ Tamblyn.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0060440/

zachary1988
11-25-2006, 11:42 PM
"War of the Gargantuas" starring Russ Tamblyn.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0060440/

Thanks for the quick answer!

onepixel
11-27-2006, 02:21 PM
lol...I love all those movies that have been previously mentioned! I watched a lot of them growing up. I partially watched the original Predator on the Spanish channel the other day. What other movie can you see two governors kick butt?

The original Alien with Sigourney Weaver is a classic and was scary fun too. Especially since I saw it on acid.

pmsummer
11-28-2006, 09:38 PM
The Golem
(Golem, wie er in die Welt kam, Der -1920)

http://www.cch.kcl.ac.uk/legacy/staff/wlm/golem.jpg

jimfet
12-06-2006, 10:40 AM
The first few John Holmes movies. Thank god for Seka.

Dude111
07-29-2022, 10:45 AM
I would say Gremlins is one of my favourite monster movies......

walterbeers
07-30-2022, 11:11 AM
When I was a kid, a local TV station always had a Sat night (10:00PM) scarey movie.

There was a guy (Dr Sanguinary) that dresed up in a goolly (sp) costume, with his face painted white, and played all the scarey horror stuff they could find. Played all of those listed above, and about everything made.

One of the first I can remember (besides Frankestein) was "10,000 Leagues Under The Sea". (or something like that). I think it was a Jules Verne book??
It was a 50s movie that featured a 1800s style submarine and a under sea monster that tried to eat the sub. COOL factor all the way :banana:

One of the first I heard on HT 5 channel was Jurassik Park. Great audio !

I remember watching Dr Sanguinary. Was neat staying up late and watching those old horror movies. He was a hoot. I am in Omaha, NE, and we had either a Halolight Sylvania, or after than a 19 inch table top Zenith.