View Full Version : How to finance your retirement

grayga
04-05-2006, 05:32 PM
IF this sells, I now know how I'm going to finance my retirement. I have the TV's and the glue - just need the glass top and the brass b*lls!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Unique-Coffee-Table-made-with-a-1949-Antique-Television_W0QQitemZ6269262639QQcategoryZ3638QQrdZ 1QQcmdZViewItem

BTW, I Googled "R.N. Rowe, artist"; There ain't none!

Post is dated April 4, maybe they meant to post it for April 1.

Sandy G
04-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Well, you didn't Google "R.N. Rowe, Bullchit Artiste"...Looks like they could have at least refinished the cabinet & restored the TV for that kinda money...Guess I'm just a dumb ol' Hillbilly who don't see the "artistic merit" in stuff like this. I see a MAYBE hunnert buck TV w/a $25 sheet of glass on top of it..

jtsjf
04-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Bwahahahahaha

Markus111
04-06-2006, 01:24 PM
That's a helluva deal for original art - signed and numbered. Iwonder if he meant $12,500? Boy, somebody better jump on this!!!!!! He might be the next Picasso!!

BridgedToMono
04-06-2006, 01:56 PM
ha! We've got the same Diane Arbus book on our coffee table!

It makes everything that much classier.

Jonathan
04-06-2006, 07:45 PM
I can't believe this seller is such a F****** IDIOT! Infact I e-mailed the seller with the following "kind" message:

You took a common 1949 RCA set which is usually lower in value compaired to the 630TS from 1946, put a piece if glass on it, call it a coffee table, and start the bid at $1500? What is wrong with you? Obviously, you never restored it electrically, never cleaned the inside of it, never changed one tube or replaced one capacitor. You just threw a piece of glass on it and you call it a coffee table. You even say you are a small furniture designer. Seems like you still need some more practice.

I'm a vintage TV collector and restorer. I buy vintage TVs, restore them electrically, and use them as a normal TV. They can produce a picture just as good, if not better, than most modern TVs. Being a collector, I don't buy them and fix them up because "entertainment memorabilla is hot", but because I love to work on vintage electronics, appreciate the design and technology of the TV circuits, and get an amazing feeling when I bring it back to life working perfectly.

What you need to do is set the opening bid at $20, remove the glass and sell it as a vintage TV. You'll get a lot of money for it because it quite desirable, since it's an RCA, and because people will fight over it. Setting the opening bid low makes the bidder feel like there is a good chance they will get it at a good price, but multiple bidders feel like that so they all bid on it. They want it and don't want to be a losing bidder, so everyone fight over it. I've done this myself and speak from experience.

What an idiot! It's a damn shame that the television has to have a piece of glass glued on it, because those sets usually produce a nice picture when restored. I know I'm a little out of hand with this, but this stuff just upsets me.

Jonathan

Justen
04-06-2006, 08:16 PM
No one ever went broke underestimating the taste (or stupidity) of the American public.

PT Barnum

southernguy
04-06-2006, 08:23 PM
What a Shame, If the tubes light up whats the screen supose to do, Im suprised this guy didn't throw in that it would look good around the christmas tree at christmas time :lmao:

nasadowsk
04-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Nice leaving the bussines end of the CRT exposed like that. Plus, you can 'plug it in and the tubes light up'

The guy's asking for a lawsuit if there's kids around and the HV (or even B+!) comes up, not to mention any caps pooping their crap out...

Fisher-Dave
04-06-2006, 11:31 PM
I'm no TV expert but it looks like it is vented on the top of the set,so that tells me the glass was not meant to be there to cover up the vent.Nice set to restore,without the glass top of course :smoke:

BridgedToMono
04-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Wow, three days now... http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65378

Adam
04-07-2006, 01:11 PM
At least the TV is still intact. It may eventually wind up with someone who will fix it. I went to the thrift store yesterday and saw an early 60s Zenith B&W console cabinet that had been gutted and turned into something with a swivel base inside. The cabinet is still in good condition, and the TV would have probably only needed a little work. It probably wound up in the trash, I wish when people did this they would at least try and sell the chassis and crt to someone who needs the parts. Anyway, if anybody needs one of these cabinets, I know where one is, I don't have the room myself to start keeping empty cabinets.

Dave S
04-07-2006, 11:25 PM
To each his own :sigh:

At least they used a common set. If anyone's nuts enought to invest in this piece of "art", they won't likely be deconstructing it to get back the TV. And hey, if this thing sells, I'm going to become an "artist" and make three or four of them the next day!

But isn't it a great thing this "artist" didn't decide to use, say, a pretty blue Andrea 1F5 as the base?

--Dave

Eric H
04-07-2006, 11:38 PM
I think what this table needs is a nice Coffee Carafe made from a dud 7JP4, or if your a really heavy Coffee drinker you could use a 10BP4.

The 21FJP22 would be used for parties :D

Carmine
04-08-2006, 07:02 AM
I think what this table needs is a nice Coffee Carafe made from a dud 7JP4, or if your a really heavy Coffee drinker you could use a 10BP4.

Except for the deadly phospher poisoning... Cool Idea!