View Full Version : Charly

denniswilson
04-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Just saw the movie recently on AMC. Also read the short story Flowers for Algernon in Jr. High. A heart wrenching Si-Fi story....Starring Cliff Robertson 1968..

Sandy G
04-04-2006, 12:19 PM
I remember reading "Flowers For Algernon" for summer reading prior to going to McCallie in summer '71...despite the fact I HATED summer reading...the NERVE of them gawdam people, anyway...that story has stayed w/me all these years. Maybe the McCallie people knew something I didn't, after all...

CortR
04-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Sci-fi Classic. When I saw it when it first came out I mooned and pined for Claire Bloom for at least a couple years.

tcdriver
04-04-2006, 08:50 PM
I never read the book or saw the movie, however, I do have the original soundtrack recording featuring music by Ravi Shankar. World Pacific WPS-21454. I will have to give it a spin. I have not played it in years.

Bogframe
04-26-2006, 07:18 AM
I've never seen the movie, but Flowers for Algernon is still a book that will bring a lump to my throat.

tcdriver
04-26-2006, 08:06 PM
Well, I dug out my Charly record, gave it a spin and understood why I had not played it in years. Not much substance in spite of the number of famous musicians. :boring:

OvenMaster
04-26-2006, 09:57 PM
I remember reading a condensed version of the story in 8th grade. Now, I wonder what medical advances we have today that could possibly make this "science fiction" story a reality that we aren't being told... yet. Food for thought.
Tom

Jim Eck
05-09-2006, 06:43 AM
Weren't the Lawnmower Man movies basically a take off of Charly? I remember reading Flowers for Algernon as a kid also, amazing the impact such a story can have on your life.

Not to hijack this thread but maybe start another thread, books you remember from child hood reading that impacted your life. Hmmmm.

Jim