View Full Version : Sony KV-1203 request

holmesuser01
03-17-2006, 12:22 PM
I rescued a Sony KV-1203 Trinitron yesterday at the dump. Not too sure why, but I thought it looked nice. Got it home, and it works! It is missing a few cosmetic pieces that I would like to find, namely:

The SONY name bezel that goes below the CRT on the front of the set. There are 2 holes in the space where mine goes making me think that there is a bezel with dowels on the back that goes here. It's not a big deal, but it would make the little set look complete.

I would also like to find the original-style VHF rabbit-ears antenna for this set. The Sony number for it is: Y-2201-611-0.

It was built in November of 1975. It appears to have been used by a person that used alot of perfume. When I turn it on, and it gets hot, I really smell the scent.

The only problem I found on it was a bad solder connection on the CRT board that caused the green drive to bounce in-and-out. Checking it with a dot-bar generator produces a beautiful sharp image.

I hope someone here has what I need, or can steer me to a junked KV-1203 that I can get for parts.

Thanks in advance!
Bruce McGee
Asheville, NC

kx250rider
03-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Just some good news: That SONY emblem is pretty universal, and doesn't have dowels. Not sure why those holes are there, but I've had to reglue many of those emblems. The correct VHF antenna is an AN-16, which is also common. If you don't find one locally to you, I could mail you one for $10 including Prio Mail. But ask at any shop, and I'm sure they'd give you a fist full of AN-16s that you could make one nice one out of. The rabbit ears and base come apart easily with screws. Same goes for the emblem... Probably can be pried off any junk Sony with that size emblem. I probably have that too, and if found, would throw it in with an AN-16.

Charles
motocrossKXrider@yahoo.com

holmesuser01
03-17-2006, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the heads-up on the antenna Charles. The emblem is another matter. I have another junk Sony here and the emblem is a bit larger than this one.

I sure hope something comes along. I'll be glad to pay $10 for your antenna.

Bruce McGee

larschr
03-18-2006, 08:28 AM
It appears to have been used by a person that used alot of perfume. When I turn it on, and it gets hot, I really smell the scent.

I have a (PAL) KV 1310 (was that the first Trinitron made?) and that smells of perfume too! I found mine on the dump too. If works fairly good; I canīt get the colors "perfect", there are some dark "shadows" at the left side of the screen and the coil on the back of the CRT is loose.

holmesuser01
03-18-2006, 09:57 AM
I found out by accident last night that I need a new VHF channel selector knob, too. This one has slots that engage with the channel number indicator, and has been apparently changed over the years. It refuses to indicate the right channels! Cant have that!

These were rather expensive sets in the beginning, were they not? I have several Sony's sitting around here from 13" with remote, to a 32" backbreaker that I have in my entertainment system. I've always thought that the older ones were built better than the newer ones, judging on the fact that I have never had the back off of several of my sets, while the 32" just got (another) power supply rebuild. Did I mention HEAVY!?

holmesuser01
03-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Kaye Halbert:

Please contact me privately. I've tried twice to PM you thru the forum.

Bruce

kx250rider
03-27-2006, 01:33 AM
GUILTY! I had made a mental note to find an AN-16 and check on the badge last week... then I got busy with some extra stuff last week and forgot. I'll find an AN16 and see if I can cough up a badge, but I may not have that VHF knob. I'll get back with you Tuesday evening after I go to West LA and see about the badge and knob. and THIS time, I made a written note! Sorry for the delay. Best, Charles

holmesuser01
04-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Charles, I got the antenna. Sure looks good on the set.

NOW: to find the SONY badge, and the correct VHF knob... until then, I have to guess the brand of the set, and guess what channel I'm watching. Oh the humanity.... :tears: