View Full Version : Got a Dumont "Sportsman"

jstout66
03-05-2006, 08:47 AM
portable at an "antique" mall the other day. It's a 17" portable in an all metal case. It's got a really neat 50's look to it. I'll try to get pictures posted later. I haven't fired it up yet. The tag on it said "needs serviced". Took the back off and saw it has a pretty well designed chassis. I'm pretty sure the code dates on the tubes are 1958. Most are "Wells Gardner" branded. Wasn't Emerson selling rebadged Dumonts at that time. I think I read somewhere that when Dumont "went under", the electronics devision was sold to Emerson in 1955 I think. It looks like it had been serviced in the not too far distant past tho. It's had the audio output transformer changed. I saw one repair that makes me nervous about plugging it in tho. It may be fine, but it has one of those early fusable strips coming off the power plug input. That strip is broken off and hanging there, and it has a breaker spliced into it, which is hanging freely in the chassis. Makes me nervous.... I liked the look of the set tho, and have never seen a Dumont badged set in this area.

bgadow
03-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Thats a model I'm not familiar with. Like you, I thought DuMont was part of Emerson by then. Maybe this model feel in between somehow. I'm used to seeing tubes in these branded DuMont-Emerson. Anyway, a good find! I've never seen a portable DuMont of any age.