View Full Version : Granddady's to GE Super Radio III

stereofisher
02-27-2006, 01:51 PM
While trying to cut down on stuff because I am moving I got a GE P865B portable radio. Trying to avoid the wife factor when I move in. Goto get three plus systems down to 1 or 1 1/2. Sold off a receiver and an amp last week. In a weak moment I got this radio. Sold off a new GE Super Radio III and a Channel Master to make room. My self imposed rule is 5 portables.

Got it of f Epay last week. The seller did a great job packing her up. These radios are tanks. Chrome faces and ASB plastic cabinets. Put batteries in a barely a whisper :tears: Taking off the back the radio tried to play. The selector switch was cruddy. A shot of DeOxit fixed that. Like my P780, this radio was developed by Conrad Justin at GE here in NY! He out did himself with this AM-FM switch. Its located on the right side of the cabinet behind the tuning knob. It goes to the inside of the chassis. That goes a linkage that goes to the left side of the chassis to a long (4 inches by 1/2 inch) switch on the top of the chassis. Definitely could have designed it a little less complicated. GE did tell him spare no expense. You can see that here. Cleaned the volume and tone controls too and the FM AFC switch.

Fired it up and the AM is fabulous. Gets all NY City stations here behind the mountains in Ulster Co. Switch to FM and oh no, its weak. Looked inside and there was no wire going to the telescopic ant. Since these also have an extenal ant hookup I ran a jumper to the built ant and got the FM back. Broken wire. The test is getting WQXR FM's repeator in Dutchess Co across the Hudson River. Got it.

I am sorry to see most US built stuff gone. (Zenith's Demise here on AK) As posted there at least I can enjoy these two GE radios and my Zeniths. Got pics of the two GE radios.

crooner
02-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Beautiful radio. GE was always into "long range" AM sets and I guess that tradition was the basis for the Superadios in the 70's, 80's and 90's.