View Full Version : Night Watch (Nochnoi Dozor)

Charivari
02-26-2006, 11:56 PM
Anyone else see this Russian/cult flick? I was dragged to a showing of this past Saturday and am now glad that I was.

It's a different movie, not quite what one would expect from a vampire flick. (Thanks to Underworld, or rather thanks to Kate Beckinsale, I've a bit of a guilty pleasure regarding vampire movies, but I still try to avoid most of them.) Even after seeing it, I'd say it's a vampire flick only technically and more is a story of Light vs. Dark -- though not necessarily Good vs. Evil. The film has it's "you gotta be kidding me" and like hokey moments, but unlike other film travesties that suffer from this, it's obvious the director was doing it as a joke and not seriously. (If you've seen the trailers, then you've seen one of these moments -- when the panel truck has flame shoot out of the exhaust when hard accelerating and managing to do a flip with a braking maneuver to avoid hitting a pedestrian.) Subsequently, this flick is hardly a horror and should be considered a bit of a dark comedy (though not all that dark).

There were definite East European film moments to it ala Emir Kusturica's Black Cat, White Cat(Crna macka, beli macor) meets Hollywood that gives it a cult flavor that sets it apart, but makes you like it.

Some of the key moments had very predictable outcomes, and though one of my friends complained about it, I don't think such were detractions thanks to the rest of the feel to the film (the director not trying to be too serious). I went in to see the film knowing that it was the beginning of a trilogy, so maybe that's why some of these instances, esp. the end, didn't bother me. I understand the sequel is coming out soon in Russia and probably here quite a while later.

So, anyone else see this movie?

- JP

Charivari
02-27-2006, 12:54 AM
How could I forget the subtitles? Most foreign films I see have the traditional, drab white subtitles sitting stagnant at the bottom of the screen. With this film, the subtitles are interactive with the environment, occasionally flying out of an actor's mouth, sometimes disappearing behind an object, turn blood red when needed, and disappear like vapor when struck by a moving object on screen. A minor point, certainly, but it made the movie experience all the better and more entertaining.

- JP

dingus
02-27-2006, 02:18 AM
next thing you know the audience will be dressing up like the characters in the movie and acting out the scenes. there didnt happen to be any sing alongs did there?

2DualsNotEnough
02-27-2006, 03:51 AM
Ive been waiting for this movie to finally hit the states for almost 2 years.We still dont have it yet here in Phoenix,though.But the big comic book shops here have the import DVD of the movie for sale.Ive been tempted to take a chance on it.Now I really want to see it...
Jimmy

Jack G
02-27-2006, 12:33 PM
I got the disc of this about a year ago. This is a strange movie, definitely different. Its been a while since I've seen this, but I don't think the Hokey moment were meant to be funny, and yes, I do beleive the movie was meant to be serious. This is the first of what is supposed to be a trilogy, but I haven't heard much about the next one(s).
FWIW, I liked this movie, especially the basic concept of Light Vs. Dark with neither being pure good or evil. Not to mention the bureaucracy.
Jack

Charivari
02-27-2006, 01:05 PM
I got the disc of this about a year ago. This is a strange movie, definitely different. Its been a while since I've seen this, but I don't think the Hokey moment were meant to be funny, and yes, I do beleive the movie was meant to be serious.
I wonder if there were some editing choices between the Russian release and the one now making an appearance in theaters. There could be no doubt that humor was intended for many of these moments -- the whole audience broke out in laughter at times with out a single groan as to be found with other flicks that suffer from such troubles (Transporter 2 comes to mind). This bit regarding the audience surprised me as there were a rather large representation of Goths and like vampire movie followers in attendance with East European film lovers and relatively average folks in the minority, but none apparently thought there was the intention of seriousness. I must ask what kind of director could even think of being serious with a vampire barber?

This is the first of what is supposed to be a trilogy, but I haven't heard much about the next one(s).
Trailers are online for the next one, Day Watch, and it's supposed to have already been released over there. From what I've seen, it looks to take a turn for the more dramatic. Can't tell if it'll be good or not. Then again, I thought this movie would be bad when I was dragged to it, but was pleasantly surprised.

- JP

Jack G
02-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Interesting. I've talked to others who saw it, and you are the first to mention intentional humor. I don't know any Goths, but I do know a few horror buffs, while some liked it, and others did not, none I know of found it funny.
Jack

Jack G
02-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Here's a mini review from a while ago.
Night Watch (http://badmoviezone.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=5;t=6681;hl=night+watch)
Jack

soundmotor
02-28-2006, 06:46 AM
next thing you know the audience will be dressing up like the characters in the movie and acting out the scenes. there didnt happen to be any sing alongs did there?

"It isn't against the law!" (Audience - "It is in Massachusetts!")