View Full Version : the pink panther

Icon
02-09-2006, 05:35 PM
i have been watching these comercials for the new pink panther movie and i must say it looks prity shity. it dosnt even look funny. steve martin can be funny, but i dont think this part is right for him. i am prity young (22) but i have seen the orginals and honestly parts of them make me cry they are so funny. just thinking about a few parts as i right this has me giggle in class. yet nothing i have seen with mr. martin has even made me cracka smile. am i alone and thinking this and just bitter they are remaking yet another movie or is there some validity to my thoughts ?

rulerboyz
02-09-2006, 05:42 PM
The final insult is that they would let Beyonce anywhere near this. Had they not seen what kind of a turd she delivered in Goldmember?

fotno
02-09-2006, 05:51 PM
This one got struck off my list the instant I found out that they hadn't been able to sucessfully raise either Peter Sellers or Blake Edwards from the dead.

rulerboyz
02-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Hollywood seems determined to remake/recycle every successful franchise at least once. What happens 30 years from now when they run out of things to remake?

Icon
02-09-2006, 06:08 PM
by then they should be able to raise Peter Sellers and Blake Edwards from the dead

i thiink remakes should have to come with a disclamer

most of my friends didnt know that the pink panther movie was not an orginal
some peoples parents dont share anything with there kids i guess ;\

jpdylon
02-09-2006, 07:26 PM
Problem one: Steve Martin is not funny, and I've never liked any of his movies
Problem two: Beyonce is a horrible actor
Problem three: They don't have peter sellers

I think I'll save my 8 bucks :thmbsdn:

dew042
02-11-2006, 12:58 AM
Apparantly they didn't learn from Son of the Pink Panther.

Hollywood is so gutless nowdays - they won't risk anything and a remake is a sure winner - Low cost and medium to high returns. Ick.

dew.

Eric H
02-11-2006, 01:27 AM
I was just getting ready to sit down and watch the original when I saw this post!
I'll give the remake credit for rekindling my interest in the original at least, also they released a box set to coincide with the release so that's a plus.

I have ZERO interest in seeing the remake :no: It looks awful and in fact has been pretty savaged by the critics. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pink_panther/

Andyman
02-11-2006, 07:43 AM
C'mon guys, I bet it is at least as good as "Sgt Bilko" :lmao:

Icon
02-11-2006, 09:06 AM
yes the release of the box set is a plus, i plan on getting it soon. altho on a sad note it dose not contain revenge, due to some sort of licesensing disagreement.

also it seems to me that remakes are not always a safe bet for the studios, they seem to kind of be hit or miss, so do well some fall flat on there faces. but maybe i am just bitter ;]

Sandy G
02-11-2006, 09:22 AM
Y'know, I was sittin' here,going thru-in my mind- all the riotous scenes in the "Panther" series down thru the years, & all I can think of is "How DARE they ?"...Trying to remake the Panthers w/o Sellers and Edwards is almost tantamount to sacrelige..It just shouldn't be done...-Sandy G.

Bogframe
02-11-2006, 11:15 AM
yes the release of the box set is a plus, i plan on getting it soon. altho on a sad note it dose not contain revenge, due to some sort of licesensing disagreement.

also it seems to me that remakes are not always a safe bet for the studios, they seem to kind of be hit or miss, so do well some fall flat on there faces. but maybe i am just bitter ;]
Dunno which box set you're talking about, Icon. My MGM special edition 6 disc box set has:
The Pink Panther
A Shot in the Dark (wear your depends for this one)
The Pink Panther Strikes Again
Revenge of the Pink Panther
and
Trail of the Pink Panther
as well as a bonus disk with Pink Panther & Ant & Aardvark cartoons.

tentoze
02-11-2006, 11:22 AM
If the world is lucky, this will be the nail in the coffin for Steve Martin's career, and he will slink into well-deserved obscurity beside Joe Piscopo.

Fast_Eddie
02-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Well, I am a fan of Steve Martin. I think the Jerk is really funny. And I'm going to see PP today with my 9 year old son just because it's all we could think of to take him too. But I'm not expecting much. I love the origional movies so much I can't believe they felt the need to make them again.

Take care,

Ed

Fast_Eddie
02-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Ok, just saw it. Save your money.

Ed

packratt
02-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Haven't seen the movie but I think they should have done another sequel not a remake.

tentoze
02-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Haven't seen the movie but I think they should have done another sequel not a remake.

How on earth can a true sequel be made when the parties that made any of the originals worthwhile are stone cold dead?

rulerboyz
02-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks for jumping on the grenade for us Fast Eddie. We appreciate your sacrifice.

Filmboydoug
02-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Looked at the trailer on apple.com. I was embarrassed for Steve martin.

Fishstink
02-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Don't even bother. Saw it yesterday and it's very bad. I had a free pass and would have been po'd if I had paid. Less than one hour and 15 min. too.

Eric H
02-11-2006, 09:45 PM
Less than one hour and 15 min. too.

Are you sure the projectionist didn't leave a reel out? it's supposed to be 93 minutes according to the IMDB?

Fast_Eddie
02-11-2006, 09:52 PM
There were maybe two funny bits. More potty humor than I needed with my kid. They ruined the end. Spoiler here, so if you're going to see it, don't read on. He actually solves the mystery! No, he doesn't bumble into the answer, he figures it out! That's just wrong! You just spent an hour showing me beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's an idiot! Now all of a sudden he's a genius? I hate that!

Icon
02-14-2006, 10:37 AM
i was thinking of this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001AG01M/qid=1139934471/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/102-3150136-7156122?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130

but your right i did mess up, it seems the one that is not in there is return of the pink panther not reveng that is not in the box set
sorry about that

Duane
02-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Peter Sellers is Clouseau,period.Whether or not his "Pink Panther" movies will go down as classics,I'm of the belief that his character cannot be duplicated.
I'm constantly reminded of this statement when I see trailers for remakes and pathetic sequels.Just because you can,doesn't mean you should...

No wonder the Hollywood film industry is having problems..

donoghue
02-20-2006, 06:02 AM
Heres a good article on the decline of Steve Martin's career
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11225934/

Maybe Bill Murray & Steve should just give up on comedy, anybody see "The Man who wasn't there?"

"most of my friends didnt know that the pink panther movie was not an orginal
some peoples parents dont share anything with there kids i guess"
Ain't that the truth, I used to work with a lot of people just a few yrs younger than me and couldn't believe some of the stuff they DIDN'T know. The culture's all about the here & now which can be a good thing but you have to have an appreciation of history, sheesh

fotno
02-20-2006, 10:00 AM
The culture's all about the here & now which can be a good thing but you have to have an appreciation of history, sheesh

Amen! No history, no context! Peter Sellers (who in the 60's was considered a goofball actor and a master of slapstick comedy) is positively erudite and sophisticated compared the Martin's present ham-handed approach. If the current audience is as ignorant of Sellers as I assume they are, they'll have no idea what's being pawned off on them as the genuine article. Sad really, that our entertainments have become nothing more than a string of curse words, gratuitous boob-shots, big bangs, bright lights, and fart jokes.

Sandy G
02-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Yeah...Imagine "Being There' or "Dr. Strangelove" being released today...Prolly not 1 person in 10 would get either one of those movies. Excepting AKers, of course...<grin>-Sandy G.