View Full Version : 2 Minute Clip of First Taped Color Program (1958)

wvsaz
04-06-2003, 07:05 PM
:eek:

FANTASTIC!

For those of you who haven't seen this, there is a 2 minute clip of the first network color program recorded on color tape at the following web site:

http://www.ev1.pair.com/colorTV/NBCcolortape-high.html

The program is a special that NBC originally aired on "Television Tape" from Burbank on October 17, 1958.

You will need Quicktime installed to view the clip. If you don't have it. it can be downloaded from the site.

Eric H
04-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Wow, Man oh man that is great!:eek:

It looks so clean and fresh I though at first it must be some kind of recreation but you can't fake Fred Astaire...yet.

The masking is a nice touch too!

Joel Cairo
04-07-2003, 03:17 AM
It's a very nice montage from the special... which, incidentally, was aired on the Disney Channel a couple of times back in the 90's (sans commercials, I beileve).

This program was the subject of a complete restoration by Ed Reitan and the UCLA gang, and their efforts (deservedly) won them an Emmy.

The program is indeed outstanding, and still "works" quite well today, what with Fred's amazing dancing, and the choreography of Hermes Pan.

Barrie Chase is quite an eyeful, as well!

-Kevin

(and not to nitpick, but I beleieve it's inaccurate to say this is the first color tape broadcast... RCA/NBC was using their own proprietary machines at one point, and I believe used that system for some color inserts in other programs prior to the airing of Fred's special).

wvsaz
04-07-2003, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by Joel Cairo

(and not to nitpick, but I beleieve it's inaccurate to say this is the first color tape broadcast... RCA/NBC was using their own proprietary machines at one point, and I believe used that system for some color inserts in other programs prior to the airing of Fred's special).

What I meant to say was that it was the first color PROGRAM (complete) to be broadcast on quad tape. BTW, do you know if the complete program is available somewhere on VHS?

Cory
04-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Wow, there are some great stories on his site. The QT videos really made my day, the way the programs feel like a work of art. What a contrast to today's television, yikes!

Joel Cairo
04-07-2003, 11:24 PM
Bill:

Unfortunately, the show has not been legitimately issued on home video... and given the glacial pace of release for this sort of material, I don't think I'd hold my breath for it anytime soon.

Real pity, too, as it's **quite** a show, and (as you saw) has been restored to stunning condition.

-Kevin