View Full Version : RCA Portable on eBay

Eric H
01-22-2006, 08:58 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-RCA-VICTOR-New-Vista-Color-television-set-EJ505_W0QQitemZ6247473811QQcategoryZ3638QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

This one is strange looking.

nasadowsk
01-22-2006, 09:22 PM
What chassis would this be? Transformer or series string? Anything decent?

Looks like a fairly early portable for RCA in any case. UHF almost looks like it was added on at the last minute...

jpdylon
01-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Its a color set from about 67 IIRC. I think this is a transformerless set, but don't quote me on that.

Sandy G
01-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Kinda cheesy lookin', like a 2nd class motel set or something. I think that was a LARGE part of what happened to RCA & Zenith-their cheaper stuff fairly screamed "CHEAP 'N' NASTY !" "MY OWNER HAS NO MONEY, HE HAD TO BUY ME AT TH' GODDAM K-MART....-Sandy G.

kx250rider
01-22-2006, 10:54 PM
I fixed one of those for.... Get ready........ Astronaut Buzz Aldrin! He brought it into the shop where I worked after school in the early 80s. Got an autograph out of it!

Charles

Chad Hauris
01-22-2006, 10:57 PM
This is a CTC-22. It is one of the earliest models of the CTC-22 as it has a manual degaussing switch. A cap was kept charged up w/B+ or boost voltage and then was discharged into the degauss coils when the switch was pressed (you can see it in one of the pictures). Later model CTC-22's used an auto degausser and had a separate UHF knob rather than having it on the VHF fine tuning as this one does. It is an all tube series string set. These RCA portables seem to have a lot fewer problems than the consoles of the same year, have never seen a bad flyback in a portable.

bgadow
01-24-2006, 11:08 PM
I remember reading in an old Consumer Reports from somewhere in 68-72 that the portable color sets were holding up a lot better than the consoles. But I guess it helped that so many people were using them only as second tv's.

Bill R
01-25-2006, 06:04 PM
That is the exact set that I have been looking for. SAme cabinet and all. It was our first color tv. We got it in late 66. Only problem is it is so far away. I am in West TN, so a road trip is out. I still may bid on it and have it shipped.

Bill R.

jroberts500
01-26-2006, 05:53 PM
When I was a teen helping at a shop we got one of those funny old RCA small color sets. It had that Christmas tree effect closing in pretty good just like the roundies do. I cleaned off the silicone and it had a like new picture. I suspect my boss threw the set in the garbage.

Nice to know Bill will get his old set back! I'm the same way. I want my old stuff back!

El Predicta
01-26-2006, 09:14 PM
That set is hard on tubes..always needs a double-handfull of 5GH8's..also has a solid-state damper diode, + circuit breaker has 3 terminals, the 2 for B+ and another for HO protection. Makes a good picture.

vintagecollect
01-26-2006, 11:29 PM
Funny Post Sandy, was laughing, Not too many ways to make plastic look pretty you know.. Shame manufacturers weren't more creative to make classic cabinets, usually bound for the heap.
:no:

"CHEAP 'N' NASTY !" "MY OWNER HAS NO MONEY, HE HAD TO BUY ME AT TH' GODDAM K-MART

:D

kc8adu
01-27-2006, 12:07 AM
remember anything gh8 had a very high failure rate.followed by the if tubes.
and those damper diodes!seen lots of em die.the ge sub was 2 strapped in paralell.

Bill R
01-28-2006, 08:06 PM
Well it looks like I will have to pass on this one. My projection set that is the daily watcher laid down and died last night. I turned it on, found a program to watch then went to the kitchen for a snack and when I came back it was dead. Oh well. I did notice that the chrome trim piece that goes around the back of the cabinet and over the handle was missing from this set, but I was going to bid anyway. Maybe one will show up closer to home after I get the big set fixed.

Bill R