View Full Version : TV tuner rebuilders/repair

drh4683
01-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Some of you may have heard of or even done business with "quality tuner service" out of Longview, TX. The UHF tuner on my '64 zenith roundie was in poor shape, weak and snowy on different channels.
I decided to send this out to Louis stangle at quality tuner. I just got it back today, he only had it for 1 week. I got a full report as to what was wrong and what was done to the tuner. It received a full alignment and tracks perfectly from 14-83. He only charges $25 to rebuild a UHF tuner, which is a great deal. He does excellent work, and the tuner pulls in stations perfect. I suggest anyone with tuner defects in any old TV give him a try. I spoke with him over the phone, very friendly. He worked for sarkies tarzan before going into tuner repair on his own, so he knows everything about tuners for the old sets and has many parts etc.

A+ Job, I'll be doing business with him again.

http://godard.delhi.la.us/qualitytuner/stangle.htm#pagetop

Eric H
01-17-2006, 10:51 PM
I had the tuner in my Curtis Mathis console and a Zenith portable rebuilt by him, both got new plastic gears and some new tubes all for a price I though was a mistake it was so low! I definitely recommend him.

kx250rider
01-18-2006, 01:05 AM
Wow; Great referral! All the tuner rebuilders are long-gone here in LA.

Charles

vintagecollect
01-18-2006, 01:06 AM
Old time repair , sounds knowledgable with extra parts---- to charge great rates. Frenchy, I hope your seeing this to possibly repair that RCA tuner which needs gears. Actually sounds like a service a lot of AKers can use. Give him a try Frenchy, he can refurbish tuner and maybe has gaers to boot!!!!

:yes: :thmbsp:

polaraman
01-18-2006, 05:28 AM
They did the tuner for my Maggie roundie. The plastic gears were stripped. They put new gears on and set the tuner up. Works perfect. They did an awesome job.

polaraman

On the menu? Setting up my new house.

vintagecollect
01-18-2006, 11:35 AM
I'm going to send some tuners to him. The man's been doing this since 63"!! He WAS formerly RCA, he stated will work on my tuner and waiting for a 1947 tuner to arrive he talked to someone about. This guy truly works on anything, not afraid of the old and archaic, plenty of experience too.

:thmbsp:

prewtv
01-18-2006, 05:09 PM
That was me. I have a RCA 721 and it looks like tuner shaft was hit, detent
poped out, shaft wobles.
Thanks for tip on tuner rebuilder.

Chad Hauris
01-18-2006, 05:57 PM
That's great to hear someone still repairs tuners. I usually "chicken out" on repairing tuners or tuner mechanisms on my sets as long as it gets channel 3 or 4 to hook up to an external tuner or signals source such as the VCR or satellite receiver.

kc8adu
01-18-2006, 07:04 PM
great news.
the last tuner guy i worked with was gem city in beavercreek oh.
he had all the stuff for the oldies and i fixed a ton of those evil ge et82 units for him.
thought it had become a lost art.