View Full Version : Saw this at an antique store for $100

hotrod54chevy
01-13-2006, 06:20 AM
i saw this and had to snap a pic for you gusy..maybe SOMEONE is interested,i dunno..sorry the pic is so bad,it was a quick camera phone shot.like i said,it was on sale for $100 and was at the antique store next to The Big Easy on Brice road here in Columbus if anyone is interested.i dont know who's selling it i just saw it and decided to post it :D
frank

jpdylon
01-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Where's the pic?:dunno:

I see it now! hmmmmm dunno about 100 bucks. THe CRT would be worth it alone if it were good, but how to tell?

Eric H
01-13-2006, 12:47 PM
If it's in any kind of decent condition that set is worth every penny of $100 and then some!

jpdylon
01-13-2006, 01:10 PM
If it's in any kind of decent condition that set is worth every penny of $100 and then some!

What is it? looks to be a phono/radio/tv combo of some kind...

David Roper
01-13-2006, 01:15 PM
It's an Automatic (brand) 7" electrostatic with half the oil drained out of its magnifier bubble.

http://www.tvhistory.tv/1948-Automatic-TVP490-7in.JPG

radio63
01-13-2006, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=TDRyan]It's an Automatic (brand) 7" electrostatic with half the oil drained out of its magnifier bubble.

Maybe it's time for an oil change and new filter? :banana:

Kamakiri
01-13-2006, 02:30 PM
I'd love that set :)

hotrod54chevy
01-13-2006, 04:54 PM
yeah, all i had time to read on the tag was "automatic TV"..it doesnt show too well in the pic but on top of the set was the lid to the kinda hardshell case it's in that snaps shut kinda like a guitar case
frank

Kamakiri
01-13-2006, 06:25 PM
So you said "if anyone was interested".....are you offering to pick it up, or the contact info of the place, or.........?

Eric H
01-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Harry Posters' 1991 book lists this set (1948 TV-P490, Leatherette covered 7" portable w.lid and magnifier) at $350! It's a rare one.

hotrod54chevy
01-13-2006, 06:59 PM
the lid or front cover or whatever it was was on top of the set when i saw it..i looked up the antique mall on google and found their web site that has a contact page..here's the URL http://heritagesquareantiquemall.com/contact.htm they got a phone and fax number and an e-mail address.i'm sure they can probably get you in touch with the dealer who could provide you with more specific information about the set..if i were to call them i'd say that it was a set in the back of the store with all of the RCA and vintage TV/radio stuff in a big display (they got a HUGE RCA dog on the table) and if that STILL doesnt help them,tell them it's pretty much in the back in pretty much the left hand corner of the store.i'm sure they can probably find out more about this set than i can tell you.hope this helps someone.i'd just like to help out anyone lookin for a set like this (knows the feeling!)
frank

Steve McVoy
01-13-2006, 08:52 PM
I bought it for the museum this afternoon. It is really in pretty good shape - fake alligator skin covering. The lens is not scratched - just needs the oil topped off.

After I clean it up I'll post a picture.

Also got a pretty nice trapezoidal shaped Airline 7" for $80.

Eric H
01-13-2006, 10:55 PM
I bought it for the museum this afternoon. It is really in pretty good shape - fake alligator skin covering. The lens is not scratched - just needs the oil topped off.

After I clean it up I'll post a picture.

Also got a pretty nice trapezoidal shaped Airline 7" for $80.

Good to hear it's getting good home! Look forward to some pictures :thmbsp:

hotrod54chevy
01-14-2006, 02:29 AM
that's what i'm glad to see! this is why i post such things on the AK :D
frank

kx250rider
01-14-2006, 12:33 PM
What kind of oil is that? I always wondered, and also I wonder if it's that PCB cancer causing type... Or is it just glycerine like the 90s Sony projection TV tubes use?

Charles

Steve K
01-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Charles:

I believe that it is just mineral oil.

Steve

Steve McVoy
01-15-2006, 06:30 PM
Here are pictures, after I emptied the lens and refilled it with mineral oil:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/automatic_tvp490.html

Eric H
01-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Here are pictures, after I emptied the lens and refilled it with mineral oil:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/automatic_tvp490.html

Looks really good!

Do those have an actual filler hole for the lens or do you have to cut something open?

Steve McVoy
01-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Actually, it looks a little better than the photo. The lens is really very clear, for some reason the photography makes it look like there are dings on it.

On the rear side at the top of the lens is a #10 bolt that allows draining and filling. I drained out all the old oil (Chuck Azzalina warned me not to just top it off, since the new oil will have different viscosity and color), then refilled with a quart of mineral oil from CVS. It took almost an hour, because the stuff is so thick and the fill hole is so small. The dark spot at the top of the lens you see in the picture is the bolt.

Charlie
01-15-2006, 07:10 PM
Steve,

Will you be re-working the insides? It would be interesting to see the set play with this lens.

vintagecollect
01-15-2006, 07:52 PM
Buying online can add price to tv considerably to pay for shipping . Plastic magnifying lenses are usually solid, ---- heavy and expensive to ship also, usually scratched in good to fair condition at best. A definetely interesting set--------- clean design with built in magnifier. Seems a deal-- Any 1948 TV is a rare find anymore. Going to get it ???

Steve McVoy
01-15-2006, 08:03 PM
Yes, I'll restore it at some point. The 7 inch sets are pretty simple, and unless someone has messed with the IF alignment they don't take a long time to restore.

Adam
01-16-2006, 12:17 AM
fake alligator hide??? :) Was this used often? I think this is a really good looking TV, but I've just never heard of this on a TV before.

hotrod54chevy
01-16-2006, 11:23 AM
hey,since i posted it on here,if you do end up selling it,can i get a 10% finders fee..? :D just kiddin.doesnt matter..glad a nice old set is finally amongst people who appreciate it
frank :tresbon: