View Full Version : Advent Videobeam

Eric H
03-22-2003, 03:38 PM
Any interest in the Advent Projectors?

I saw a Videobeam 1000A in a second hand store this morning, just wondering if they had any collector status yet?

Eric

Rob
03-22-2003, 04:01 PM
Eric,

I owned two of those. They were very advanced at the time. The CRT was a clever innovation by Henry Kloss that placed the CRT electron optics and Schmidt optics in the same vacuum envelope. It made for a very expensive CRT. I wouldn't mind having one for my tube collection. This projector was one of the few then to have a comb filter in the color decoder. These sets used miriad plug in modules and the problems with intermittent contacts are common. Almost all the fragile surfaced curved screens were damaged through attempts at cleaning. You could not physically touch them or you'd ruin the fine grain raised aluminum surface. There was also a set of plastic disc corrector plate lenses available that you could place on the front of the 'guns' to project onto a flat surface screen.

I wouldn't consider one of these to have any real monetary collectible value IMO.

Rob

captainmoody
03-22-2003, 09:17 PM
I wouldn't say that Rob, About a year ago I sold one of my Advent videobeam projectors to a collector in California for 250.00! Sold the screen to another collector in Chicago for 100.00. There is a following for these units. The ones I have seem to be quite reliable too. All have good crt's, Only one needed some caps changed to be useable again after long storage.

michael
03-22-2003, 10:38 PM
Had a Kloss about three years ago that I finally sold in the Vintage Radio & Phonograph auction. It worked great but lacking the concave screen, I really didn't have a proper surface to display the image on. Tried making my own, experimenting with cuving thin plywood without much success. These are neat but not having the screen's a real sore spot! (Secretly, I wish I hadn't sold it!)
Michael

Eric H
03-22-2003, 11:50 PM
The price on this one was $180! no screen that i could see.
Looked pretty clean, black cabinet.

Odd thing was I had just watched the movie "Autofocus" the movie about Bob (Hogan) Crane, and there was a Videobeam featured in that.

Actually that movie shows a lot of vintage Video gear and TV's.

Rob
03-23-2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by captainmoody
I wouldn't say that Rob, About a year ago I sold one of my Advent videobeam projectors to a collector in California for 250.00! Sold the screen to another collector in Chicago for 100.00. There is a following for these units. The ones I have seem to be quite reliable too. All have good crt's, Only one needed some caps changed to be useable again after long storage.

Cap'n,

I guess it is a matter of what you are used to. As I said, I owned two of those and have owned and technically maintained and operated many others far more powerful and valuable because I worked in the pro events-projection market off and on for years. I even owned and restored the all-vacuum-tube, 3-light valve EP-6 color Eidophor that was bought new for the 1967 World's Fair in Montreal, and I even did the 1993 CBC Gemini Awards show in Toronto with it. After all my hard work and expense restoring it I saw that machine scrapped because I just could no longer afford the heated dry storage it needed. With two power supply cabinets and road parts case it took up as much room as a full size Elvis Presley car, and weighed almost as much. This was before ebay and the internet so now I am kinda sorry I couldn't keep it until now, it was a true museum piece and was just s/n 00011, but you can't keep everything and if you were to see my place now you'd see proof that I still try! :) I wouldn't give you $25 CDN for a working Videobeam 1000A today. I cannot spare the storage space for something I'd never have any interest in looking at. I'm wanting to sell the remaining Eidphors that I still do have. I could use the room.

That is just my particular unique situation. If a Advent 1000A or anything else for that matter floats your boat, estimate the $ value to your own thrill level. :)

Rob

captainmoody
03-23-2003, 08:03 AM
Wow! Its nice to know you are so well versed in this field! I too have experience in Projectors, However, Most of it it has only been with high definition stuff of late, The company that I have, (The Massco Group) resells and services them along with servers and other associated electronics. As far as price, I don't dictate that! Ebay and collectors have. I certainly wouldn't collect any equipment as large as a car either, That would be foolish! I have a large warehouse and would never waste the space on anything other than stock for resale. (got to pay the bills!) My collectable stuff is kept at home. The smaller advent and similar projectors though can be stored easily and brought out for use as needed.

vintagecollect
02-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Interesting tv

andy
02-09-2006, 12:18 AM
I actually had a 1000A recently. It's not a very good projector. It was made by Electrohome and uses standard projection CRTs and optics. It's hard to work on and failed several times in the short time I had it. I tuned it up the best I could, but it still had a poor picture.

kx250rider
02-09-2006, 01:57 AM
If anybody needs copies of the manual, I have it. I have had many Advents, including a few VB-1000's. There's still a nice one in the storage room at KTLA last I heard. I wasn't ever able to get any money for them, but they're neat. I know of 2 or 3 others sitting around.

Did anyone see the Sony version? Circa 1972... Very rare, but I did see one.

Charles

jkchance
02-12-2006, 12:36 PM
I am in possession of a Kloss VideoBeam 2000 circa July 1985. I am interested in selling this item. Please email me if anyone is interested.
Thanks, Jennie

Celt
02-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Jennie, welcome to AK. But please use our classified section for ads.

Nakdoc
02-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Advents.... I saw a working 710 a year ago and it was wretched. The 1000A used Schmitt optics tubes, so they put out enough light to be seen on a 7 foot screen, but today's projectors run circles around old Advents. A mint 7 foot 1000a screen would be worth something, as it had the most neutral texture, much better than the brown bordered washables. Even the Novabeams don't compare. In the old days lenses and crt blooming limited what the picture looked like, so the chassis have poor video frequency response. Today, guns and lenses are much better. Any HD set puts these to shame.

KentTeffeteller
02-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Hi,

I just saw an old 1978 model Advent Videobeam at UTC! Was used for presentations to students. Still is in excellent working condition. Nice picture and still has the proper screen. A hulk! Well made and makes nice pictures! A bear to work on in some ways!

adunphy
08-23-2006, 09:13 AM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how I could get rid of my Advnet VideoBeam 1000A SN# 02031 circa 1974. My dad owned this since then and it was our "daily driver" for 25+ years growing up. It has been sitting idle the past 5 years after being fixed by a guy in Cambridge MA. I am trying to figure out how to get rid of this thing and would really like to be able to put it to some use instead of dumping it in a landfill since its in perfect working condition including the 7' concave foil covered screen.

Does anyone know if there is an outlet for these or have any suggestions on a good place to advertise this thing to the right audience?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Aaron

captainmoody
08-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Ebay is one way, Craigslist might be good also.

Nakdoc
08-24-2006, 09:52 AM
If the screen is perfect, there is a lot of value. Try an AK classified first. These 1000a and early 750 "non-washable" screens had the most neutral background texture of any projector screen.

Dennis_Atherton
09-21-2006, 08:51 PM
I was in chargeg of the Tubes - design, manufacture and the rest (setting up the clean room), at Advent, and have 3 of the tubes 1-each - in my garage. My unit - prototype #7 - was stolen from a storage unit a few years back, and I am looking for one. Have the complete service manual, and want to see what I can do to bring one back to life.
If anybody has any early Advent questions, I worked along side of Uncle Henry for over 5 years.

Nakdoc
09-22-2006, 10:57 AM
Dennis,
do you want a 1000 or 1000a, or a 750?

vintagecollect
04-24-2008, 11:59 PM
Got a vidseobeam 1000A, Great picture after adjustments, I have an original screen. I'm going to try and make a thinner lighter screen that is more easily movable and mountable. Unit front and top covers off for adjustments. Does anyone her have one??

Red October
04-27-2008, 02:09 AM
That is what was called the "Big White Rabbit". They run very hot so be careful with it, do not turn the brightness up any higher than needed and make the room as dark as possible. The tubes go out easily, are costly to replace, are run at slightly *above* their rated filament voltage to get the picture, and the unit WILL need servicing the week prior to the Superbowl. I know both a gentleman who used to service these, and one of the engineers responsible for their creation. Those caveats aside, they are fascinating pieces of equipment and capable of making a very nice picture if they are in good order and equipped with the propper screen. I have a Kloss Novabeam, the eventual development of the Videobeam line, and it is phenomenal. Better than any tube projector I've ever seen, and most LCD projectors. Only my gargantuan Sharp outdoes it.

vintagecollect
04-27-2008, 07:57 PM

Red October
04-27-2008, 09:56 PM
Ah, my Novabeam is the big-as-a-house model 100, the only one (AFAIK) to project flat and therefor not truly need any special sort of screen. Picture is bright enough to work in a somewhat lit room, in the dark it's like a regular CRT screen... just a huge one. The picture is truly fantastic, it's the best picture I've ever seen outside of certain HD tube sets... not a big fan of those flat jobbers at all.

ChrisW6ATV
04-28-2008, 04:44 PM
The Kloss Novabeam Model 2 also used a flat screen. It was in a relatively compact cabinet with a flat top cover when not being watched, that was actually a mirror when lifted up and placed in slots at an angle. The inline CRTs faced nearly straight up toward the mirror, and it projected a 64" diagonal picture that was pretty bright onto a piece of white foam-core art board. A pretty decent picture at the time, though it was dimmer in the bottom left and right corner areas of the screen. It did not have really sharp focus compared to later rear-projection CRT displays of similar size, but it had the correct color temperature (6500 K) when few if any regular TVs were available that way.