View Full Version : Replacing caps RCA 14S 7070U TV

JerryR
01-07-2006, 02:22 PM
I've just began to check out the capacitors on my RCA 14S 7070U TV. Alot of them are buried, naturally, between the bottom of the chassis and the CRT. It looks as if I might have to unsolder some CRT leads and pull the CRT out a couple inches to get to these. What precautions should I take with this project to protect the CRT ?

Thanks,

JerryR

Don Lindsly
01-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Nothing should need to be unsoldered to get the CRT out.

Eric H
01-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Don's right , just (carefully) unplug the connector, loosen the yoke (which probably has rotted plastic by now anyway like most RCA's of the era), remove the high voltage connector from the side of the tube (discharge first!) then unclamp the CRT from the front and carefully slide it out.

The tube is fairly rugged, just use care not to bang it around.

The CRT really needs to be removed to work on this chassis, it's far safer than trying to work on it with the tube in place.

Eric H
01-07-2006, 10:31 PM
P.S. there are small "test" CRTs that can be used in place of the original CRT. They are 8" tubes designed to work in a wide variety of sets. The number is something like 8YP4 or 8XP4.

I think this is the one you would need for that set: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Bonded-Superior-TV-Picture-Tube-in-Box-NOS_W0QQitemZ6242443547QQcategoryZ3638QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

The Buy It Now price is laughable but the starting price of $9.99 is about right.