View Full Version : Roadside ctc-27

Eric H
01-02-2006, 08:20 PM
Some of you may remember this RCA I found lying face down beside the road.
I took it to work, fixed the broken CRT mount, blew out the bugs and it's been sitting under the bench since.

It worked as-is but has a hum in the sound and a weave in the picture, also the focus was non existant so the logical conclusion was that it had a bad filter.

Brought it inside the house for the first time tonight and pulled the chassis back far enough to access the bottom, clipped in a 100mfd@450 cap across the first filter can I saw, fired it up and got a nice full raster, no hum and decent focus, hows that for luck :thmbsp:

The picture was taken with the set on it's side, nothing has been adjusted since I slapped it back together months ago and the yoke isn't clamped to the neck of the tube but still it makes a fair picture.
The jug is weak on all three guns but they are all equally weak.

drh4683
01-02-2006, 08:50 PM
looks good! That was a lucky find. I never see rca sets like that around here. I think they pretty much got burned up and were gone by the early 80's. I was lucky enough to get 2 of those from rca2000 a couple years ago. They are my favorite RCA TV. I'll keep my 27 forever!
Glad you were able to save it. Have you tried zapping the guns or are they beyond rejuvination?

kx250rider
01-03-2006, 01:37 AM
What??? You clipped a cap across the 1st filter and THEN fired it up? You missed the fun! You're supposed to do that with the set on... It makes a nice POP and spits a sharp blue spark when you clip it in, then an even better KRACK!!!!! when you discharge it... :D

All fun aside, Glad you saved it!

Charles

vintagecollect
01-15-2006, 08:21 PM
NIce score!! Out here in West, any tube color TV is hard to find anymore. :thmbsp: