View Full Version : my old set with DVD..?

hotrod54chevy
01-01-2006, 06:48 PM
oooook..here's the question...soon i should be making my 54 magnavox my MAIN set,and i'll be using one of those adaptors for my regular antenna hook up to a cable-type hook up, basically so i can hook it up to a DVD/VCR or VCR to get cable setting the set to channel 3.my main question is what should i hook to it to be able to use a DVD/VCR? i know most DVD players have to plugs (audio and visual) but my set being so old only has the antenna hook ups and then it's gonna have an adapter for cable,so how would i make this work? should i get one of those $20 thingies in the electronics department where you plug cable and DVDs or games into it and then hook it to the set, or is there something i'm missing?any help or opinions would be appreciated! thanks!
frank

Big Dave
01-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Tie the A/V lines from the DVD into the VCR. Use the VCR tuner for the TV. Set the TV to channel 3. All you would need is a matching transformer to go from the coax from the VCR to the antenna block on the TV. Once I get your set up and running, I'll go ahead and hook everything up.

jstout66
01-01-2006, 07:30 PM
I'm lazy. I bought VCR/DVD combos for less fuss. IMO much better than tons of wires and adapers.... but like I said, I'm lazy.

Lefty
01-01-2006, 07:38 PM
I'm lazy. I bought VCR/DVD combos for less fuss. IMO much better than tons of wires and adapers.... but like I said, I'm lazy.

A lot of the cheaper DVD/VHS players have antenna RF input and output F connectors so one with older TVs can just set the player to channel 3 and use the cable box for channel selection, super easy.

Lefty

blue_lateral
01-02-2006, 03:12 AM
On thing though, You might want to look for a DVD player that can have the copy protection shut off, and I doubt that will be a combo. The copy protection will probably show up as sections of bright retrace lines on the screen. This happens with a lot of older sets, I guess you wont know until you try it. Best of luck.

John

hotrod54chevy
01-02-2006, 10:18 AM
dave, seriously,thanks for your help! for a newbie to electronics you've really been a big help! i have a cable box but it'll probably be going into the bedroom since we'd rather have the option of watching premium channels up there than letting whatever guests we have downstairs watch them while we sleep! :D i'm thinking about getting a combo DVD/VCR unit basically just for space.i'm trying to find the smallest unit i can and then try to hide it,basically.probably just cover it up with an old tissue box or planter when it's not in use..somethin that can be lifted up and put back on whenever i feel like watching a DVD...i love the look an old TV and high-fi have sitting in my living room (even though some HATE the idea of not having *gasp* a color set in the living room :sigh: ) and i just dont want a bunch of fancy new boxes and wires sitting on top of a nice,old,WOOD tv cabinet..anyone got any tips or tricks on what they did to hide their upgrades? I.E. cable boxes and DVDs and the like,or do most just sit them on top and forget about them?
frank

Jonathan
01-02-2006, 06:56 PM
On my Sony 5-303W, when I connect a satellite receiver to it through it's RF modulated output, I get a buzzing sound during times of high contrast. From what I hear, this happens a lot with older TVs because part of the video signal bleeds over to the audio because the modulated signal is so strong. Using a -3dB or -6dB attenuator should eliminate that. I'm going to try it later.

Jonathan

daro
01-03-2006, 02:17 AM
This link might be helpful to you in solving your problem.
http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6753