View Full Version : Not getting an Xbox for xmas so....

frenchy
11-26-2005, 12:50 AM
I pulled out my old Fairchild videogame system, this system came out even before the Atari 2600. Talk about crude. It really looks great on this old roundie though! I found it and a ton of cartridges for it in a junk store years ago. I can imagine some well-to-do kid getting this for xmas back in 1977, and would probably have been told by his parents "but play it on the OLD color tv in the rec room!"

jpdylon
11-26-2005, 01:07 AM
Yet another great use for vintage sets. I Find that most television shows are crap, so I use my vintage color sets to play video games on.

i have an Atari 2600 that I got used at a yard sale in 1989 for free, along with about 15 games. i also have an original nintendo, super nintendo, and a Nintendo 64 that I play rarely.

I have actually found that the games seem to look better on the older sets. The colors look more natural instead of like they were designed on a computer. Particularly more modern games.

Jonathan
11-26-2005, 02:07 AM
Sweet picture. Looks great on the roundie. I plan on playing my AGB capture unit (it's a professional unit that is basically a game boy adaance in a box that you can play GBA games on a TV. It's used my media companies and developers.) on my color roundie.

Jonathan

frenchy
11-26-2005, 04:14 AM
I love how every cartridge box has this note from when lots of people still had B&W sets - "Game play in color only on color television sets". Derrrrrrrrr!
You can really tell how expensive memory was back then, the prompts in the game consist of things like "M?" "G?" "T?" "S?" They couldn't afford to squander enough bits to even spell out whole words. And the blackjack game I have displayed? When you run out of chips, the thing just continues dealing two cards to the dealer forever, why waste memory on code to end the game gracefully? : )
I love ancient technology like this just like old TVs. I even gave my nephews all the old systems when they were growing up - Intellivision, 2600, Nintendo etc. - so they also appreciate how far this stuff has come over the years. Now I'm gonna show them this baby!
I like the Blackjack and Sonar Hunt carts the best. Fortunately none of the games suffer any from the rounded corners of the round screen, they seem to have limited the used game area to a rectangle that fits pretty much within it (probably to save bits!)
I still remember drooling over this system in the local Sears store when I was about 16, they had one hooked up to a tv. Hey, this WAS the Xbox 360 in THOSE days!

Chad Hauris
11-26-2005, 12:59 PM
How about the Magnavox Odyssey? I have one of these but haven't used it in a while. It has a full computer keyboard (membrane-type keys.)

frenchy
11-28-2005, 03:24 AM
How about the Magnavox Odyssey? I have one of these but haven't used it in a while. It has a full computer keyboard (membrane-type keys.)

That one came out after Channel F. Channel F was first machine that took interchangeable game cartridges with rom chips in them. First machine with games that diesplayed text, first videogame easter egg, lots of firsts. It died after about 30 games or so. I think Odessey II (the one with keyboard) lived longer and had more games made for it.
While I'm sitting here I have the 'Quadadoodle' game running that randomly does a color kaleidescope thing on the screen, looks cool on a roundie (the machine has a incredible color palette of EIGHT colors! Wooooooh!