View Full Version : not quite on topic: "attic" antenna mount question

mhardy6647
11-23-2005, 02:40 PM
Heidy-ho, TV folks:

I am going to temporarily put up a UHF/VHF Yagi in the "attic" of my garage (I'll spare you the details). My simple quesiton is this: If it's "inside", should I still ground it as I would an outside mount antenna?

This seemed like a reasonable place to post this question, since the antenna will be used for a rectangular, solid state TV!

Thanks for your attention!

markthefixer
11-23-2005, 05:48 PM
My vote would be yes.... justification: Attic fires from lightning strikes, what is it about a layer of wood and asphalt that offers static and electrical protection?

OvenMaster
11-23-2005, 06:11 PM
I always noticed better TV (and FM) performance whenever the mast and inline coax amp were grounded. Less interference, sharper pic. The only thing you may notice is possibly degraded performance due to the roof being covered with ice and/or rain and/or snow because of signal attenuation.

Tom

old_tv_nut
12-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Another hint - put it as high in the attic as possible - laying it on any elctrical conduit is bad for reception - also, if your roof has metal ice shields, you need to get above them. Nice thing about putting an antenna in the attic is that you don't have to mount it really securely (no wind!) - so you can even hang it from the rafters with twine if that works.

merrylander
12-03-2005, 07:12 AM
Our FM turnstile is in the garage attic and is grounded through the RG-6 to the main ground. There is sufficient metal above the garage roof, even though off to the side, that it would be the prime target. That is if all my neighbors up on the hill don't get it first. Been here near 18 years through many a storm and find that being set lower than several neighboring lots has its advantages.

Rob