View Full Version : Sets with VIR

Kamakiri
03-05-2003, 06:50 AM
Thought this might make an interesting topic for discussion....

I remember going into Calvin's appliances with my parents sometime around 1977 shopping for a TV to replace what I remember to be a CTC-20 RCA or thereabouts. The set that we purchased was a very nice console GE "Performance" that had something called a VIR light. If I remember correctly from the salesman's explanation (I was young, but this stuck), the VIR actually got the correct color signal from the airwaves, and displayed it properly, eliminating the need to touch the tint controls, etc. I'm sure that was a precursor to just a simple automatic color setting, but does anyone know about it, or have a set with VIR? There was a cool red light that would come on when the VIR signal was locked in :cool:

I haven't seen a set ANYWHERE with VIR in many years, not even at the thrifts.

The set lasted until 1984, when something (can't recall what) died, and it was replaced with a Zenith 19" color. IIRC, the '83 model Zenith had red LEDs for the channel indicator, the '84 switched to green.

wvsaz
03-05-2003, 09:00 AM
VIR stood for Vertical Interval Reference signal. It was developed by GE, and was intended to eliminate color differences between stations without having to readjust the controls. :)

The VIR signal was inserted by the local TV station. It served as a "stamp of approval" on the color leaving the station, and the set equipped with VIR would indeed display the exact same color the station was transmitting. :cool:

The problem was that many stations were sloppy in adjusting their equipment, and flesh tone & color intensity varied from one video source to another. The VIR signal "locked in" these color differences on the receiver and did not allow the viewer to adjust them. One of the first changes in the VIR circuit was the addition of a "defeat" switch on the receiver! :mad:

The use of VIR by TV stations never fully caught on. It was permitted, but not required by the FCC. Some stations used it, but many never did. It died a slow and natural death. :(

Today's broadcast equipment and consumer receivers are far more stable than they were in the 70's. In spite of this, sloppy operation remains, and you can still see color variations on some stations. :mad: Color on satellite channels is amazingly consistent, which shows it can be done if someone cares. :eek:

andy
03-05-2003, 11:08 AM

captainmoody
03-05-2003, 09:04 PM
My parents bought a new GE 19" tv with VIR back in Jan '78. It had the cheap matching plastic stand that made it look like a mini console, It was an expensive set at the time, Even had a remote, Although it was fairly large and heavy for an infrared one. The tv died 6 months later, I had to replace the power supply diode and a fuse. (It was past the 90 day labor warranty) My dad was sick of it by then and gave it to my sister! He then bought a 25" RCA at the local Highland appliance store, They delivered it the next day, I watched them take it out of the box and bring it in the house, Much to my suprise when I hooked it up, it wouldn't work! I couldn't believe it! Two days later they brought another, This time it worked, And did so for the next 20 years until Dad got rid of it.