View Full Version : Old Trinitrons

Telecolor 3007
11-17-2005, 09:49 AM
Someome owns an pre 1990 "Sony" <<Trinitron>>? Those sets offered a better picture than the other sets made back then?
If you got pcitures of some old <<Trinitron>> put them.

Chad Hauris
11-17-2005, 06:57 PM
There are some photos of late 60's and 70's Trinitrons at our tv page:

http://www.retroaudiolab.com/tvphoto.htm

tv beta guy
11-17-2005, 09:53 PM
I have one, a 1970 or so model KV-1212. Missing VHF knob and only an inch of vertical deflection. I never got around to fixing it... Eventually I will:

Jeffhs
11-18-2005, 01:29 AM
Those older Sonys were great sets. One of my great-aunts had two sets by Sony, one a 12- or maybe 15-inch late-'60s portable (I think it was an early Trinitron) which lasted her maybe 20 years, and the other a 20" Sony table model. Don't know the model numbers of either of those sets, but I do remember they had a great picture, even using rabbit ears (before cable). Those were the days. :yes: Those days are still here as far as Sony is concerned, as I've seen very few if any complaints about their TVs, either here or in any of the TV repair sites I've visited. Sonys have a much better reliability record than Thomson-built RCAs.

BTW, speaking of RCA TV and its inherent onboard tuner problems in the CTC185, et al., I had an RF port replaced on my now 6-year-old CTC185 a couple months after purchasing the set [it snapped off the tuner PC board] and yes, the tech who repaired this problem did in fact resolder every ground point around the tuner, in addition to reinforcing the bracket which holds the connector to the board. This is in answer to a comment made in response to one of my recent posts, in which I mentioned that the RF port had been replaced in my set. The respondent said, in paraphrase, that a CTC185 cannot be expected to operate six years or longer with the factory soldering job around the tuner; the ground points around the OB tuners in these sets absolutely must be resoldered if the TV is to operate normally. This is probably (likely) why my set has gone the last five years with no further tuner problems (or problems of any kind). Knock on wood. The tech who repaired the RF port problem also told me the jungle IC had some sort of problem, but I honestly don't know to this day what it is or was. The set makes a great picture on cable, using a cable box (I have Comcast digital cable), and has its original CRT which is still very strong for the set's age. I'll definitely hold onto this set :yes: as long as it works as well as it does. (I also have a 1995 Zenith Sentry 2 color set that still works well, but that's another story; suffice to say that I am keeping that set to replace the RCA when the latter eventually dies, as I don't intend to put any more money into the RCA--the extended warranty expires early next year.)

BTW (2), I was looking at Chad's RetroAudioLab site earlier tonight and saw the phrase "ESR meter" used several times. I've been interested in electronics most of my life, but never saw this abbreviation until I joined AK. I think they have something to do with testing capacitors, but I'm not sure by a long shot what this instrument really does. Is it a solid-state version of the old capacitor testers such as Eico's model 955, et al.?

BTW (3): Also on Chad's RetroAudioLab site, I saw a picture of a 1974 RCA "Lyceum" TV. The set pictured was a 25" b&w receiver. Seeing that set brought back memories for me, as when I was in high school, we had a four-channel CCTV video system which used a 1975 RCA Lyceum color set as a monitor for our only color channel at the time, channel 7 (the other three were b&w and between the three Cleveland VHF network stations, using Sony AV and CV series VTRs and Sony TVs as studio monitors, although our channel 2 monitor was a 1960s Zenith 19" b&w set). I was not aware until now that RCA made a b&w Lyceum. The set in our school's CCTV system had a black-out channel selector panel with illuminated selector drums; the b&w Lyceum on Chad's site has standard, non-illuminated selector knobs.

Telecolor 3007
11-18-2005, 04:14 AM
At an tv repair shop they got an <<Trinitron>> that is more then 25 older. But they wouldn't sell it to me. They are keeping it there, waiting fot the day they will throu it. :deadhorse
By the way, old <<Trinitron>> are friednly to your eyes (if you stay too much with your eyes stock to the image provided by an old tv, after a time the eyes will heart you).

holmesuser01
11-18-2005, 09:02 AM
I found a 21" Trinitron this past weekend. Its in really nice condition, considering it probably sat in a damp basement for years. If I bypass the remote control circuitry, the set will turn on with a half-way decent picture. Its a KV-2145R.

old_tv_nut
11-18-2005, 10:17 AM
ESR - Effective Series Resistance --- should be low for a good capacitor, and may depend on the frequency or pulse width of the signal

kx250rider
11-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Somebody say "Old Trinitrons"? Me likes old Trinitrons!

Here's a photo of my mini Trinitrons, and one of my KX-1901 Profeel monitor. I also have the KX-2501 and KX-1211. Note the baby brother of the Profeel series at the lower Left of the mini photo; the tiny KX-4200, which is perhaps the rarest of any of the Trinitrons except maybe for the very first one (that I don't have); the KV-7010UA. The other minis are: Upper Left, KV-4000 1981; Upper Rt, KV-5000 1972; Lower Right is a commercial PVM-4000 1990. I got all of them on eBay in nonworking order cheap, then fixed them. These are fun to have, and they don't take up the space of a fleet of DuMont Royal Sovereigns or Toyota Diesel cars (my other hobby and collection)...

There is no comparison when it comes to the picture on that KX series. And they are so reliable. The best, in my opinion, for quality would be Trinitrons up to about 1978. They started cheapening with the 43 series (ie KV-1943, etc). Those went to a 1-piece main board that seemed to have more stupid problems such as rotten rubber keyboards, that green 500-volt ceramic cap across the Horiz Output that would constantly short, burn and blow things. and I think the picture declined when they went back to the 90 degree CRT from the 110 that they had all through the mid 70s. I liked the picture on the mid-70s KV-1712 and its ilk the best for that decade. That was a 470FWB22 tube, then the KX series for the 80s.

But I have to say that despite the TERRIBLE service reputation and all the recalls, the KV-36XBR400 Wega of the late 90s might have the best picture of any big tube set I've seen.

Charles

andy
11-18-2005, 01:06 PM

Eric H
11-19-2005, 05:10 PM
I've been a fan of Trinitrons since I was a kid drooling over the displays at Fedco in the 70's,nothing else at the time even came close to matching the pictures on those sets.

I posted a pic of a KV9200 from 1977 I found a couple weeks ago but it must have been on the temp server cause it's gone now.

Beyond that there are 6 more Trinitrons in the house, not particularly vintage except perhaps the KV4000:

a 27" XBR I got in 1989, still works but it's been relegated to the bedroom for the last year after it was replaced by a Sony RPTV

20" from 1991 or so, also a bedroom set.

13" from 1989 bought at a thrift store for $20, works like new and is used in the living room so I don't have to wear out the bulb in the RPTV.

KV4000 bought off eBay.

Two Computer monitors, not TV's but they still have the Trinitron tube and name.

Telecolor 3007
11-20-2005, 03:35 PM
I'm curios, the first <<Trinitron>> had delta or in-line picture tube?

andy
11-20-2005, 08:36 PM

Duane
11-21-2005, 11:57 AM
A friend of mine purchased the Sony console that had the first Betamax built into it back in the 70's.What a great looking set it was.From that point in time,I've always lusted after Trinitrons.I have had a few Sony's over the years,but only two remain today.One is a KV-1357r that I use in the garage and the other is a professional PVM-2030Q for the bedroom.The PVM is the best looking Sony I've ever owned,including the newer WEGA sets.
I'd love to see one of those older Sony consoles in operation again.

axel
11-21-2005, 12:24 PM
...Trinitron user here!

I use daily the mini to not-so-mini monitors (PVM, BWV + SDI etc) for work and a 72cm KV-X at home.
The latter is way past 12 years of heavy use and people coming to watch films are amazed at the quality - no digiFilters, no 100Hz to smooth-out whatever, just an excellent tube. There was an 86cm equivalent to mine back then but it was getting too expensive - wish I could find one now!

Present CRTs, LCD, Plasma and the rest of the newer stuff just doesn't compare -understatement of the year-, whether at home or for work (both and both in my case).

My 21" Apple Display is a Trinitron, too :)

andy
11-21-2005, 12:26 PM

domfjbrown
11-21-2005, 01:20 PM
I can clearly remember a UK magazine ad for Sony tellies in the late 80s - it had a picture of a sphere with an image on (a "normal" CRT), and a cylindar with an image on (Sony Trinitron).

The slogan said "Why buy a football you can watch TV on when you can have a TV you can watch football on?". Class.

My neighbours got a 21 incher in 1986 and from there on in I was hooked.

I've had Sony Trinitrons since 1992, and am currently using a 1995 KVM-25F2U. I got it ex-demo in 1997 (so that's around 18 months' hard labour on a shopfloor), and it DID need a new motherboard as the original one had flakey firmware - a known issue. That got fixed 3 weeks after I bought it, and it's never EVER put a foot wrong since. 8 years' good service and an excellent bright sharp image off of DVD/cable.

I prefer Trinitrons to everything else because blacks are REALLY black on these. The current range of Panasonic T'Au aren't far behind, but the Sonys still look better to me.

I saw a 1971 14inch Sony once in a motel in Kingsbridge, Devon, UK. This would have been around 1994. Although it went a bit "wibbly" after an hour or so of being on, the image was still typical Trinitron - bright and sharp - 23 years on, even though the motel was by an estuary (nice damp!).

axel
11-21-2005, 03:03 PM
The slogan said "Why buy a football you can watch TV on when you can have a TV you can watch football on?".

Typical Sony ad-copy but this one has class indeed! thanks domfjbrown for bringing it out of the past!

From the early 60s onward, Sony advertised almost always with a certain off-handed-ness I find quite refreshing - no matter what product, there's always some fun to be poked at :)
That ad slant unfortunately didn't survive the 80s... which were supposed to be "fun" - paradox.

Telecolor 3007
11-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Here is an "Sony" tv (I don't know if it's <<Trinitron>>) with a "Sony" VTR :rockon:

vintagecollect
01-15-2006, 08:32 PM
keep that trinitron telecolor!!! One of the first!! 1968 OR 1969, very old. I collect many sonys , my little one likes lively & brilliant NTSC color --- small trinitron produces when watching movies when we road travel in motorcar!! CRTs still have much better contrast & sharper , brighter color that mediocre LCD screens.

:yes:

Urizen
01-15-2006, 08:54 PM
My first Trinitron I bought new in 1986. Model KV-2080R. The remote got smashed during a move years ago. Wish I cound find another! This set has performed flawlessly for 20 years. My main TV is a Sony Trinitron model KV-32522 which I bought as a floor model around 1998. Great picture.

nasadowsk
01-15-2006, 09:09 PM
yeah, those early trinis pop up a LOT around here at thrift places. they were built like tanks and they last forever.

The GE 'POF' (?) CRT of the 50's reminds me a lot of the trini - I wonder if Sony licensed or got the idea from there. IIRC, there were a few patents they licensed for the trini anyway.

Still a really neat CRT design....

vintagecollect
01-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Trinitron CRT is related or based on 50's experimental--Chromatron color CRT, single gun crt , no convergence as single gun?? should know, but never popped cover on one of my 7 trinitrons I own and don't have to since they just keep on working. :scratch2:

old_tv_nut
01-15-2006, 09:34 PM
The trinitrons and the chromatron both use a grill of vertical wires to select the phosphors, but teh resmblance stops there. The Chromatron switched the wire voltages to deflect the single beam rapidly to the different phosphors. The trinitrons use the wires as a verical-slot shadow mask for three beams. The trinitron gun also was billed as a "single gun" since most of the electrodes are common to all three beams.

Telecolor 3007
01-16-2006, 03:59 AM
@vintagecollector: that "Sony" ain't mine :D :tears: My "Sony" <<Trinitron>> is from the year 2000 :smoke: and arleady haves problems... :thumbsdn:

domfjbrown
01-16-2006, 08:38 AM
Further to my old thread, my 25F2U is now in my mate's system in Reading, and I have a KVM-FX68U widescreen one (bought off another mate).

Hmm - the image is nice and bright and sharp, but my eyes still aren't used to 100HZ. I'm hypersensitive to flicker, and can usually clearly see 85Hz non-interlaced flicker on computer monitors. This 100Hz set is weird. it doesn't have motion blurring per se, but I can clearly see each individual frame - it's like a weird NTSC->PAL standards conversion kind of picture. Once I've been using the TV for a while I get used to it, but after this weekend (at my sister's, using a 14 inch Sony portable) while flicker isn't an issue, that "blurring" is.

Oh well - just my weird eyes I guess.

And yeah, I see this on LCD and Plasma TVs all the time too, so it must be modern processing :(

PeteK
01-19-2006, 02:24 AM
Can anyone date the Trinitron KV 1215 I picked up last week at a thrift. It was sitting there clean as a whistle, not a mark, and the picture and color is still outstanding. All that for $7

Jeffhs
01-19-2006, 02:52 AM
Hmmm. :scratch2: I'm not sure, but I think the KV-1215 might be from the late '60s or very early '70s.

BTW, it never ceases to amaze me how much really good equipment gets sent to thrift stores, Goodwill, etc.--still works and not a scratch, but the owner just doesn't want or need it anymore. Your Sony is a bargain at $7, especially if it works well. I find excellent bargains like that on ebay from time to time; I have several vintage and antique Zenith radios I won in ebay auctions, which all work very well and were very reasonably priced.

Jeffhs
01-19-2006, 03:09 AM
My first Trinitron I bought new in 1986. Model KV-2080R. The remote got smashed during a move years ago. Wish I cound find another! This set has performed flawlessly for 20 years. My main TV is a Sony Trinitron model KV-32522 which I bought as a floor model around 1998. Great picture.

Have you tried using a universal remote? Most can be programmed for Sony, and work very well. I use an All For One universal with my entertainment system (RCA CTC185 19" TV, digital cable box and service from Comcast, CyberHome DVD player, Panasonic VCR) and it works great with everything but the DVD. I still have to use the DVD's own remote to control the player. For some strange reason, CyberHome DVD players will not work with universal remotes--only their own. :dunno: This is pointed out at some length on CyberHome's web site, in the FAQ section. Don't get me wrong; the DVD player works great with my TV and I like it a lot, but I wish it would work with my universal remote as well. Can't figure out for the life of me why CyberHome refuses to design its DVD players to work with universal remotes. Oh well...

domfjbrown
01-19-2006, 04:42 AM
Pioneer Laserdisc player remote codes don't work on universal remotes either - you can't even teach the remote the codes in "learn" mode :( Hence why I gave up on a learning remote and sold it...

dr.ido
01-19-2006, 04:55 AM
Strange, I've used a cheapo universal remote on several Pioneer LD players. It covered all the basic functions (play, stop, pause, forward, backward, etc), but not some others (audio track select, karaoke functions on some players).

On the other hand I have never been able to get a universal remote to work on any DVD player I've owned, or on the Jerrold 550 series analog cable boxes that were in use here until recently (the digital service had been introduced, but the analog system is still running for the moment).

domfjbrown
01-19-2006, 05:25 AM
Maybe it's only UK-spec model Pioneer LDs that have this issue?

rcaman
01-19-2006, 12:21 PM
we used to have an older lady that lived here. she had a 13" sony that was bought new by george jones he gave that set to her. it had a great picture. last time i serviced it was years ago and the crt was geting worn but it still had a good picture it had a zillion hours on it. she since has moved. steve

Urizen
01-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Have you tried using a universal remote?

Yep, sure have, but they can't access some of the features such as audio control. :no: Thanks, though!

Andyman
01-19-2006, 07:27 PM
I'm not a TV guy, but when i'm out scrounging stereo gear, I've snagged a few Trinitrons. They were the set to have back in the 70s, when I couldn't afford one.

We've got an old 21" Trinitron up in the bedroom, a newer KV2780 down here in the basement (my main set), and I think we gave Kegger a 19" for his brother. The 21" looks great upstairs and is prolly 30 years old :yes:

Telecolor 3007
03-19-2006, 07:57 AM
Well, I've told you about an relative of mine who had problems with colors at an 2 yrs. old "Trinitron"; do you know what was the problem: the C.R.T. runed out of bussines :yikes: :jawdrop: :pistols: (and runed out out of warranty, 2-3 month ago :tears:
Bloody 2$ products :pistols:

larschr
03-19-2006, 08:53 AM
Here is my KV1310, found in a trash container last christmas. I brought it home, plugged it in and it worked. After some adjustments i got a fairly good picture, but not perfect. The colors are a bit "strange" og there are some black shadows on the left side of the screen. The cabinet is also in fairly good condition; some dents and scratches, but not too bad. I have not replaced any parts yet.

Telecolor 3007
09-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Do ya think it diserves to buy me an 1990-1994 made "Sony" <<Trinitron>> or the C.R.T. is arleady too used. Be aware, that, here in Romania we use P.A.L., not N.T.S.C. !

dr.ido
09-06-2006, 07:36 AM
My Sony PVM-2030 is at least that old if not older and still has a great picture. There are some minor convergence issues that I will get around to fixing sometime. This one was used heavily enough to burn a time code into the corner of the screen, but otherwise it still has plenty of brightness and good color.

I don't hesistate to buy old Trinitrons, especially pro monitors. I've got an older PVM-2530 (it has no S-video inputs, so it's an early one) waiting for me to pick it up right now (I have to make a space for it).

I have seen some early 90s sets with CRTs that were starting to get weak, but there are plenty of sets out there that old and older with good CRTs.

There is at least one Trinitron model that seemed to have more than it's fair share of bad CRTs. I can't remember the model number, but for a while every one that came through was either green or purple. I looked for a picture of that set online, but I couldn't find one. I haven't seen one in ages.

Telecolor 3007
09-06-2006, 07:44 AM
I herad about people that are "complaining" that theyr old <<Trinitrons>> are still in use afet 15-16 yrs!!!
I want a set like that too! :guitar: :rockon:

nasadowsk
09-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Yeah, I knew someone with a mid 80's one that didn't have video inputs (?). Worked GREAT, and they couldn't bring themselves to dump a working TV.

Told 'em it'd never die. they didn't seem too thrilled :)

dr.ido
09-08-2006, 02:13 PM
Back in the 80s sets (Trintron of otherwise) with video inputs were the exception rather than the normal. Also, some sets that old did have video inputs, but they were on oddball connectors. I have seen at least one old Trintron set that have an 8 pin DIN connector on the back marked "Multi" that provided both a composite video and an RGB input.

truetone36
09-11-2006, 06:22 PM
I have a KV-1201 and a KV-1500, both ca. 1969-70. Both were curbside finds and both still work quite well. The older Sonys seem to last forever.

Dumont-First with the finest in television. :yes:

Telecolor 3007
09-18-2006, 04:52 PM
For the ones that are intrested for an old "Sony":
http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-TRINITRON-20-TELEVISION-SET-KV-20TS30-TV-COLOR-NR_W0QQitemZ110032474370QQihZ001QQcategoryZ15082QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

yagosaga
12-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Someome owns an pre 1990 "Sony" <<Trinitron>>? Those sets offered a better picture than the other sets made back then?
If you got pcitures of some old <<Trinitron>> put them.

I have got two old Sony Trinitrons. Both models are KV1300E, the first Trinitrons, sold in Germany. Both picture tubes have excellent emission on all three guns (approx. 0.8 to 1.2 mA) and excellent pictures. One set failed due to overloading D.C.
Sony did not implemented a PAL delay line module. These sets are NTSC sets with hue control which are adjusted to receive PAL broadcasts.

http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold/archiv/TV/sony/img/SonyKV1300EinBetrieb.jpg

Eckhard

fujifrontier
12-15-2006, 12:47 AM
oh yes... excellent Trinitrons indeed.

I had a KV-1215 that I gave away to someone. I already have a 12" plastic-case sony and no room for the 1215. I felt bad because i never had time to use it and I'd rather give it to someone who would use it every day.

Although, I slightly burned the tube (left it on a weather channel and left the house in a hurry, didn't come back till 8-9hr later), it seemed to fade away after a while. Great picture.... although i remember it did have a problem with horiz height

jedo1507r
12-15-2006, 12:56 AM
I had a KV-1946R, parents bought it in Korea back in 1983. They had a 19-inch RCA which was common - even in Korea, but they bought this and an SL-J7 Beta deck. Those went together quite well.

Too bad we donated it to the local SA. But in its place, a 1994 KV-27S15 which had a slight tuner issue, resolved with vacuuming the tuner and clearing most of the dust.

As far as aperture grille monitors, I'm using a 1997 Iiyama VisionMaster 17 with a Mitsu. Diamondtron tube - and loving it.

zenith2134
12-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Righ now my only vintage trinitron is a KV1712, manufactured late 1977. I love it its amazing how nice the tube has held up and it has instant-on. Old Sony was hard to beat.

fujifrontier
12-15-2006, 09:40 PM
yes I agree

Dale A B
12-17-2006, 09:22 PM
I found a Sony KV-1723D at a garage sale this past summer. Had most of the paperwork, and it did work when they plugged it in. For some reason, I can't get any color picture, so it's currently stored. I can't remember if I gave them a dollar for it or if they told me to haul it away! Kind of a neat tv with built-in handles for easier carting around. Build date is Dec 1976.

My currrent basement tv is a Sony KV-27TS31, built Nov 92. This set had a high-frequency whine that would disappear if you pushed on the front panel. Was fixed under warranty. At about age 10, it developed an hour-glass picture that was repaired for $100. The same thing has happened over the course of last year, but has not worsened past 1" vertical black bars on the sides, making it basically a 25" tv. With a standard tv antennae, we still get a great picture, and dvd's run thru it are fine (with black bars still, tho).

daler

wiseguy
12-30-2006, 04:18 PM
here is a couple of sony trinitrons,the top set is a sony kv-1723 from 1975,(manufacture date on back),it replaced the 1722 which had the chopper power supply..the bottom is one of sony's first 26" large screen consoles 1982solid walnut,has its original 710AB22 that everyone seems to think didnt last long,i bought it from the original owner,with paper work,they said it was used lots..I have completely recapped the top sets sweep circuits,and mostly the large sets..they work excellent,what is so neat about the top set is it is so slim and sleek,and it was an expensive set...interesting thing is they consume less energy running at the same time than one of my plasma sets..

cincy
12-30-2006, 05:18 PM
I have a KV 1510 and a KV 1512--both Sonys work fine.

Andyman
12-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Well, we got a HDTV for Christmas, so the 21" KV-2142R from the bedroom is the odd man out. I've got it on CL right now for $20.00, but if any of you guys wants to come and get it, it's yours.
Free for pickup, but this thing isn't getting shipped :no:

arm013
12-30-2006, 06:39 PM
I have an old Apple Multiple Scan 20 Display monitor that is a Sony Trinitron in desguise. I had one that died on me and took it apart to find the Sony Trinitron logo inside the Apple case. This current monitor has served me well for nearly 10 years of constant use and abuse. Very easy on the eyes (not harsh). The only down side is it takes up half the desktop and looks outdated.

rcaman
12-30-2006, 08:39 PM
here is a couple of sony trinitrons,the top set is a sony kv-1723 from 1975,(manufacture date on back),it replaced the 1722 which had the chopper power supply..the bottom is one of sony's first 26" large screen consoles 1982solid walnut,has its original 710AB22 that everyone seems to think didnt last long,i bought it from the original owner,with paper work,they said it was used lots..I have completely recapped the top sets sweep circuits,and mostly the large sets..they work excellent,what is so neat about the top set is it is so slim and sleek,and it was an expensive set...interesting thing is they consume less energy running at the same time than one of my plasma sets..
i sold several of those consloes new, quite pricey but sold good. we didnt have good luck out of the picture tubes went down rather quickley. and the flybacks was the first to go. steve

jedo1507r
12-30-2006, 08:48 PM
i sold several of those consloes new, quite pricey but sold good. we didnt have good luck out of the picture tubes went down rather quickley. and the flybacks was the first to go. steve

Speaking of that model, I recently saw that same model as that console for $30 at a SA Thrift. The console's picture was predominantly green.

andy
12-31-2006, 11:47 AM

fujifrontier
01-02-2007, 07:26 PM
http://audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35138&d=1167517467

i REALLY like that console!!!

Volvo242GT
01-03-2007, 01:57 AM

Ah, the old RM-735 remote? Sony superceded it to the RM-732 sometime in the early-mid '90s. A bit larger, and has four extra buttons that the KV-2080R and the KV-2792R don't use.

Our Sony TV's are: the KV-2792R, which is our first one from 1988. Has IF assembly trouble, so its tuner is a SLV-595HF Sony VHS VCR - soon to be replaced with a satellite receiver. The second Sony is a KV-13TR24 from 1991, which works fine, except that the sound seems weak as it has become older. Third is a KV-32XBR95S from 1992. Also works fine.

Also have a couple Sony Trinitron monitors in use. Both of them CPD-20sf2's. One's mine and has split duty, either being used with my B&W PowerMac or my Dell desktop, and the other's used on my father's Dell desktop.

-J

rca2000
01-03-2007, 02:20 AM
Do ya think it diserves to buy me an 1990-1994 made "Sony" <<Trinitron>> or the C.R.T. is arleady too used. Be aware, that, here in Romania we use P.A.L., not N.T.S.C. !

THIS is the "rule of the thumb" for newer(early '90's-now) trinitron sets that have the "IK blanking" ckt.

IF the picture (INCLUDING menu) is "flashing" on and off, at turn-on,(and if it is NOT "mechanically intermittent, as in "slapping the cabinet makes it come back"--these often have bad connections in the vertical, video and IF areas) and takes a while to warm up, and when(if) it does stop flashing and produce a steady picture--if the picture is fuzzy, dim and/or washed-out--BAD CRT!! No IF's AND's or BUTS about it. nd--do NOT try and "hit" one--it WILL fade again-usually in 2 months or LESS--and look WORSE than before!!

kx250rider
01-03-2007, 12:00 PM
THIS is the "rule of the thumb" for newer(early '90's-now) trinitron sets that have the "IK blanking" ckt.

IF the picture (INCLUDING menu) is "flashing" on and off, at turn-on,(and if it is NOT "mechanically intermittent, as in "slapping the cabinet makes it come back"--these often have bad connections in the vertical, video and IF areas) and takes a while to warm up, and when(if) it does stop flashing and produce a steady picture--if the picture is fuzzy, dim and/or washed-out--BAD CRT!! No IF's AND's or BUTS about it. nd--do NOT try and "hit" one--it WILL fade again-usually in 2 months or LESS--and look WORSE than before!!

100% correct. Only thing I might add is that I have put hardwired brighteners in those, which buys a few months or a year. Also, if you turn the G2 SLIGHTLY down, I have found that it will fool the circuit and allow the picture to come on and stay on faster.

Keep an eye out for another set. That one isn't worth fooling with unless you can get another one to rob the CRT out of.

Charles

Telecolor 3007
07-31-2007, 09:13 AM
I saw and 1990 "Sony" <<Trinitron>> and it still woked well. Some other people talled me that they are still good... maybe the one made for U.S.A. where bad...

Some is selling an tv 21" monitor "Sony" <<Trinitron>> K-20PS1 for 100 bucks. I think the price is to high for an old tv monitor like this (if it was and tv maybe I would have give him the money).

radiotvnut
07-31-2007, 11:38 AM
I have a mid '80's Trinitron model KV-1972R that I watch everyday. This was given to me about 4-5 years ago by a TV shop that was going to throw it out. They said lightning had struck it and the customer didn't want to spend any money on it. I replaced the bridge rectifier and a resistor and it's been kicking since then. I'm not a big fan of modern Sony TV's. It seems like the newer ones I find have either a bad CRT or flyback.

Kiwick
08-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Hi you all,

I have a couple of older trinitron TVs i'm going to fix sooner or later...

One is a 1985 22 inch stereo set (i don't remember the model, it's made in the UK and has a flat protective glass in front of the screen) we bought it new, it needed a flyback in 1994, and has been our main set until 2002 when it failed again and was replaced by a 1976 Philips 26 inch set

it still works, but it would briefly display a blue screeen and shut off whenever a very bright white picture has to be displayed

The other one is a 1972 KV-1300 i've found on the roadside, the IF board has been messed up in a real clumsy repair attempt, there are some missing transistors, and a lot of makeshift handwiring and hot glue... the set is displaying a raster but of course the IF is absolutely dead... i would need a schematic for this set...

Can anyone help me to repair them?

Telecolor 3007
08-07-2007, 04:38 AM
At a repair shop they have a "Sony" <<Trinitron>> that looks almost like this one, but I think the screen is smaller (19" or 20" inch screen) and the plastic from the front side is green. I wonder if it's working only in P.A.L./SECAM, or if it's have also N.T.S.C. input. But the guys there prefere to hold it in place, rather than sell it. And in front, they had the case with the C.R.T. and some components (not all) of an samll (5"-7" I think) of an '60's portable Japanesee tv :tears: Uh, oh, I'm an Romanian but sorry to say the Romanian have the bad habbit to desrtroy everything that is old. :thumbsdn:

Kiwik, sorry to say, but I don't think the poeple here could help you. U.S.A. "Sony" have different schematics from Europeanen "Sony". I live in Europe. If you tell me the model, maybe I can help you.

sonytc854
10-14-2007, 05:08 PM
I have a really nice 25" XBR from the mid 80s I bought in a thrift store for $75. It has a fantastic picture, I just had to fix a bad solder joint on a big resister that was causing the luma to cut out. Now I'm having trouble with the color saturation fading in and out. I don't really want to get rid of it, but I looked at a nice Panasonic 42" plasma the other day ... :(

Anyone want to buy it? It must weigh well over 50 lbs.

Edit: telecolor, i used to know someone who had that exact set!

fujifrontier
10-14-2007, 05:58 PM
pictures.

i'm also considering a flat panel display... to use as a computer monitor.

kx250rider
10-15-2007, 01:54 PM
color saturation fading in and out

That may just be a dirty ACC control. I forget where it is on that set, but in the chroma section on the board someplace; the kind with a small hole to turn it from the foil side of the board. Very common problem. Otherwise, you have more cold solder joints.

Charles

sonytc854
10-17-2007, 11:17 PM
The color also goes a touch green at times.... I'll have to look into it. Even though I'm picking up my new Sony 40" LCD tomorrow, I can't bring myself to get rid of this set yet.

kv20xbr
10-18-2007, 03:14 PM
1985 sony trinitron kv-20xbr this tv is almost as old as me. parents bought. gotten pretty rough over the years still works too. just makes a strange popping sound and the screen has a minor hourglass look to it http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/10/17/1519563/10-18-07_1548.jpg[/IMG]

site123a
10-18-2007, 05:06 PM
just makes a strange popping sound and the screen has a minor hourglass look to it It could be the flyback going out.

radiotvnut
10-18-2007, 05:16 PM
1985 sony trinitron kv-20xbr this tv is almost as old as me. parents bought. gotten pretty rough over the years still works too. just makes a strange popping sound and the screen has a minor hourglass look to it http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/10/17/1519563/10-18-07_1548.jpg[/IMG]

My Sister and ex Brother-In-Law bought this exact same model set around '85. This, of course, was a high end set and I know they paid a nice chunk of $$ for it. It saw heavy use for about 10 or 12 years until the CRT finally got too weak to make a satisfactory picture. I remember theirs had seperate speakers and every type of input one could possibly need. That was a time when A/V jacks were considered a luxery. Now, it's pretty much standard even on the cheapest TV's.

andy
10-18-2007, 07:53 PM

fujifrontier
10-22-2007, 10:18 PM
awww.. it reminds me of hte PVM-2030. I love those big cube monitors

Snade
10-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Ok, this thread got me hooked.:yes:

I just picked up a 19" KV-1923 made in 1982.

Love the clean lines of this set and the picture quality is excellent.

Paid 20 bucks at Goodwill. It is in great shape.

http://www.gallagher.com/photos/2007/sony_trinitron1.jpg

http://www.gallagher.com/photos/2007/sony_trinitron2.jpg

Cheers, Snade

site123a
10-27-2007, 01:04 PM
What is the best way to get scratches off of metal? The metal speaker grille on my Sony has scratches on it, I've tried brasso but it didn't work...

ChrisW6ATV
10-27-2007, 02:30 PM
That is a great TV. My first bought-new color TV was a Sony KV-1922, the model right before yours. The '1922 had a mechanical volume/power control rather than buttons, and only 12 channel buttons versus 14 on yours. It cost US$450 at a catalog store called McDade's in the Chicago area in 1979. I had saved up for that TV for months at my near-minimum-wage job. I sold it in 1982 after buying the Sony Profeel 19" monitor and tuner.

site123a
10-27-2007, 06:26 PM
What is the best way to get scratches off of metal? The metal speaker grille on my Sony has scratches on it, I've tried brasso but it didn't work...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66279&stc=1&d=1193537697

They look small in the photo but there not...
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66280&stc=1&d=1193537697

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66281&stc=1&d=1193537697???

kx250rider
10-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Unfortunately, I haven't ever had luck repairing that coated brushed aluminum. I used to have plenty of accidents with those grilles, so I kept spare new ones on hand. Even carrying some of those against the stomach would cave in the grille. Bad design on the best designed TVs.

There are specialists who do that type of repairs, but it isn't cheap. I have a guy here in Los Angeles who does it with stainless steel and aluminum trim parts on vintage cars, and I bet he'd charge about $150 to rework one of those Sony grilles.

Best would be to live with it, or keep an eye on your local Craigslist for another set maybe with a good grille.

Charles

andy
10-28-2007, 11:55 AM

fujifrontier
10-29-2007, 09:36 PM
true dat

site123a
10-29-2007, 10:55 PM
I guess you guys are right, it just annoys me that I caused the scratches. I was trying getting some dents out of the grille. I got them out but ended up causing scratches in the process, I didn't think the grille would scratch up so easlly. I guess this is one of those "live and learn" moments...:worried:

Snade
11-03-2007, 09:08 PM

Cheers, Snade

Spent the afternoon watching college football on this TV setup in my garage with a rabbit ears antenna. Wow, what a great picture and vivid colors.

I took the back off, and with a dry paintbrush and power vacuum, I carefully cleaned off 25 years of dust on the inside. Used windex and a soft rag on the outside and this thing looks like new.

Thanks for getting me hooked on older trinitron.

Cheers, Snade

NowhereMan 1966
11-03-2007, 11:15 PM

Cheers, Snade

She's a beauty, a good catch.

Telecolor 3007
11-04-2007, 04:34 PM
That's an awsome set.

kx250rider
11-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Getting rare too... You used to see those at every garage sale and everyplace, but not anymore. late 70s and early 80s sets are getting about as rare as 40s sets were 20 years ago.

Charles

sampson159
11-08-2007, 10:28 AM
ive just got a 86 model sony from john in cleveland. this thing rocks! the picture is so good. i never cared much for those old sonys,but i like this one.i ve made it my personal watcher in the garage. cant say enough about how sharp the picture is.for the 10 dollars i paid-this was my best buy yet.

Telecolor 3007
09-06-2010, 04:30 AM
Here are some early '70's ones: http://antique-tv-blazianu.pagesperso-orange.fr/TVjapan.htm