View Full Version : 58 RCA 21" b/w with remote

Adam
11-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Its good to see AK up and running again, but I lost all the stuff I had in the temporary b/w forum, so here's a short version: For those of you that weren't there I got a 1958 RCA 21" B/W with remote, and the remote is attached by wire. The remote is original, it says RCA on it. This is the only set I have ever seen with a remote attached by wire. I was wondering if there are any others out there?
Also, the crt was very dim, but I used a rejuvinator, this helped a bit, then attached a picture tube brightener, and it seems ok now.
The vert will sync, but just barely. Anyway, I plan on recapping this set completely, all paper caps and electrolytics. I don't see much room to put the new electrolytics though.
The remote will adjust the volume, turn the set on/off, but the channel changer in broken, I haven't looked into it yet, but it makes some noise when I press the button, but the dial doesn't turn.

jpdylon
11-09-2005, 12:15 AM
If the set is making noise when you try to change the channel, there is a good chance that the motor isn't shot, which is good. I would look at the gears that the motor is attached to. They are most likely nylon or plastic, and have crumbeled away to nothing.
Check out the antique electronic supply (tubesandmore.com) They sell the old mallory twist-lock can type filters if space is an issue.

Can't wait to see the end result. Got any pics of the set yet?

Hope you enjoy that motorola :thmbsp:

bgadow
11-09-2005, 12:24 PM
Philco was offering a wired remote at that time. I'm not sure who else. Thats a great novelty when showing these sets off.

David Roper
11-09-2005, 01:22 PM
General Electric had wired remote sets too. Zenith had gone from its infamous "flashmatic" to ultrasonic by this time, while some Magnavox sets of that vintage had RF remotes. I had one of those Maggies, but the remote had disappeared long before I got it. No idea what it looked like.

Chad Hauris
11-09-2005, 10:09 PM
you might check the power train from the motor to the channel selector...could be there is gummed up grease in the motor bearings preventing it from starting up...you may have to disassemble the mech, clean, lubricate and re-install.