View Full Version : CTC-16 hard of hearing + alignment instructions???

nasadowsk
10-30-2005, 07:37 PM
Ok, I want to get a color set working for my apartment (no way is the '7 comming over here), and I'm split between my CTC-16 9smaller cabinet + cooler looks) or my Sylvania (CTC-15 based but dead vert section and horz drive problems). Anyway, I figure i'll tackle the RCA first anyway. The IF section was a mess on it, and I got it aligned roughly using the Sylvania's book as a guide - I don't have the RCA shop proceedure for '16XL. It's hard of hearing - the Sylvania's got MUCH better sensitivity. I'm guessing I either screwed up, or what I suspect is really going on - something's amiss in the tunner. What is the normal range of AGC voltages I should see on it, and the B+? There any common sensitivity killers (I recall hearing some of them were prone to bad tubes)?

Ok, I also need a copy of the actual RCA book - AG Tannenbaum no longer has it! Who else carries schematics and Sams and all on these?

I need to straighten out the chroma section too :(

I know this set's got the performance in there, it just needs some work...

Chad Hauris
10-30-2005, 07:50 PM
I will check the sams or the field service guide when I get back to the shop. I have the actual field service guide from RCA plus the sams. One test you can do is to take another transformer powered set w/good tuner and plug the IF cable from the ctc-16 into it, this will confirm your IF is working ok.
This may be a silly question but are you sure your IF tubes are good...we are working on a ctc-30 which had poor sensitivity and it turned out to be bad 1st IF tube.

nasadowsk
10-30-2005, 08:16 PM
I'm gonna double check and maybe replace the IF tubes. I'm thinking though it'd either agc or tunner related, even with the agc up all the way I can't get it to overload on our house signal which is VERY strong (it can overload any other TV I have). It's a Nuvista, there's obviously SOMETHING wrong because everyone tells me these things are *amazing* when it comes to getting signals...

Hey - there's no silly questions :) I very well might have a bad tube in there..

I'm going by the old advice of getting the B&W picture perfect THEN attacking color. But I've got a nice nice HP sig gen I can use as a marker :) Even got a current cal sticker on it :)